How much data do you download?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
I'm with Virgin and i was going to put this in the virgin thread but then i thought maybe it related to everyone.

Simple questions who you with and in the course of a month how much data (approx) do you download?

I personally download about 60 -70 GB a month.

Gary

daveaka

I'am with ADSL24 (Entanet). This is my first month with them and Iam V happy with the service, 3 days left of my monthly allowance of 30GB peak and 330GB off peak, Ive only downloaded 82.5GB

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Interesting. We're with Zen and have a limit of 20GB which gets maxed out most months. It's an extra 10 quid a month to get 50GB, but I do like the idea of 330GB for 30 quid.

The service with Zen is very good though - we've been with them for about 18 months now. Would be reluctant to move away to a poor service for more alowance.

Petepie

I regularly hit over 200GB a month.....Im on the Sky Max plan so never had any problems. Its easy really, download a few DVDs, stream plenty of audio and video, and then working from home takes up a bit too....

Rygar

Novice Member
I do like the idea of 330GB for 30 quid
It's only £20 :)

The service with Zen is very good though - we've been with them for about 18 months now. Would be reluctant to move away to a poor service for more alowance.
Zen are a good ISP but then so are Entanet. Thing is both only tie you into a one month contract. So if you do fancy a little more bang for your buck you could always try Entanet. If for whatever reason you do not like them you can migrate back after just one month. Enta are very easy to migrate away from. Most of their resellers have an automated MAC system on their web portals.

booyaka

I'am with ADSL24 (Entanet). This is my first month with them and Iam V happy with the service, 3 days left of my monthly allowance of 30GB peak and 330GB off peak, Ive only downloaded 82.5GB

Been with ADSL24 about 7 days now - already used about 10gb offpeak and 3gb peak!

Generally about 40/50gig but now i have 330gb a month to play with!! My hard drives (120gb and 200gb) can't cope with the monthly allowance!!:devil:

sparky1

we are with fast4
we go over 200gig every month sometimes 300, but luckily they have NO limits what so ever.
we have 4pc's and 3 xbox's all hammering the connection.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
It's only £20 :)

Zen are a good ISP but then so are Entanet. Thing is both only tie you into a one month contract. So if you do fancy a little more bang for your buck you could always try Entanet. If for whatever reason you do not like them you can migrate back after just one month. Enta are very easy to migrate away from. Most of their resellers have an automated MAC system on their web portals.

Well, to show the power of the forums I've just cancelled with Zen, got a MAC and signed up with ADSL24 for next Thursday.

And to think I wasn't looking to change ISP, just came in here to see what goes on in the ISP forum...

Now I just need to find some content to download and fill my allowance...

hot-fuzz

What do you do for phonecalls ??

I am with Orange and i love the fact that its £5/month for getting about 5 meg speed and i pay nothing for calls anytime (plus a wireless router sweetens the deal).
Its just i need more useage, as they cut me off once for downloading 100GB a month, and so i need more.

All in all i think Orange is probably cheaper, but i need more GB's per month.

Batch

I'm with Virgin and probably download about 50gb + streaming a month. What is virgins limit supposed to be?

hot-fuzz

I'm with Virgin and probably download about 50gb + streaming a month. What is virgins limit supposed to be?

Keep it at 50 GB + and you'll find out, if you get disconnected .... its probably a bit lower.
Are they subject to an "unfair" usage policy, if so juist download at late night or in the daytime.

leefal

Standard Member
we are with fast4
we go over 200gig every month sometimes 300, but luckily they have NO limits what so ever.
we have 4pc's and 3 xbox's all hammering the connection.

I was looking at this crowd, they looked good but do you realise that there is an "exit fee" if you leave before 12 months?
I didn't like that little detail....they claim its just a one month contract when it clearly isn't.

"1.14 "Exit Fee" means that in the event that you wish to move providers or cancel the service provided to you, within the first 12 months you will be liable to pay a fee equivalent to the connection fee that you would have paid if the service had not been offered with free connection. These fees are currently £85 including VAT for new connections and £20 including VAT for migrating in customers."

If you're a migrating customer its only 20 quid, but its the whole principle.

Rygar

Novice Member
They also say they have no fair use policy, but this in their terms looks like one to me:
11.2 To ensure we offer all our customers the best possible service, we apply the following restrictions. We continuously monitor our networks to ensure that congestion is not occurring. If usage is such that it is significantly affecting service to other users we will instigate congestion control measures. Heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing, streaming video, binary downloads or other intensive uses are not acceptable. Where the Service has been deemed to have been used inappropriately or indeed illegally to the detriment of the overall Service, we reserve the right to take action against this account
I have also heard quite a few bad stories about them with regards to poor speeds, bad customer support, dns issues & pings @ 700ms plus. Having said that one or two people seem to be happy with them.

I believe they are ran by the same people that used to run V21, which sets the alarm bells off straight away.

At the end of the day they have no magic formula. They are simply reselling a BT Wholesale service. It has been proved time & time again that truly unlimited broadband is simply a pipe dream for a BT Wholesale IPStream Max product. Especially when sold so cheaply. What tends to happen with such ISPs after a while is either they go bust, they introduce traffic management or their customers suffer horrendous contention bring speeds down to dial up levels.

If anyone is lucky enough to get unlimited with good speeds/pings/peering etc from this lot then more power to you. Personally I would be very cautious of them.

Some good reading from plusnets website regarding unlimited. Not the biggest fan of plusnet, but they have this spot on:
http://www.plus.net/unlimited_broadband/

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom