1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does my CRT cost to run?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Roland @ B4, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This was a questions asked of me recently by one of my customers having receieved a large electricity bill since his projector was installed.

CRT projectors draw typically about 2 amps when running. Quite a bit more on startup when the EHT and big capacitors charge up.
    Looking at the common projectors about 300 to 600 watts. So lets say it is 450 watts.

Electricity is charged by the killowatthour kWh this is the standard unit we receive our Electric bills in.

Looking at my bill (supplied by a Gas company:rolleyes: ) A kWh is charged at 6pence.

So to run his projector for one hour would use. 0.45 of a kWh
    which would cost.

0.45 x 6 = 2.7 pence

Perhaps some one could do the figures for the DVD player, scaller, amp etc.

But pretty good value for money I'd say.

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'd say a DVD player was fairly negligable, probably drawing in about 0.25p an hour based on your figues, and my DVD player using about 42watts. So that's 0.5p a film (on average), which i make to be about £5.50 to watch 3 films a day over the course of the year. Of course then there's the cost of powering the PJ, and HTPC etc - Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the local Odeon. No sticky seats either! I'm not sure on figures for other equipment, altho i would imagine the surround amps to be the most costly to power, maybe anything up to 4KW for a biamped 7.1 sytem with subs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.