How much can you guys squat?

Front Squats?
Squats with dumbbells and kettlebells?
I'm just guessing and suggesting, I'm not a pro, or even an amateur but try them out and see how they feel..?

Had my 2nd appointment with an Osteopath today, told him my back has been bad this week, mentioned my exercise routine involving squats and was advised it wasn't a good idea!
The weight compressing on my spine is bad for me at the moment

I don't want to stop doing my core stuff, I just need to substitute the barbell squats with something else, or use little to no weight maybe?

Do what the osteopath says, fix any issues and then come back stronger. Ask the osteopaths advice on exercise and if light front squats would help.

It's great. Also good that I can run quicker so she can not catch me!!!!!!!

enough of your bedroom habits haha

Mine has just started training for competition. She was looking at the bikini class but the weight she would need to get down too was plain ridiculous. So she is moving up to the fitness category instead. She is 5'8" and something like 70kg ish so not exactly big.
I am training for Ironman Wales this year so she is going to have a fair bit more muscle (especially up top) than me (I am going to be a 6'4" beanpole by September I suspect!!!!!!).

My missus will never be stronger than me. If it looks like it's going to happen, I'll cheat and give her a dead arm...

Still can't decide if this is to depth or not, have a look and let me know.

Still can't decide if this is to depth or not, have a look and let me know.

Looks just shy of parallel to me (hips to knees), but given the amount of weight on that bar it's still an impressive squat. How heavy was that?

Looks just shy of parallel to me (hips to knees), but given the amount of weight on that bar it's still an impressive squat. How heavy was that?

I'm inclined to agree, any ambiguity and it's high. Just have to do it again for reps now!

That was just plain scary!

Thanks for the positives I forwarded the vid to a pal who refs power lifting and it's not to depth, it might scrape through in a strongman comp but I never want any doubt. I borrowed some mega knee wraps for that attempt, (you can see by how fast I came up), the sort of weight I was squatting isn't really enough to drop them down low enough. I also didn't collapse at the hips like I normally do when squatting heavy, which has shown up a new mobility/flexibility/technique issue as well. So it was worth while getting some feedback.:)

Thanks for the positives I forwarded the vid to a pal who refs power lifting and it's not to depth, it might scrape through in a strongman comp but I never want any doubt. I borrowed some mega knee wraps for that attempt, (you can see by how fast I came up), the sort of weight I was squatting isn't really enough to drop them down low enough. I also didn't collapse at the hips like I normally do when squatting heavy, which has shown up a new mobility/flexibility/technique issue as well. So it was worth while getting some feedback.:)
I admire your attitude mate. I still struggle with my ego. Still expect to be the best I can be at everything, every time. I'm such a dope! Only been doing this since July so I've no idea where this ego has come from!

I admire your attitude mate. I still struggle with my ego. Still expect to be the best I can be at everything, every time. I'm such a dope! Only been doing this since July so I've no idea where this ego has come from!

Thanks buddy. :) it's very easy though- Some of the guys I train with are amongst the strongest guys in the country, they've been nothing but awesome in helping and supporting me. When there's guys 30kg lighter than me who're still warming up with my maxes, all I can do is keep trying to improve myself.:)

After my last squat video and finally accepting that I really wasn't doing it right, I decided to drop the weight (a huge blow to my pride :) )

I've gone down to 60kgs and I'm going to stay at this weight for a couple of weeks, until I'm satisfied that I'm getting at least parallel, if not ass2grass on every squat!

Here's another video, difficult to see due to the bars being in the way, but I'm almost touching the barbell on the cross beam.

After 10 days or so off, I've gone back on the squats and found it much easier to go low. Only explanation I can think is maybe 3 times a week is too often for me and I need more time for recovery and the muscles, tendons and ligaments to relax and stretch properly again.

After my last squat video and finally accepting that I really wasn't doing it right, I decided to drop the weight (a huge blow to my pride :) )

I've gone down to 60kgs and I'm going to stay at this weight for a couple of weeks, until I'm satisfied that I'm getting at least parallel, if not ass2grass on every squat!

Here's another video, difficult to see due to the bars being in the way, but I'm almost touching the barbell on the cross beam.

Obviously couldn't see much on the vid but.. And I'm not an expert but maybe you could keep your head up a little higher. I try 30-45 degrees for the whole time. Also is your movement slightly forward when you come up? I find sometimes I have a very slight forward movement when coming up as a foot or hip position wrong causes me to lose the complete vertical down and up movement.
I try to get my feet right, get the hip movement right and imagine my squatting movement to be completely vertical.

After 10 days or so off, I've gone back on the squats and found it much easier to go low. Only explanation I can think is maybe 3 times a week is too often for me and I need more time for recovery and the muscles, tendons and ligaments to relax and stretch properly again.

yeah, I found the 75 squats a week on the 5x5 a bit much after a while, but the main factor was my lower back.. tho, when i jumped on the 10x10 I was doing 100 legpresses haha (should have done squats but wanted my back to recover) - but i felt i was able to connect with my muscles more when using slightly lower weights rather than just moving them...

however, i haven't really exercises for nearly 3 weeks - and the last 2 weeks i've been laid up with a bad cold (still got a bit now) and i was at the gym before and it was hard going... managed just over 50 pullups tho in sets, but was hard going, very much so... will be back at kettlebells next week...

He ha pull ups are my nemesis... Wide grip, palms forward pull ups.... Nothing else challenges me like they do...

had a squat session last night, 3 sets of 3, followed by 3 sets on 1
by the end of the 3 sets i had 130kg on the bar 5kg higher than my previous 1rm.

and on the last single rep i have a new PB of 150kg.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom