1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much better is vga over rgb?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by woody183, May 20, 2002.

1. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony dvps7700 connected to a panny 100e via component.
    how much better is the pic on the panny when connected using vga? is it worth spending the money to convert the signal to vga or is it not really noticable.
    any advice is appreciated,i just dont want to waste my money on something that hasn't had much effect.....
    cheers

woody

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The vga input on the panny is for progressive (computer type) inputs. The component input is for interlaced video sources.

Converting the picture from interlaced component to "vga" will involve a line doubler (deinterlacer) like the iScan Pro (cost around £750 ?). This is a worthwhile way to get a progressive output from your dvd player and other video sources.

If the panny accepts a progressive component input (on it's component sockets) then another cheaper alternative would to buy a new dvd player which outputs a progressive component signal. This would be more cost effective if you only watch dvds on the projector.

Brian.

3. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woody
    My Sony DVP-S7700 used to be the source for my Sony VPL-W10HT, that was until I built a HCPC and used that as the source via RGBHV. If you can get the same results that I did using the RGB: D-sub HD 15-pin you won't want to use your dvd player again for your projector. I only use mine to view on my TV occasionally.

Dave

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No comparison between prog component & VGA in Wide480.

VGA is infinitely better than anything else :eek:

HTPC is, IMO, the best & cheapest solution.