Quantcast

How much electricity does it cost to run your projector?

cybercider

Standard Member
What does it cost in electricity to run a projector and surround sound system?

Anybody noticed any significant increase in their utilities bill?

CC

deadmonkey

Novice Member
I believe my 4 year old panasonic projector is 140w, but I'd be very surprised if you kept one on all the time so doubt you'd notice it's impact on your bills.

qwert-e

Novice Member
A projector is around 200W and an amp is around 100W (average), so lets say 300W. 1 kwh (a 1000 watt appliance running for 1 hour) costs around 15p, so you're talking about 5p an hour for a PJ + amp.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
A projector is around 200W and an amp is around 100W (average), so lets say 300W. 1 kwh (a 1000 watt appliance running for 1 hour) costs around 15p, so you're talking about 5p an hour for a PJ + amp.
In other words, it costs you more in terms of the cost of the lamp rather than the electricity assuming a 2000 hour lamp at £200 equals 10p/hour.

D

dovercat

In winter it saves on the heating bill as it doubles as a fan heater. I think the cooling fans are to stop the lamp from melting the projector.

qwert-e

Novice Member
In other words, it costs you more in terms of the cost of the lamp rather than the electricity assuming a 2000 hour lamp at £200 equals 10p/hour.
And supposing you buy a projector for £1000 and get 5000 hours use out of it before it breaks / becomes obsolete, thats 20p per hour, so we're upto a grand total of 35p per hour :) :smashin:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
And supposing you buy a projector for £1000 and get 5000 hours use out of it before it breaks / becomes obsolete, thats 20p per hour, so we're upto a grand total of 35p per hour :) :smashin:
Or in my case, suppose you bought a projector and then upgraded it for the new model after 200 hours....three times. :eek: I don't even want to think about the hourly cost in depreciation. Thankfully I'm happy with the latest one as it's approaching 150 hours now, I hope to keep this one a bit longer than the last. :D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
As Kelvin says depreciation is the biggest cost to factor in running a pj.

If you are constantly craving for a better image you can spend thousands upgrading but if you are sensible:D and spend under £1000 and keep the machine till the bulb goes(hopefully 2000-3000hrs) it will have cost you 20p-30p per hr which will probably be over at least a 3-4 yr period.

What other fun can you have for that kind of money.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom