1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does one need to spend to get what sort of picture quality? (newbie alert!)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NicolasB, May 28, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    NicolasB? A newbie? Well, on the subject of televisions, pretty much.

I'm currently vaguely considering the possiblity of buying a new display, as my faithful Panasonic TXW32D4DP is four years old, now, and it'd be nice to think that there have been some advances in technology over that period.

My immediate instinct is to think about something rather higher-end than a simple "television" - but (quite aside from the fact that getting into questions like "should I go for a projector or a plasma" really belong on 3 fora at once, but can only be posted on one) if I do start thinking about high-resolution displays then that will probably have to wait until I've saved up rather more dosh, as the audio side of things is about to leave me penniless. :) There's also the question of whether it really makes sense to plough a lot of money into an expensive display now, when we don't yet know for certain what video sources are going to be doing a couple of years down the line; how important will HDCP be, what are the firewire vs DVI considerations, what resolution will blue laser players operate at, and so on. Perhaps it would be better to spend a bit less (£1500? £2000?) now and upgrade seriously a couple of years down the line.

Sources at present are a Sky+ box, an Arcam DV27, and (rarely) an elderly JVC D-VHS recorder. (Not capable of high-definition!)

So, let us confine our attention to TVs for the moment. The basic question is: how much money would I have to spend to get a display that is noticeably superior to my current set?

My faithful Panasonic is, as I said, about 4 years old now. By the standards of 32" widescreen sets of that age, it's pretty good. At the time I bought it there wasn't really anything much better - there was Phillips model that I remember being comparable, but to improve on it significantly I'd have had to pay twice as much for a Sony set that would have only been 28".

The screen isn't flat, but it's not that badly curved, especially not in the vertical direction. Contrast is ok. Colour is good. Sharpness is good. The geometry is ever so slightly off in places, but you only notice this if you have it in 4:3 mode because the sides of the picture aren't absolutely ruler-straight. It has its own "100Hz" system. Accepts NTSC input quite plausibly. Has an RGB scart. Does Pro-Logic. So, not too bad really.

If I were to buy a new set then these are some of the things I'd be thinking about:
    • The sound would be completely irrelevant. No TV is going to have built-in speakers and decoders that would do a better job than the audio system I hope to end up with. (Or at least I'd be upset if it did!)
    • By contrast, picture quality is critical.
    • Would need to be at least 32", maybe bigger, and widescreen (duh).
    • Would either need to accept a progressive scan input, or to have an internal deinterlacer that would do as good a job as the Silicon Image 503 board in my DV27.
    • Accepting PAL progressive scan as well as NTSC would be a big point in its favour.
    • Not too fussed about it having a terrestrial digital decoder, unless: it's built in such a way that the picture quality is better than anything generated by an external box, it has multi-format outputs for recording the terrestrial digital signal, and it has a digital sound output.
    • Still needs to look good for 4:3 material.
    Any thoughts? How much would I need to spend, and what are some models that represent "as good as you can get for the price"?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NicholasB
    Well Sir, i think what you are talking about has to be Loewe CRT the TAG of Displays (in a good way) they are upgradable, get the best reviews etc.
    So if 1200dpi is the standard of blu-ray Loewe will probably have an upgrade if possible!!!
    They dont have a great website unfortunatley.
    I think Plasma are too new where as CRT is at its peak and Loewe Make arguably the best all round CRT'sHave a search and see what you think!

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broadcast studio monitor or a 32" Widescreen PC CRT monitor. Nice.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'd be better off sticking with your set for a couple more years and then going for a large(42"+) high resolution display.You seem to have a more than acceptable picture and any faults it has you will have learned to live with a long time ago.If you buy a new set you will notice faults regardless of make or price.If you had a faulty set that needed replacing it would be a different story,but in your current position I think things would work out better if you wait.Imagine how much better(and cheaper)plasmas will get in the next 2 or 3 years.All just my humble opinion but I hope there's some rational logic there!

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    HornyDragon: www.loewe.de ?

nathan_silly: Did you have any particular models in mind? I don't actually recall ever seeing a widescreen computer monitor in action, although I know there are such things. Don't know how much one would pay for the rarety value.... Might be neat if I eventually went down the HTPC route. I've no idea where to even start looking for a broadcast studio monitor....

silent lucidity: You may very well be right. I just thought it would be interesting to explore some options.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Sony make a 28" Widescreen PC monitor, cost about £2500. The large mixing/animation studio's use them.

Not sure if a 32" version is available.

Regarding BBC studio monitors, again cost of the things is probably not worthwhile (probably get a Plasma or CRT PJ for similar money)

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    £2500 is quite a lot for a 28" screen. I think that if I were going to spend enough to get a 32" version of that (assuming there is such a thing) then pricewise I'm already well up into plasma territory....

Edit: actually, do you mean this one? If so, then that's £2500 for a 23" screen, not 28".

Maybe I could get a 17" widescreen monitor and sit really close to it.... :)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    That is indeed the site for loewe but i don't speak german! So it wasn't great for me! If you can speak German i guess its not a problem.

:blush:
    THere a link at the bottom for English!!!

So what do think then nic?

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's a Sony 28" PC CRT widescreen monitor, not LCD.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Oh, right. :)

I hate websites like that. All style and presentation and absolutely no useful information whatsoever. :thumbsdow