how much before you call the insurer?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by richard plumb, Jan 29, 2009.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    bumped my car in the works car park. Wasn't paying attention, top floor has a lower ledge, stupid parking sensors... anyway, have a nice scuff on the rear bumper, dislodged and bent the odd rear curvy bit thats below the bumper (2007 BMW 3-series msport). Just cosmetic but looks expensive cosmetic.

Just wondering how expensive a repair has to be before you consider calling the insurer. Would a car park prang even count? I have full no claims (not protected) and I think a £400 excess.

Having never had an accident that is my own fault, I have no idea how much my policy is likely to go up by, and therefore how long it'll take to settle down again. If I can work that out, I suppose I can work out the actual cost of a claim and therefore the threshold where its worth claming

eg if my policy goes up by £200 per year and takes 3 years to get back to normal, thats £600, plus £400 excess is £1000 so its not worth claiming for anything less than that.

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Best thing is get a quote for the repairs first, if you claim its a claim on your insurance which will be with you for 3 years plus they'll no doult take atleast 2 years NCD of you. Full NCD can only be 5 years with some insurance.

3. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    What if you wait until renewal, then get protected NCD?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    the bodyshop says i'll need a new rear bumper, diffuser and undertray. they'll send a full estimate out later but the bumper alone will be about £1200 fitted :eek: so maybe £1500 all in.

Need to check my excess but I'm almost thinking to claim it anyway, even if the costs are around the same at least it'll spread it out a bit.

5. Snatch

Snatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Even if its protected, you'll still have to pay higher premiums for the next three years. It just means you won't lose your NCD.
    The other factor is where you get it repaired. If its a minor knock that most garages could deal with, then that would be the route. If however, you decide to goto BMW, you'll be charged the earth!

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    its on a BMW select finance, so I'll have to stick with approved BMW bodyshops.

Any idea how much I'll lose on my premium and for how long?

7. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Ring a breakers yard , you'd prob get the lot For £500 and if you did not tell the company how will they know, if you stick with same yr etc the dates will be close on the panels + they will be gen and you should be ok ,give chip away a ring ,the Bmw garage prob needs the work,to low and would not get it done high hoping go with insurance.

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    That doesn't sound like a scratch :eek:

TBH a lot of bodyshops are complete rip-off merchants (in my opinion).

I took my Alfa to a local insurance approved shop who wanted £900 to replace the bumper - even though it was only scratched. Complete merchants. Another place wanted £450 and they fixed up another 3 areas of minor scratches before t went back to the leasing company.

I would seriously question a full replacement bumper for what is basically cosmetic damage - assuming it is just cosmetic damage.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    pic attached. hit at an angle so its dented the diffuser and the scratch is pretty deep so will need replacing

Attached Files:

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Doesn't exactly look like £1500 worth of damage does it. I can see why you need a new diffuser, as it's bent. Though the bumper looks easily repairable to me (but then I'm no expert).

I'd definitely shop around as you've a fair chunk of excess and lost premiums to absorb before you need to go to the insurance company.

You'll lose at least 2 years NCB if you claim. Plus they probably load the new premium up as well.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'll pay cash and it'd be £1000 done by the local BMW dealership - maybe cheaper if I shop around a BMW approved bodyshop.

Bumper is a deep scuff but its very rough - dont' know if thats repairable to as-new without replacing.

12. YodaBlair

YodaBlair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Damn that's a lot of money. If your NCB was protected then it would be a no-brainer. If you do shop around though be careful about getting the paintwork matched to the exact colour and blended properly.
    The work for a tiny dent in my Civic's door (paint as well) total cost was around £500 from Honda. This involved blending the paintwork on the door and rear quarter. I did an insurance job for that.

13. andrew24

andrew24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    i had somone scrap down my back bumper with a lawnmover went right through the paint down too the plastic last november went to chips away they filled it and sprayed my bumper for £145 when i got back you would never of known it had been repaired i would give them a go but looks as though you will need a new diffuser they would prob fit new one as well will be cheaper than body shop

14. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,211
    No way that warrants a new bumper! Definitely a diffuser, but that isn't painted anyway by the look of it. I'd be tempted to replace the diffuser and live with the scrape until closer to the time you have to change the car, it's an easy repair for any bodyshop. Out of interest what does the BMW Select Finance deal have to do with where you take the car for a repair? Are you buying the car or leasing it? Just wondered.

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Its a lease. So it needs to be in very good condition when it goes back, or BMW will try and charge me for repairs at their rates.

Good news is my local bodyshop (which is BMW approved) reckons the bumper can probably be repaired, but the diffuser will need replacing. Should be a fair bit cheaper.

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've had a number of leased cars and they always needed some remedial work to get rid of scratches and scrapes, becasue as you have rightly said BMW will charge for anything above normal 'wear and tear'. But none has ever required mending by an authorised 'manufacturer approved' bodyshop.

If you can live with the damage it might be worth waiting till the end of the lease to get it don... you just never know when it might need some more work. I've been driving my Golf for the past 18 months with a huge scar on my front bumper. 6 months after it happened a bloody great deer jumped out of the hedgerow and headbutted my car, right next to the scratch on the bumper. At least I'll only be paying for one set of repairs when it goes into the 'shop' next week.

I guess it depends how pristine you like your car looking. I hate the sight of the damage on mine but am too tight and too pragmatic to ever consider getting it fixed until absolutely necessary.

And when it does go back to BMW don't let the beggars stitch you up with spurious claims for dings and dents that don't exist. My business partner and I have had 2 run-ins with finance companies trying to bill us for non-existent and/or dodgy claims on vehicle damage.

I'm sure they try it on with every vehicle in the hope that many businesses simply just pay up without contesting. Gits.

17. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    have bmw already looked at it? just remember that when you contact the dealer they always take your reg before quoting anything then add whatever you are ringing about to their list. It's their way of keeping tabs, and if you turn up in a year with a pristine car they are going to ask where the damage is that was reported before.
    I'd imagine ALL garages do it, i know for certain Ford and Mercedes do (another story :devil: )

18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I took it to the BMW dealer nearest my work (not the one where I bought my car, and not the same dealer network). They didn't have a record of my car as I've never visited them. So I'd expect the dealership where I bought it have no idea.

I'll get it done at the bodyshop. The diffuser needs replacing anyway, and I don't like the idea of driving around for two years with that scratch, paying BMW money, then having to make it look nice just to hand it back. I'd rather enjoy that repair myself.

19. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I know what you mean. Nothing sadder than seeing some damn great scratch down the side of the car.

My problem is.... I know that as soon s I get a repair done the Mrs will decide it's time to get some new 'war wound' in exactly the same spot as the old one. :rolleyes:

I swear the car adopts a sort of magnetic attraction to inanimate objects when she's driving ;).

20. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    ok....didn't expect that.

Just had the estimate from the bodyshop. £835. Thats for repairing the bumper and only £200 less than a BMW main dealer bodyshop replacing everything.

£140 for parts, but £187 for paint and materials (although that is roughly what BMW quoted)? Maybe they are quoting me for a full bumper respray

nearly £400 labour!? the BMW place only quoted £140 for labour, including paint.

Now I'm peed off. Figured it'd be more like £500.

21. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    With a lease car I'd be tempted to just get the paintwork of the scratch filled in now (rather than having the whole bumper replaced or repaired and resprayed) and live with the damage until just before the end of lease. Then get estimates for the repair of this, and all the other stuff that will also need doing by then, nearer the time.

My mate got stung on insurance for damage to someones car he hit and he swears blind a lot of the dents and scratches were there before he hit them. Guess he should have been looking at where the car was on the road and not at its condition!!

You never know, you could benefit from that kind of thing yourself over the course of the lease......not that I am encouraging that kind of behaviour!

Cheers

Jon

22. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Somebody is really coining it somewhere.

My Golf is in for bodywork next week.

To fix a fairly horrendous looking graze across the front bumper, a dent on the front wing and a smaller scratch on the rear bumper...

The colossal total of...

wait for it

£250 + VAT

So I'm well happy.

Richard... it'd be cheaper for you to come up here, drop your car off, hire a car for the week and you'd still be in pocket ;-)