1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much battering can B&Ws take?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vodder, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a complete whitey last night, a mate was round and was swapping some cables out of the back of the PC thats connected to the TV. I'm sat there thinking "he's a bit close to the front right speaker, he does realise? Surely he isn't going to knock if off!"

30 seconds to my horror, up he gets and walks backwards straight into it knocking it clean off the stand!!!! :eek:

After the initial "ARGHHHHHH!" and making sure he didn't pick up by the front - he so nearly put the tweeter through! - I inspected the damage...

One of the stalks of the big yucka plants was now in pieces!
    A very small indentation on casing of my sub - in fact you don't even see it unless you rub your hand down the side.
    A rip in my speaker grill!!! :mad:

Luckily though the speaker itslef seems to be OK. I played some normal stereo sound and some test sounds and they seem to be OK.

Is there anything I should look out for to see if he's damaged anything?

He says he will replace it if it is broke (darn right he will!!). A friend of mine says B&Ws are rock solid, he dropped his series 1 down the stairs and that's OK. In the meantime the culprit is barred from that area of my living room and he is also going to get a new speaker grill from B&W, £27 delivered!! :suicide:

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The only way to check it is to run a frequency sweep through your CD player and listen for buzzes or cracks etc. I had a pair of 'fallen down' speakers which showed no problems, but my wife could hear something not sounding quite right. The sweep showed a problem with the upper midrange caused by misalignment of the pole piece which was caused by the fall.

3. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I do a frequency sweep? Is that build into the hardware or is it on a CD I can buy? I have a copy of AVIA - Guide to home theatre, would that have such a thing on it maybe?

Thanks!

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    DVE has a sweep so its a fair bet that Avia has one. HiFi News used to do a test CD.

5. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to check the AVIA disc later then. Do you think the sub could have been damaged too by being hit upon the top?

6. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ran the frequency sweep test that is on the DVE disc.

From what I can tell the front right sounds the same as the fornt left with no crackling or anything out the ordinary. So hopefully that means my speaker survived! :clap:

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    If you have no strange buzzes then everything should be fine. Its unlikely that the sub would have been damaged by the fall.