• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How much better does iPhone 5 need to be?

Veni Vidi Vici

Prominent Member
No doubt Apple will release a new iPhone in June 2011, as June seems to be when every new version is released. As other smart phones and the Android market are improving at a rate of knots (and bettering the iphone some might argue) how much of a jump in spec do you expect the iPhone 5 to be?

Many expected the IP4 to be 64gb or more yet it stayed the same as the 3GS (even the iTouch has a 64gb version?). Are you expecting big things or a we going to get another small jump up in spec from the IP4 and just a few small improvements like the Antenna issue, better MP camera and alike?

Last edited:

TrevSkyline

Standard Member
I expect Apple has big changes - not to the software though, that is very good and user friendly.

Like you said though, Android phones are getting better so they need to keep up and overtake.

Veni Vidi Vici

Prominent Member
I expect Apple has big changes - not to the software though, that is very good and user friendly.

Like you said though, Android phones are getting better so they need to keep up and overtake.

Do you think they can compete with Android and the others? I think the big stumbling block with Apple is they like to lock you into their product and block the ability to bluetooth anything between devices. The problem they are going to face is more and more companies are releasing smart phones so quickly that the iphones are going to be overtaken pretty quickly.

UEF

Prominent Member
Yep, I would say that for the first time there are credible "other" phones on the market. Phones that use open standards and allow things like Flash.

It was cool for Apple to be very "apple says no" when they had the best product on the market... but now... who knows. Maybe we're all on our last Apple devices? I'm sure we all thought we'd stay with Nokia forever once...

The jury's out on Windows-based devices, but they might be worth watching out for too.

Prasius

Established Member
I'll be replacing my 3Gs with whatever next years iPhone is. While I can imagine replacing my 3Gs with a non-apple phone, that's got everything to do with owning an iPad and nothing to do with how good android phones may or may not be. The quality of apple devices blow away anything else I've come into contact with - and while some people may want 'features', i'll take the build quality and customer service (..and they can have their Citroen and i'll have something nicer thanks! ;))

No idea what they may do to make it 'better' though. I have a 32Gb 3Gs and have never had storage issues on it, to the point that my next iPhone will probably only be the 16Gb model. An upgraded processor maybe? Seeing as the iPhone is the obvious first choice to get the successor to the A4 chip.

Last edited:

RobM

Distinguished Member
Competition is good. And there will always be a place for open (Android) and closed (iOS and to a certain extent WP7) systems as both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Apple always have a trick up their sleeves though to keep them right up there with the rest of the market, if not ahead in some areas. For instance, no mobile can match the quality of the iP4's 'Retina' display. And despite it being anything but a new idea, how many smartphones have native HDR capability? Apple also have a habit of doing what others are already doing, but making it slightly better/nicer/easier.

So I'm sure the iP5 will have unique features that make it a worthwhile upgrade for some. I'm also sure others wont give a damn about it. The beauty of the smartphone market now is there is choice and genuine competition.

This time next year we should have credible, top quality devices running iOS, WP7, Android and WebOS. Sitting next to them you'll have Nokia Symbian feature phones (N8 etc) and Blackberry, keeping business and messaging nuts happy. I don't remember a time before where we had so many credible choices.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
It needs to be loads better.

Better call quality, better battery life, 128Gb, FM Radio, FLAC codec, better bluetooth, micro USB, eWallet, Dual SIM, micro SD card, AND no need to jailbreak.

Nice to have - Freeview, Oyster chip, QR Code handling, keyboard slider model

This is all working in Apple labs, but Jobs mindset isn't about the best phone he can make, it's the lamest phone the market will accept.

Oh and needs to be given the nod by GCHQ for use in govt. for IL3 content.

Last edited:

Somnambulist

Prominent Member
I'd like to see improvements in the actual phone part, the hardware will get the usual incremental upgrade and one or two new features (like the gyro in the iP4), which will probably surprise us while also making us go "why didn't I think of that?!".

Wouldn't mind a bit of a change to iOS's visual style either, it's been pretty much the same since the start. Also, obvious one, text tones that aren't rubbish! Or at least let us use our own.

