1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much doees size matter?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pin0chet, May 15, 2005.

1. pin0chet

pin0chet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Im moving into a new house in a couple of months. After a long time I have convinced my wife that it is best that we convert the second bedroom into a Home Cinema.
    now the thing is that the room is only 3m wide and 4m long is that a problem?
    And should I consider the size of the room when I'm buying speakers.

The setup I'm thinking about buying is:
    AVR - Denon 3805
    DVD - Panasonic DVD97EBS
    Speakers - Jamo E700PDD
    And a DLP Projector (havent found the one yet)

PS. is the Denon 3805 "overkill" on the jamo speakers or is that not a problem.

Many thanks in advance

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well my room is about the same size...it was wider but I have built units all along one side so it's closer to 3m now...and was once a bedroom.

I have three KEF9000 speakers for the fronts and two ceiling mounted KEF 5005s for the rears - sounds odd being on the ceiling but they work for me and free up valuable space - I also have a Rel Strata 5 sub...all these are powered by my 3805 which I feel is a good combination and suits me just fine.

I currently have a 6ft wide electric drop-down screen with space for a plasma behind but which currently just has a Simpson’s poster on the wall until the series 8 Panny's are released...I did have a 7ft screen before but found it too large for my liking

I have just upgraded to a Marantz VP-12S4 DLP PJ that is the dogs wotsits.

My only problem I've found with a 'small' room is unwanted noise from the PJ...now the S4 is pretty quiet but not quiet enough for me...especially as it's mounted directly above my head. So I built a hush box come storage unit come pelmet affair, which works wonders and as good as silences the PJ.

So it might be worthwhile looking at the Themescene H57 or H78 projectors if PJ noise bothers you.

Also I wish I had spent more time, and money, on sound proofing as being on the 1st floor it's makes a fair old racket downstairs when cranked up...perhaps I should have filled the void under the floorboards and put down two layers of MDF on top.

Cheers, Lee

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hmm, myself i dont think you can simply 'overkill' something. a nice reciever will give you better sound reguradless of the room. ie. better THD

as for the room, i think your probably wont find surround works as clearly as an bigger room.

as for the screen, why not think about TFT? not as big, however you dont need an 7 foot picture anyway, and there is no noise coming from an TFT plus you dont have to buy an costly blub every so often

anyway, hope that helps

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I pretty much agree with what loonatic has said, my room is about 3.5 metres x 3.5 metres so you should be okay with this size wise.
    Speaker wise i have two B&W 704s and a B&W HTM1 centre and these dont sound too big for the room, i also have M&K K4s at the rear and these work really well for surround duties.

The only problem that i do get is with the PJ being directly above my head then you do hear the fan on quiet moments.

5. pin0chet

pin0chet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response.

What about speakers? the jamoe700 looks a bit wimpy but they have got great reviews and they are cheap. but are they any good compared to full size floor standing?

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    are you talking about theses speakers?
    http://www.jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1633

if so, the sensitivity is rather lower so you need a lot more power to drive them (sensitivity is how much 1 watt worth of power is converted into noise, 85db is fairly low so that mean your need a lot more power to get the speaker at an normal level).

there is also no freq response marked on the site, which cant be an good thing.

The last thing is the power rating should be higher so there is no problems with the denon 3805. 100/w RMS speakers on an reciever which is 120w/RMS.

So if theses are the speakers, i do recommend something better as the speaker effects the sound quality the most, more than the reciever. unless your doing it on the cheap, then i wonder why you got an 3805 as you can get much cheaper recievers and then put the money into better speakers.

7. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you post a PIC of that projector scilencer plz loonatic sound a brillent idea

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    R2D2,

Here are a few pictures I took the other day...it needs a little finishing off inside...need to trim the hole for the fan and decide what to do about the back...plus I need to make the doors for the two side cupboards...but you get the ldea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Lee

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    What a great idea, the hushbox looks well smart :thumbsup:

10. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I like the cupboard/box section on the ceiling - its given me an idea of how i can possibly convert my spare bedroom!