How Much Do You Pay For Free Sixth Form Education

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My daughter will be starting at the local college in September for her 'free' sixth form education.

We have already a request for £140 to support extra curricular activities.

Accompanying it is a list of payments for each of the courses to cover materials, photocopying, books etc.

A third letter requesting payment to support sports activities.

All in all, nearly £300 per year for the 'free' education.

Add to that, fees for trips and visits that you are expected to do for each of the courses it is pushing £500 per year. These are the big trips during the holidays (they are extra) but the term time educational trips that you are more or less required to take.

Of course they are all voluntary - but the language is one of subtle threat that you must pay otherwise your child might stand out and be responsible for facilities not being available for others.

So how much are you paying for 'free' education?

Cheers,

Nigel

The biggest shock to us was being ask to pay for the bus pass on the school bus which was free for the secondary school. Shouldn't complain though, next year they are scrapping the whole School Bus Scheme to our catchment school and we'll have to get them there ourselves :suicide:

Some colleges/6th forms are struggling as funding keeps getting cut and look at ways to cut costs.

It's the same for a lot of school ages. Our daughters Pre-School was always collaring the Mrs in car park "Is there a reason you haven't paid the additional voluntary contribution yet?"

Erm, the clue is in the name!

The school I work at charges upwards of £22K a year for sixth formers. They still have to pay for pens and paper, trips and PE kit.

That can't be a State School though, can it?

No, it isn't. I think my (rubbish) point was that these are things that everyone has to pay for, it's not something you get "included" when the education isn't free.

No, it isn't. I think my (rubbish) point was that these are things that everyone has to pay for, it's not something you get "included" when the education isn't free.

The school I work at charges upwards of £22K a year for sixth formers. They still have to pay for pens and paper, trips and PE kit.

The primary amount that is expected £140 per year is not for pens, books, trips etc. All of those have to be paid for seperately. The £140 is for an unspecified contribution to running the the college.

Just to be clear, it isn't a large amount to me and I will pay it - it is really the way that it is presented, voluntary but expected.

Cheers,

Nigel

£60 a week on the train so far. about £60 on the uniform i think .
Still, with only 9 in his Eng Lit Alevel Class and 8 in his Media Class. It may be worth it !

The so called free education is never free. That's why I stick to homeschooling my kids. There are tons of awesome study websites and educational resources online that act as great reference materials for parents to home school their children.

Last edited:
Transport costs aside I work for an FE college and it was deemed 5 or so years ago by the government that post 16 (to 18 state) education could not levy any additional fee's "voluntary" or not.

Tracy has declared her location as being Seattle WA. So not really relevant to the UK.

I guess that it really depends on what subjects are being studied.

If your child does something like English literature and has lots of trips to see stage shows then these are usually £30 upwards per trip. If they do sports, then you're looking at £60 a time for football boots or running shoes.

If they are doing Maths, then there are usually few if any trips and few additional costs.

My own experience is that the actual education IS usually free, but that there are extras that get added on after that. Then there are things that aren't essential, but which make life much easier, like having a laptop.

It's like when you go on a package holiday and they have some excursions that are included in the cost and some that aren't.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom