1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do children cost?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BDCSTENG GARETH, Sep 5, 2005.

1. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now heres a question which should get a few answers...

I am getting married next year, and the talk of when to start a family is becoming more frequent :eek:

It will be after we get married, but I don't know wether I will be able to afford any new members for some years as I'll be paying off some £10k :eek: for the wedding!

I'm not looking for a spreadsheet budget, but a general rule of thumb...

I have no idea where to start, but I know the baby comes for free :rotfl: (I hope).

Cheers,

Gareth.

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    No experience, but they will cost as much as you have, plus a bit :laugh:

I'm getting the question too at the moment! :eek: :D

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    My first is now 6 months old.

Here's my tips.

1) Stock pile all the essentials during the pregnancy (nappies, wipes etc). We had enough to last us the first 4 months.

2) Babies aren't too expensive in the first year, so save as much of the Tax Credit/Child Benefit you can for the later years. Tax credit drops after the first year.

3) Don't buy them clothes from Next/Mothercare or other clothing/baby chains. What you get is not worth the money. Asda/Tescos or Sainsburys will half you clothing costs.

4) Beg borrow and steel. Not literally, but we have a few friends whom have had children recently, so we managed to borrow a cot they no longer needed until they want another kid. If you can get it free, take it!!!

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Get relatives to spread the age range of the gifts no point in having all 0-3 months and the sprog naked after. Grandmas 0-3, sisters/brothers 3-6 and aunty/uncles 6-12 months then friends toys. Saves a packet. :boring::nono:

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will take all of your disposable income (including AV funds) plus a bit more :(

Worth every penny for Jr Diversity!

6. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My first and so far only son is 18 months old now....

Initial costs can be quite high - cot, pram, clothing, feeding and changing stuff etc. but most people seem to be lucky as grandparents chip in here and there.

My wife looked into home made baby food so we've never really had to spend that much on shop bought food and its probably much better for the little one anyway.

The major cost is the loss of earnings. Unless you or your partner have a great employer then maternity pay isnt great, then when child care becomes a factor its sometimes difficult to see the benefits of going back to work. My wife works part time to pay for the childcare, it gives us a little more each month but it makes sure the wife doesnt go insane at home all day.

You can never afford it, you just make do when the situation arrises.

As mrtbag says, Tescos is great for clothes and boots tend to have quite a few sales. Ask for clothes for older babies, our son grew out of his stuff within a week or so !!

7. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im getting scared now!

There goes my motorcycle when one pops out :suicide:

Good idea about spreading costs etc.

Are there any bits I can pick up years in advance?

Mind you, If she finds a small stock pile in the loft, who knows what she'll think? :rolleyes:

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that the first 16 years can cost around £120K :eek: by the time you take everything in to account.

John

9. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the baby is born get your wife to shoplift all the required stock. She can claim post natal depression and get off scot free.

Can someone help me off this soapbox please?

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    I bought a brand new, black Fireblade and then a month later Vicki announced she was pregnant. As a couple we never used it again.
    Sold the bike about a year later to pay for a new kitchen and 5 years later don't see myself gettin another bike for years.

11. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :eek:

I hope my Bently is taken into account... :rotfl:

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Kids = 18-22 years of grief, pain, ear bending and money (2 years of toxic waste too).
    Murderers = 10 years, less with good behaviour.

Cynical? Moi ? :D

13. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Been thinking about it alot lately myself. Dont want to be to much older before we take the plunge. Iam 26 in a couple of weeks and always thought I would have kids when Iam in my late 20's :suicide: We just found out on friday that my brothers girlfriend is pregnant and then yesterday that my stepbrothers girlfriend is pregnant as well. Double shock for the folks they practicaly begged me not to make it a hat trick as they just couldnt take it. :D

Very pleased for my brother think it will do him the world of good think my step brother is stupid as he is only 20 and his girlfriend is 16 :eek:
    Honestly these young girls its like they cant decide what they want to do in life so they just get pregnant so as to have purpose :rolleyes:

14. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you start thinking about the cost, you will scare yourself and never take the plunge! Yes, they are expensive, yes they are worth it. There's been some useful advice handed out here, so can't add too much other than, if you want children, you will manage - and love it!

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A hell of a lot more if you split up with their mother

16. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Quality answer :rotfl:

Seriously though no matter what they cost they are worth every bead of sweat you lost working to afford them. :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

17. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got 2 now, one 2 and the other is 3.
    The first child is expensive in the sense of cots, prams, teddy's, etc.
    The best tip for that is spread the cost of the expensive items around the relatives.
    Either let them buy you the items or get the vouchers/money.
    First child was easy to set-up as we made sure evryone bought an age range of clothes. Nappies, milk, bottles and if you want, dummies are what you need to invest in. Plenty of bed linin and towels are also a must. Talc, sudacrem and colic drops (Life savers).
    Milk may sound easy, but you can't really buy that until they have been born. Luckily my first was on SMA Gold which is about £6 tin for a weeks worth. as they get older, should be no more that 3 tins a weeks.
    Second child was a bugger though as we bought all the nappies, and baby outfits again and stocked up on the milk. Problem was, when she was born she was lactose intollerent and have to have some special milk that I needed to drive 20 miles for and pick-up. That lasted for about 3 months until the doctor said, "and what milk are you feeding her", bugger me, all the money i spent (£12 a tin) and journey time to find out I could get in on prescription around the corner at the chemist (2 months worth at a time) and it was free.
    That's one of the other bonus's, their prescriptions are free and so are the wifes for the first year.
    Only I work and at an average wage and I would say it's cost about £5-6k to bring them up so far.
    Good tip about supermarket clothes. Nothing wrong with them. Same applies with the nappies. I'm not talking about the super value ones, just own brands.
    The other tip with nappies is if you register with a brand, they sometimes give you the option to trial them for 6 months and you feed back the comments.
    Playschool is the expensive area.
    My final tip is making sure your house is big enough.
    I live in a 2 up terrace and we just don't have enough room, same applies with the money to move to a 3 bedroom house.

Best of luck, and like I told my neighbour the other night "WELCOME TO HELL"!!!
    Only kidding.

18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We have an 11 month old and another one on the way (January). I wanted to be in a healthy financial state before I had kids, but that never happened ! There are all sorts of ways to cut costs down from borrowing from family and friends (Cots, buggies, toys) and making their food in a blender (BTW, this doesn't always work, our little girl will not eat anything that my wife has made and so we have to give her the Hipp Organic jars).

Another way to cut costs are to use re-usable nappies. They are kind of like a large square dishcloth that you fold in to 3 (So it's long and thin) then put this in to a nappy outer. Work well enough, can be thrown into the washer at 40 degrees and for an inital outlay is cheaper than non disposables by a fair margain (300 quid compared to 800 in a year I think the costs were). Also, if you're careful you can save them for the next child saving even more money !

Kids are great and you'll find yourself buying them things they probably wont need, but who cares !

Richie (Who nearly dropped his bacon buttie when the little one took her first steps yesterday !!)

19. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :nono: I cant believe Im sitting here at work getting brudy! :nono:

I live in a 2 bedroom terreced cottage in surrey. Not even enough room for me and the other half (with all my speakers on the stairs and bags or wires in the spare room)!

I think I'll have a boot sale next year... clear the place out!

Maybe i'll sell all the bits as a job lot on here...

My best mate has got stuff for his baby at the mo and he has offered to pass down to me (he's also my best man next year)

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    :D

21. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Children are very worthwhile
    If you earn less than £20,000 a year the government will pay you £1,600 a year for each one you have until they are 19, plus another £10 a week no matter what your income. I wish I had 10.

then
    If they goto 6th form (FE) from 16-19 they get paid £30 a week
    If they goto Uni (HE) they get £30 a week + all fees paid + full loan

22. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    On average a child is supposed to cost £140000 until they are 18. That was on the news ages ago. It is a lot but when you add every bit up it is very realistic.

So if you dont have one then you can retire with a ferrari and a porsche. :D

Only joking, please dont yell at me!

23. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

:devil: Now thats an idea...