Slightly bigger screen too. They'd get more screen out of it if they stuck the home button on the back, perhaps as part of a mini trackpad type thing, I dunno.

Apple will never do FLAC, already got ALAC, why would they bother adding more formats just to please the extremely niche portable audiophile market? (That's the only reason I can think of people wanting to put FLAC on there). They'll have to keep buying 5.5G iPods and flashing it with Rockbox, until the Rockbox for Android thing gets going properly and someone makes a decent PMP out of it.

jabintendo

Prominent Member
don't they have to put a micro usb connector into the next one?
I think they need to increase storage and call quality.
But the i really want is wireless syncing which will hopefully come IOS 5.0

Does anyone think they will ever increase the screen size to like 3.7 inches?
Or can't they do that due to app resolutions?

Last edited:

akki007

Established Member
don't they have to put a micro usb connector into the next one?
I think they need to increase storage and call quality.
But the i really want is wireless syncing which will hopefully come IOS 5.0

Does anyone think they will ever increase the screen size to like 3.7 inches?
Or can't they do that due to app resolutions?

You will NEVER see a micro USB, expandable memory, dual sim, blah blah on an iPhone. You just won't. My predictions are a slightly larger screen and overall improved hardware spec including 64gb.

RobM

Distinguished Member
You will NEVER see a micro USB....... blah blah on an iPhone. You just won't.

didn't they sign some thing with other mobile manufacturer to make micro usb a standard.

here it is:
Apple to Adopt Micro-USB Connectors for iPhone Charging in Europe - Mac Rumors

You might want to retract that never statement now ;)

Perfect :)

Don't be so sure about statements like 'NEVER', Apple didn't have to sign up to the standard charging agreement.

RobM

Distinguished Member
The agreement just states that all who have signed up to it will support a standard charger, so Apple have said they will keep the current dock connector and provide an adapter that allows the use of the standard MicroUSB connection.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
i imagine ios 5.0 will be cloud. So your bound to get wireless syncing with that! :)

God I hope not. Cloud services are all well and good, but not for primary functions.

Cloud computing is [arguably] great for PC's with a reliable, constant and fast Internet connection, but not for phones. Even in cities I often lose my 3G connection in buildings. Maybe one day when the entire country is bathed in 4G/Wimax/LTE/whatever and it's as ubiquitous as a standard GSM signal is, but we are a long way off from that.

The networks would not like it either, they can't cope as it is. At least that's what they claim.

I have a list of wants, but Apple are doing just fine. Personally I just think Apple might need to get more aggressive on price, without compromising on quality. Most of my friends with Android say they wanted an iPhone but could not afford one.

Last edited:

jabintendo

Prominent Member
i doubt i would use a 'cloud' method. I just want wireless synching between itunes on laptop and the phone. Local syncing

RobM

Distinguished Member
I've been hoping for some time now that Apple will bundle a years subscription to Mobile Me in with new iPhone and iPad purchases. That would satisfy the Cloud argument to a certain extent.

iTunes Cloud-based subscriptions and streaming have been rumoured for a very long time, so it's also not impossible that this element will get fluffier. The iTunes catalogue available via subscription in full, with customised playlists stored online against your iTunes/MMe account that can be played and cached for offline use on your iDevice would be fantastic.

Apple actually have the potential to make Cloud computing a huge part of the iOS experience without making too many significant changes - just the iTunes streaming really. They would then be able to pull their usual stunt of 'inventing' something that already exists ;)

akki007

Established Member
The agreement just states that all who have signed up to it will support a standard charger, so Apple have said they will keep the current dock connector and provide an adapter that allows the use of the standard MicroUSB connection.

Thanking you! :thumbsup:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Regarding "the cloud", 4G is not coming to the UK until 2013 earliest although that might be when we see the iPhone 5. I do still believe we will only see a 4.5 release next summer or the year after. Otherwise it might be a betrayal too much with the compromises people have lived with (e.g. the antenna thing)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom