1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much did you pay for your Panasonic TH42PWD7B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by phil_mo, Apr 2, 2005.

1. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought it may be interested to see what deals people are getting on this model of Panny screen.

I have just taken advantage of what I think is a cracking deal on a brand new Panasonic TH42PWD7B (Yes it is the UK version) from a seller on eBay.

Now I know the thought of purchasing a plasma, new or second hand, from eBay is a worrying one but this seller claimed the screens he was offering were brand new in an unopened box sourced directly from Panasonic UK with 1 year manufacturers warranty. The seller has very little feedback ratings so I asked if I could collect in person and and pay cash to which he agreed so bidding commenced...

I eventually won the screen for £1060 which also included Panasonic desktop stand and an s-video/component/composite terminal board.

Click here to view the auction.

If I hadn't bought the screen from eBay I would have gone through AV Sales who are currently offering the same package for around £1600 but you just cannot ignore a saving of over £500! :)

I collected the screen last week and all was as expected so I am now the proud owner of a TH42PWD7B (inc board and stand) for £1060, bargain me thinks!

[​IMG]

2. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum. This auction was discussed here before it closed. I noticed it on ebay about 48 hours before it was due to close and posted about it in one of the threads about PW7 prices. I must confess that I was of the opinion that it was too good to be true, I did however get as far as setting myself up with ebay and paypal and calling the seller on his mobile but eventually convinced myself that it was a fraud and didn't bid.

What I don't understand is how he can be making any money at these prices. What did he tell you about how he could sell them so cheap? What were his premises like? Was he operating from home or did he have a shop or an office?

- Julian

3. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Julian,

The seller owns a company that apparently installs AV systems into pubs/clubs and this was one of a few that were left over from a cancelled order.

As far as I know he runs the business from home and he came across as very genuine (I am a salesman myself so can usually spot a blagger very easily! ;) )

If you are in the market for a Panny screen I would certainly recommend contacting him! :smashin:

Phil

4. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil, and congratulations on one hell of a bargain. What you say is consistent with what he told me, i.e. that he installs these things for a living and that he had a batch to dispose of. A cancelled order makes sense.

By the way, what is the status with the guarantee? Did you get an official receipt from the guy? I assume this is all you need and then you register your screen with Panny using the paperwork (i.e. the warranty form) that comes in the box. Is this correct? The seller also confirmed to me on the phone that it is a full UK warranty, i.e. on site fix for a year as opposed to a European warranty that is only a one year return to base. Can you confirm this?

All this does somewhat reinforce my opinion that pretty much all the sellers of PWD7s are still being pretty agressive with what they charge. If PW7s are going at the £1,250 mark with a bundled board then I don't see why there is this £200-£300 premium for the PWD7. Also, if Richer Sounds could offer a PWD6 for £1,099 (although sadly now gone up to £1,299.95 I believe!) then it again seems to be an excessive premium for the PWD7.

Maybe I should contact this guy, he did say that he had more than just the 2 he was auctioning. As you say, a £500 saving isn't something to be taken lightly. The trouble is that for me to get to Lincoln is not easy at all so I would be dealing with a bit more of an unknown.

- Julian

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Still sounds too good to be true to me, that's way below UK trade, less than Alastair pays for his plasmas, at the volume he does. There's no way AV sales makes £500 on a deal, so they are being sold at a thumping loss. Ask yourself why? Is he that desperate to shift this year's hot seller? I could add £350 to that price and they'd fly out.

6. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julian,

The chap provided me with a full written receipt on headed paper (which includes his company name, address, tel numbers and Company reg number) which is more than adequate to send off to Panny for the warranty.

It will be a UK warranty rather than a Euro warranty as it is a UK screen (i.e. the model number was TH42PWD7B rather than TH42PWD7E or TH42PWD7U.

I researched which screen to go for for around two months and decided that the TH42PWD7B was the one for me and when this sellers auctions appeared on eBay I like you thought it was too good to be true but on the basis of cash on collection I thought I would see how it turned out, obviously very glad that I did now!! :thumbsup:

P.S. I travelled up from East Grinstead to Lincoln (about 200 miles each way) to collect the screen which took me all day but I didn't pay for the fuel (company car) and it meant there was no risk of being ripped off so was well worth the drive.

7. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the service menu to see how many hours are showing, thereby ensuring you have a brand new unit?

8. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I bet the 200 miles back took much longer than the 200 miles going up there (with that delicate plasma in the back) :) .

- Julian

9. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frank-g,

The unit was most definately new, I opened the box myself and it was quite easy to see that it had never been removed from its packaging since the factory.

That said I wasn't aware there was a service menu so if you can give me instructions on how to get to it I will check and post my findings.

==============

Julian,

Yes the return journey took for ever. Although the box was well supported in my car and I doubt there was any risk of damage I did seem to feel every single bump on the way back down the M11! :D

Phil

10. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on chaps - I'm disappointed that you haven't sussed. Phil Mo has most likely purchased a new screen at slightly under retail price if you think about the vat that is "missing" (£1060 +vat = £1245.50).

I suspect the vendor re-claimed the vat from his initial purchase and has not submitted the e-bay sale through his books. The Plasma will simply be lost in a bad paperwork trail unless they (the VAT people) look too hard. He might have made a small profit on the deal, plus the cash has saved him tax and NI if he pockets it. If he banks it he would be daft !

On the other hand is he does put it through the books then he has sold the Plasma for £902+vat.....ouch !

11. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You misspelled ' fell from the truck ' :D

12. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +511
    i say good luck to you fella.
    you got a bargain of a screen there.

Dal

13. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I found info on how to enter the Service menu on 7 series Panny's but does anyone know what the sub menu's mean once you are in it?

P.S. This thread was suppossed to be for people to confirm what price they paid for their TH42PWD7B, come on people lets see your price tags!!! :smashin: