How much can you guys squat?

love my 28kg kettlebell :)

that's adecent weight - I have a 24kg in the house, but normally use a 20kg in the class... :)

Very good week. Push-pull-off-push-pull & off on weekends. I think I did more volume this week and recovered very well. Only think I skipped was treadmill which I normally do with pulls.

On Tuesday,I was doing deads and a guy came to share the bar with me. He did some warmups after taking weights off (think it was 80kg). Once I finished with 140kg for my last set of 5 reps, guy lifted up and started rowing :eek:...140kg!!! He then put 20kg plate on each. Half the people on room thought he will be deadlifting the weight :rotfl:.

Push day

Started with flat BP. It's been very long time since I tried my previous PB (shoulder/trap injury) and was surprised to push 95kg for 5 reps. But most sets were on 80kg x 8 reps. Next was incline DB press with 32kg x 8 for 4 sets.

Finally time for 20 squat with 75kg. Single set warmup with 80kg for 7 reps and long rest. Timed close to 2 mins which means still rushing through first 10 reps. Heart/pulse rate after 1 min: 148.

OHP 45kg x 8 for 3 sets and parallel bar dip with 5kg 3x10.

Very nice workout with solid numbers!

upped my 1 rep max on front squat to 130kg before doing a metcon where part of a workout included 30 reps back squat at 100KG. (3 sets of 10, 30 sec rest between sets) between 30 handstand pushups and 30 dips, legs were a bit tight for a couple of days.

upped my 1 rep max on front squat to 130kg before doing a metcon where part of a workout included 30 reps back squat at 100KG. (3 sets of 10, 30 sec rest between sets) between 30 handstand pushups and 30 dips, legs were a bit tight for a couple of days.
That is immense!

Very impressive. What's your usual back squat weights on 5-8 reps? I tried doing front squats few times but it feels too awkward and uncomfortable with cross arm grip.

Very nice workout with solid numbers!

Thanks for kind words;) but been on these weights for 7-8 months now. Maybe being too over cautious these days after injury when at times felt like invincible :laugh: (plus being stupid with same intensity on supposed deficit) and forgot that I'm way over 40 :(. It's the reason I don't do 12 reps deads now and alternate with RDL on pull days.

Push day today and ready for another 20 reps torture:smashin:

Very impressive. What's your usual back squat weights on 5-8 reps? I tried doing front squats few times but it feels too awkward and uncomfortable with cross arm grip.

back squat 1 rep is 150kg, about to do a back squat program in a week or 2 so hope up that a bit, I have done 10 reps at 125kg, and 100 reps at 60kg as part of a workout, where everytime you racked the bar you had to do 5 pull ups, 10 push-ups and 15 air squats! x2! i hoped to do two sets of 50 but that plan went out the window, and did 40/20/20/20.

77.5kg@20 reps time: 2:18 heart rate: 134

Started slowing down @10, @16 is no return as don't fancy doing those last 15's again. This time with tiredness, there was also the feel of the weight on my back and just catching breath on last 2 was a struggle.

rest of the push day: BP@80kg 3x8, 70kg 2x12, OHP 50kg 3x6, 60kg 2x3, leg press machine 120kg 3x9, 127kg 1x9, = bar dip with 7.5kg 4x9. DB presses were too busy yesterday so skipped incline db press. Woke up this morning with some DOMS on triceps plus legs and as a very hungry man :clap:

back squat 1 rep is 150kg, about to do a back squat program in a week or 2 so hope up that a bit, I have done 10 reps at 125kg, and 100 reps at 60kg as part of a workout, where everytime you racked the bar you had to do 5 pull ups, 10 push-ups and 15 air squats! x2! i hoped to do two sets of 50 but that plan went out the window, and did 40/20/20/20.

:eek: I'm in awe of you sir!

Forgot to ask, how do you grip when doing front squats? I tried cross arm and clean grip yesterday, both were uncomfortable. I googled more and found strap method which I'll try on Friday.

Last edited:
i rest the bar across my shoulders/clavicle , touching the bar with just my fingertips with elbows high out front, gripped just outside shoulder width, if that makes sense?

yes thanks. I'll need to practice more cleans.

great stuff :)

well, I really strained my left calf on friday night - and it actually felt like a tear of some kind? as there was a tiny sharp pain when on the treadmill...still sore now and will be for a couple of weeks I think... :(

so, no running for a while - will go on the exercise bike instead...
no kettlebells either and on monday did my push session (and a slight variation on my normal) -
'
3x8 dumbbell presses @ 32kg

Then did 5x10 cable chest pulldowns (whatever you call them) supersetted with 10 pressups – and struggled at the end with the press-ups tho…

Then 3x8 of the 3 types of rotor cuff exercises – 3x8 of each one on the cable machine

Then the Olympic bar overhead press – 5x5 @ 40kg

Then thought I’d try some normal dips without the band – as I wouldn’t be doing burpees…wasn’t sure how many I’d even do – but managed 5x8..!!

then I did various cable tricep pulldowns – starting with the overhead pulls @ 33.75kg, then straight pulldowns on the narrow bar @ 33.75kg…then narrow gripped ones – then some bare cable pulldowns…

I then did 5x20 of the 10kg medicine ball throws with straight arms'

and last night was my pull session -
'Seated single arm cable rows @ 28.75kg ~12 sets x8 at different heights

5x5 Narrow grip lat pulldown @ 82kg

3x8 dumbbell rows @ 20kg whilst lying on the incline bench

3x10 seated dumbbell rows @ 14kg (16kg were being used)

then various dumbbell curls

Then onto the rowing machine and did 666 metres in 2:35 minutes…(first time in years since I've been on one - will be using it more)'

and will repeat again on thurs / fri... :)

Had an impromptu gym sessions at my brothers earlier as he has a decent all in one jobby. Not had any gym action at all for about 6 or 7 weeks.

Finished off with a few sets of deads (only up to 130kg) and managed to split open an old scar on my right leg and smudging blood over the bar and over my new shorts!!! Booo :facepalm:

Last edited:
80kg@20 reps :thumbsup: time:02:15m heart rate: 115

Maybe I'm getting used to these 20 reps or it could be a good rest, sleep & food but it was much easier than some previous sessions. Warmed up with front squats (60kg) which still feels uncomfortable. Other usual bits of OHP, incline DB press, flat BP and = bar dips with 12kg.

Pull day today.

Chin/Pull ups are one of my goal and these days I can do good 5 reps. This is a good progress for me as when first started I couldn't even do one. Problem is I'm now stuck on the same rep range for last 3/4 months. Anyway I've found a way to use strap on bar (bars too high on wall & super slippery) and dumbbell. Started doing weighted pull ups with 5kg x 5 reps. Hopefully there'll be improvements in coming months.

Note: ~20kg over BMI. Not easy for short fat man:rotfl:

80kg@20 reps :thumbsup: time:02:15m heart rate: 115

Maybe I'm getting used to these 20 reps or it could be a good rest, sleep & food but it was much easier than some previous sessions. Warmed up with front squats (60kg) which still feels uncomfortable. Other usual bits of OHP, incline DB press, flat BP and = bar dips with 12kg.

Pull day today.

Chin/Pull ups are one of my goal and these days I can do good 5 reps. This is a good progress for me as when first started I couldn't even do one. Problem is I'm now stuck on the same rep range for last 3/4 months. Anyway I've found a way to use strap on bar (bars too high on wall & super slippery) and dumbbell. Started doing weighted pull ups with 5kg x 5 reps. Hopefully there'll be improvements in coming months.

Note: ~20kg over BMI. Not easy for short fat man:rotfl:

great stuff - stick and it and you'll see improvements...

I was unable to do dips at all - and a few months ago I started doing them with a strong rubber band (as part of my push routine) and supersetted with 5 burpees (8x8 dips, and 8x5 burpees) and because I did my calf in I didn't do any burpees last week but tried to do some unaided dips - and managed 5x8 reps, then did the same 3 days later... :)

last night I did 8x8 - tho, on the last 3 sets I only managed 7 reps, then 6 on the last...but no complaints :)

Yesterday's PUSH:

upped my one rep max on my clean to 100kg last week, so chuffed to finally reach that goal, took a few attempts, i hit 95 which equalled my 1 rep max previously, but then failed 3 times at 100, so dropped back to 95, then i put 97.5 on the bar and got that, then another go at 100 and boom up it went.

it deadlift night tonight, and not done that for a while, i will be happy to equal my 180kg max, if i do i might go for a few kg more, but we'll see.

@beecee I love a bit of crossfit, came across it in 2008 immediately got hooked gave up smoking weed after 20yrs, stopped drinking the lot. Totally transformed me bought my own bumpers & kettlebell as well, store them in the local gym :)

is that 115bpm after doing 20 reps with 80kg, that don't sound right...what hrm are you using?

phone and app :). I know they're not accurate and will not take those readings seriously but at least I got few numbers to compare. I constantly get ~120 when doing 20-30 mins cardio 7km/hr. on treadmill. Not planning for any serious number analysis and it's just the 'playing with app' thing :rotfl:. Curious now why's 115 not right?

@beecee I love a bit of crossfit, came across it in 2008 immediately got hooked gave up smoking weed after 20yrs, stopped drinking the lot. Totally transformed me bought my own bumpers & kettlebell as well, store them in the local gym :)

i got into it almost 3 years ago, my daughter was turning 4 and i couldn't catch her! so i lost a couple of stone, and started training, discovered crossfit through my work, as there was a gym next door. and a friend of mine had been at me for years to join his gym(i didn't realise it was a crossfit gym) and finally joined his and never looked back, love it.

well i surprised myself last night, hit 185kg on the deadlift, but i know i could do a lot more as it went up pretty easy with no shakes, but time ran out for more lifts.

phone and app :). I know they're not accurate and will not take those readings seriously but at least I got few numbers to compare. I constantly get ~120 when doing 20-30 mins cardio 7km/hr. on treadmill. Not planning for any serious number analysis and it's just the 'playing with app' thing :rotfl:. Curious now why's 115 not right?

it just sounds bit low for a set of 20 rep squats, was expecting something in the 140bpm range

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom