How much can you guys squat?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been terrible at squatting but got 100kg for 5 reps yesterday. I weigh about 83. Obviously next proper target is 3 plates, which some of the big units in my gym can do.
How are you guys getting on? I suspect that moving from 2 plates to 3 is probably not easy, but it'll be nice to get there and I think it should help my deadlift too. Any units in here squatting 3 and deadlifting 4 plates, for reps?

I do 125kg @ 8 reps (3 sets) and I weigh 98kg. I don't do ass to floor like some. Just below parallel but never higher. Don't ask why I do 8 reps though!

A few months. not sure exactly how long. As with all my other exercises I up the reps on the first set by a couple then when I can do that comfortably for a few weeks I drop down to 2 below original reps but up the weight. I then repeat this across each set over the weeks until I've upped the weight in each set. I try not to up the weight too quickly. I've injured myself in the past doing this.

Yeah I have though of sticking at 100kg for a while, til I can do 20 reps, then going up. I can only imagine the pain of that though..

I can do 90kg for 5 sets of 5 reps, and I weigh 75kg. I think a realistic target is 100kg. I started off doing about 50kg 12 weeks ago so I'm pretty happy with my progress.

I started the Stronglifts 5x5 workout about 4 months ago and after a month or so doing isolation exercises due to not being able to squat because of pain, I've been doing it again for the last 2 weeks (with some isolation exercises thrown in I found on Icecreamfitness).Currently at 77.5kg for 5 sets of 5. I weigh 66kg. Not the best but not bad for a weakling who's never lifted weights before 4 months ago!

Can do 100Kg 5x5 at 72kg.

I'm hampered by squatting at home with no spotter\catchers though so its hard to really push it knowing I cant drop the bar without ruining the floor :)

I hardly squat at all these days. Last time I did I was doing 125kg for reps and at a mini charity comp we had a the gym earlier this year I did 135kg having not squated at all for about 10 months. Was quite happy with that.

you lot seem to do heavier squats than me...but then you do low numbers...!

I start low weight 50kg and do 5x8 to warm up (and going through full range of motion on this set so that my backside is close to my heels as possible)
...then work my weight upto 90kg in increments of 20kg...thus doing 5x8, 5x7, then 5x5

but then the gym doesn't have a big range of olympic plates - certainly not at the lower end of the scale (i.e. under 10kgs :( )

Reiteration, if your gym doesn't have the plates just get some off eBay and take them with you.

I always shoot for 5 reps minimum, never seen the point of 1RMs personally. I've got the other half into it now. She weighs 48kg and squats 51kg for 5. Ive got fractional plates so am increasing it 1kg at a time for her, rather than the mans version of 2.5kg. It's not bad as she's not been squatting long but I reckon she can do more. It has had a positive effect on her buttocks though as she likes to point out! Obviously I'm the one really reaping the benefits..

Squatting again tonight, first time over the 100kg barrier. Looking forward to it. 3 plates here I come!

Last edited:
I have been doing the 5x5 routine for a few months. I peaked at 97.5kg (I weigh 75kg). My target is to squat 120kg :smashin:

I have had to take off over a month from squatting as I began to get huge muscle pain just below the left hip. Still waiting for an appointment with the physio! You guys have any ideas what it maybe?

BTW, I squat "ass to grass" and have had my technique looked at by gym members and staff at the gym.

. It has had a positive effect on her buttocks though as she likes to point out! Obviously I'm the one really reaping the benefits..

Your bike stays upright when you rack it ?? :smashin:

the most i got up to was 105kg 5x5 on the strong lift, but haven't trained legs properly for a few weeks now.

last time i got up to 2x5 @ 90kg. i reckon i could still squat 100kg, but would be fairly tough.

deadlift i am slightly better at - broke my PB 2 weeks ago and managed 160kg.

i do 2 warm ups , 1 @ 70kg 1 x 100kg then 1 x 6 at 120kg, 1 x 6 @ 130 and 1 x 6 @140kg ( i felt my back give at 140 last week so will stick with 130kg for a while. I weigh 88kg i don't go all the way down when i do the heavy but I go below parallel and I hold the squat for 3 - 5 seconds ..sometimes i wonder if i'll come back up :)

Your bike stays upright when you rack it ?? :smashin:

That's right! Well, something is staying upright anyway..

Sherriff woody, you have managed to break 160kg eh? My best is 155kg for 3. I must've been feeling good that day. I would say I can reliably lift 150kg, but put 155 on the bar and for some reason it starts feeling very heavy. Last two times I tried it I couldn't budge it off the floor, which considering I'd got 3 reps with the same weight only a couple of weeks before was annoying. I think it's a mental thing. I am now working back up to it and would love to smash through it this time.

In fact I will smash through it, got to keep positive!

i do 2 warm ups , 1 @ 70kg 1 x 100kg then 1 x 6 at 120kg, 1 x 6 @ 130 and 1 x 6 @140kg ( i felt my back give at 140 last week so will stick with 130kg for a while. I weigh 88kg i don't go all the way down when i do the heavy but I go below parallel and I hold the squat for 3 - 5 seconds ..sometimes i wonder if i'll come back up :)

That's some good lifting.. 140 must be a nice weight to lift, certainly time for a steak afterwards that's for sure! When I get it I'm going to celebrate with a colossal meat eating session at the Brazilian barbecue place in town. I'm not making any reservations yet though, got some serious groundwork to put in before that weight flies up.

3-6 reps is enough on squats. The range of motion is so big, doing 8-12 or whatever is not necessary. Obviously it's fine to mix it up but you should see plenty of response in your legs with 5 rep sets.

3-6 reps is enough on squats. The range of motion is so big, doing 8-12 or whatever is not necessary. Obviously it's fine to mix it up but you should see plenty of response in your legs with 5 rep sets.

It's not that big if your a short arse like me..:D

5x5 @80kg tonight done. I usually do 1x5 warm up sets at 2 different weights, though tonight I did 3 warm up sets as it's really heavy for me! Squats is my favourite exercise.

That's some good lifting.. 140 must be a nice weight to lift, certainly time for a steak afterwards that's for sure! When I get it I'm going to celebrate with a colossal meat eating session at the Brazilian barbecue place in town. I'm not making any reservations yet though, got some serious groundwork to put in before that weight flies up.

I bet if we compared form you would be miles better , like I said I just can't get that low any more

i weigh about 138 and i just do the bar... i can bench press 155? but i cant squat

I take it your figures are in lbs?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom