How much better is the iPhone 4 compared to the 3GS?

Razor

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
How much better is the iPhone 4 compared to an updated 3GS with iOS4 installed?

I would expect that there would be a nice upgrade going from 2G and 3G to the iPhone 4. But is there still a nice jump going from a 3GS to an iPhone 4?

I would expect that there would be a nice upgrade going from 2G and 3G to the iPhone 4. But is there still a nice jump going from a 3GS to an iPhone 4?

Theres still a noticeable jump but its not WOW!

Unless you're a super gadget freak theres really no real need to upgrade from a 3G S....its still a great phone and asides from a few games likely in the brew its going to handle everything thrown at it anyway!

That said I'll still buy a i4 S....but I'm not right in the head :rolleyes:

I went from a 3G to a 4 and the difference is like night and day as I gained multitasking, proper video recording, background wallpapers to name a few however as the 3GS does all this with iOS4 anyway then I can't see that it's worth shelling out for in your position Razor.

It's only if you absolutely HAVE to have the better screen and HD video recording that I think it's worth the cash to upgrade from 3GS.

Although having said all that it is a gorgeous phone and if you really love your tech (which I think you do) then I'd say it's a must have!

Sorry if that's not much help.

I had a 3GS and have now got iPhone 4 for me theres a noticeable speed increase and the screen is just wow its almost like the icons are popping out of the screen at you lol.

The shape & feel is also better in my opinion it just oozes class, the gyroscope is also cool i downloaded my first App today that uses it here for all those who are interested EliminateGunrange 59p :thumbsup:

Better, yes, but also twice as expensive.

Have i got one - Yes, but also got one for the wife and she prefers her 'old' 3gs (and of course the difference in her pocket), so sold hers on here this morning.

Its Horses for courses. I'm a gadget freek so i wanted one, and got one, but for the average user they would not really notice the difference (IMO)

But i'm not complaining as i have to source 15 3gs's for work for the engineers, so the cheaper second hand prices for 3gs's are great :D

To be honest with all the goings on with all the failures of the iPhone.... I'm kind of wishing I stuck with my trusted 3GS

To be honest with all the goings on with all the failures of the iPhone.... I'm kind of wishing I stuck with my trusted 3GS

Yes but people say there are problems with every phone. Some people look for problems.
(Not saying the signal loss one is good though :()

The screen is amazing, the camera is miles better and surfing the net is alot more quicker for pages to load.

I also find the call quality better on my end and I got told it's far superior on the receiving end now too.

I have gone from 3G to Iphone 4 and my thoughts are WOW!! Super quick, the display is crispier than a packet of walkers, the new OS4 is so much better multitasking etc, HD camera recording wow, Camera is wow. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. Love it:D:D:D

Theres still a noticeable jump but its not WOW!

Unless you're a super gadget freak theres really no real need to upgrade from a 3G S....its still a great phone and asides from a few games likely in the brew its going to handle everything thrown at it anyway!

That said I'll still buy a i4 S....but I'm not right in the head :rolleyes:

I went from a 3G to a 4 and the difference is like night and day as I gained multitasking, proper video recording, background wallpapers to name a few however as the 3GS does all this with iOS4 anyway then I can't see that it's worth shelling out for in your position Razor.

It's only if you absolutely HAVE to have the better screen and HD video recording that I think it's worth the cash to upgrade from 3GS.

Although having said all that it is a gorgeous phone and if you really love your tech (which I think you do) then I'd say it's a must have!

Sorry if that's not much help.

Cheers for posting. Thats pretty much what I thought. My father has a 32gb i4 which I am looking forward to messing about with. I am in two minds if I should buy out 11 months of contract to get one or just wait for my contract to finish which by that time we should hopefully have the successor to the i4. :)

Cheers for posting. Thats pretty much what I thought. My father has a 32gb i4 which I am looking forward to messing about with. I am in two minds if I should buy out 11 months of contract to get one or just wait for my contract to finish which by that time we should hopefully have the successor to the i4. :)

Fairly sure its not worth the cost of buying out 11 months of contract...

Ok here's my thoughts having had a 3G myself (until it died few weeks ago), playing with my girlfriends 3GS on a regular basis and having messed around with my brothers iPhone 4.

Obviusly the jump from to 3G to 4 is massive, i was beginning to get very frustrated with my 3G towards the end of it's life. It was slow, unresponsive and just generally not a pleasure to use (made even worse when I got my iPad ) If you are upgrading from a 3G then I would go for it if you can afford the 4. This is where my but comes in though. Persoanlly I don't think the 4 is that big a deal when compared to the 3GS with the new os on it. Sure the camera on the 4 is a bit better, shooting HD video is nice, the new design is lovely and obviously the screen is awesome. But that's about it. I wasn't blown away when I had a play on the iPhone 4 compared the the 3GS, it didn't seem that much faster anyway. The only thing was the screen. It is gorgeous, but I still think the 3GS screen is very good, it takes good pics and you can still do video. Guess it depends how much the screen means to you.

Think I'm gonna plump for a cheaper contract and a 3GS for free to get my iPhone fix back.

Ok here's my thoughts having had a 3G myself (until it died few weeks ago), playing with my girlfriends 3GS on a regular basis and having messed around with my brothers iPhone 4.

Obviusly the jump from to 3G to 4 is massive, i was beginning to get very frustrated with my 3G towards the end of it's life. It was slow, unresponsive and just generally not a pleasure to use (made even worse when I got my iPad ) If you are upgrading from a 3G then I would go for it if you can afford the 4. This is where my but comes in though. Persoanlly I don't think the 4 is that big a deal when compared to the 3GS with the new os on it. Sure the camera on the 4 is a bit better, shooting HD video is nice, the new design is lovely and obviously the screen is awesome. But that's about it. I wasn't blown away when I had a play on the iPhone 4 compared the the 3GS, it didn't seem that much faster anyway. The only thing was the screen. It is gorgeous, but I still think the 3GS screen is very good, it takes good pics and you can still do video. Guess it depends how much the screen means to you.

Think I'm gonna plump for a cheaper contract and a 3GS for free to get my iPhone fix back.

The screen IS very gorgeous though!

TBH I wasn't exactly bowled over by it even compared to my 3G. Yes its faster, and yes it has a nicer screen, but to be honest, I cant justify it because its clearly just the same as what I have now to use, and the novelty would wear off very quickly. Thats why I am now going to android because I fancy a change.

No Jaggies on the 4, surely that's more than enough reason for your good self :smashin:.

Some nice honest replies here. I think the ip4 would of been more of a jump if Apple didn't roll out IOS4 to the 3GS.

LOL @ Cas. :D

I went from the 3G to 4 and the difference... unbelievable. The screen is only something you can appreciate once you've seen it! Its so much faster loading apps, websites etc etc, the camera is MUCH better and the HD video is a nice addition.

So far the only people Ive spoken to who don't like the iPhone 4 are those who don't own one.

TBH I wasn't exactly bowled over by it even compared to my 3G. Yes its faster, and yes it has a nicer screen, but to be honest, I cant justify it because its clearly just the same as what I have now to use, and the novelty would wear off very quickly. Thats why I am now going to android because I fancy a change.

I did that, sold my 3g and got a Desire, within a week i had sold the Desire and am now back with an Iphone lol.

Reason(s) for finding the Desire disappointing?

So far the only people Ive spoken to who don't like the iPhone 4 are those who don't own one.

Fair comment really although the only people likely to say its a million times better are the ones who have just shelled out on a new iphone4 and are (understandably) making themselves feel better about their purchase :)

Impartial views are nice to see such as drew_bwfc's

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom