1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much clearence do you have around your receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dom H, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 3802

Top = 10cm
    Front = Open
    Back = Open
    Sides = 1cm

and how would you describe to touch the surface after 2hrs or so of near reference level?

Mine feels hot to touch, it seems the amount of time the unit has been on affects the temp the most, volume doesn't have much effect atall, leaving it on with no sound playing heats it up nearly as much as watching a film.

I have placed a temp reading device on top after an hour or so of about -10dB and it was around 33c (10c above ambient).

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have lot's of clearance, the amp stands on top of the rack below a slanting ceiling, but there is more than enough room to all sides and the top. It's warm but not hot after hours of use, at least you won't burn yourself when touching it.
    Amp is Yamaha DSP-A1 and I do like my movies LOUD. :D

3. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone explain to me why manufacturer specify their receivers have clearence at the sides, the sides of my deneon aren't even warm, theres only a tiny vent on the left hand side.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Perhaps so the air can circulate around the unit and carry away the heat. It's never good to stuff devices like an amplifier into a cabinet with minimal or no clearance.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amp is placed on top of my open rack with nothing surrounding it, it only ever gets slightly warm to the touch and i also have a Yammy DSPA1, when not in use i put a soft cloth over the top to stop the dust. :)

You could always buy extra fans, but i would personally move it if you can to the top of an open rack with nothing above it.

6. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Mines (yam DSPAX1) in a Small understairs cuboard, so always enclosed, but its never hot to the touch. Mainly just warm. Its in a rack with about 3 inches clearance on each side.

7. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Denon 3802 runs much hotter than my Yamaha A1/A2. Some amps simply generate more heat . I had an old Kenwood 888 Reciever that was almost to hot to move after played very loud, and that was when it was placed on the coffee table.