How much are your gas and electric bills?

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my new gas and electric bills through and they have raised my DD payments to £79 per month EACH (gulp!!!)

I know the prices have gone up but we don't have kids and are very careful about leaving lights on etc...

Is that the going rate for an average sized house these days because £158 a month seems way too much. They were not estimated bills and we are not in debit with them either?

thanks

dont worry eon altered mine to just over £100 monthly in Dec for both and what made it worse was they didnt write to me to tell me, it was only the fact i checked my online banking and noticed otherwise it would have been an OD charge.

I have a seperate account for bills. Very annoyed at the time and riding it out as soon as they drop im moving.

We pay well over £200 per month Gas/Elec, if that's any consolation. :)

dont worry eon altered mine to just over £100 monthly in Dec for both and what made it worse was they didnt write to me to tell me, it was only the fact i checked my online banking and noticed otherwise it would have been an OD charge.

I have a seperate account for bills. Very annoyed at the time and riding it out as soon as they drop im moving.

£100 for each....thats ridiculous !!

Is that the actual price or were they estimated bills or are you clearing a debit balance as well?

I live in a mid terraced so its quite warm anyway and my gas bill is £68 a month electric is a little more expensive

I had my new gas and electric bills through and they have raised my DD payments to £79 per month EACH (gulp!!!)

I know the prices have gone up but we don't have kids and are very careful about leaving lights on etc...

Is that the going rate for an average sized house these days because £158 a month seems way too much. They were not estimated bills and we are not in debit with them either?

thanks

Just paid a quarterly gas + electricity (not estimated) and it was £503 with EON for a 3 bed semi, so thats around £167 per month for the last quarter 2 adults and 3 teens

Last edited:
there making a :censored: fortune and its about time it was stopped blatant profitering

Are you a family though? There's only two of us.

6, big old house with not the best insulation, doors constantly left open and a dryer that's on every night. Of course all my AV kit and other essential gadgets consume virtually nothing. :devil:

It's still :censored: extortionate though and how the BG chief exec can come on and boast of a 10% drop when it must have gone up over 100% on the past few years is basically taking the :censored:. :mad:

We got a letter a couple of days ago from NPower, they have been estimating our electricity bills for 2 years and it turns out we owe them £600. Crazy thing is I've left numerous meter reading cards and readings via telephone :confused:. It turns out the private company who take utility readings aren't obliged to pass them on to the utility company :suicide:..Anyway our Direct debit has gone up to £120, and we have 6 months to pay off the balance

Live in large 4 bedroom house. Work from home, and wife at home too. So things on all day.
Daughter at home too. Son occasionally as he is at uni.
So usual to have 2 or 3 computers on, 2 or 3 tvs.

Pay £155pm dd for G+E. Currently running a little bit in credit on that.

Part timers ;)

Gas bill for my office building (4000 sq ft) is £460 a month :eek:

At home it's 'only' for £160 for gas and elec for a biggish detached house. Hopefully the gas will be a little cheaper this next year as we've switched off the AGA for all but Jan and Feb as it was costing £20 a week the rest of the year.

My 3 bed house with the missus home all day with the Plasma and amps running only costs £42 for gas and £53 for electric :smashin:

That is also with 2 kids who have a habit of leaving lights on all day and a tumble drier that seems to be constantly ON for every wash from Nov - April :suicide:

We got a letter a couple of days ago from NPower, they have been estimating our electricity bills for 2 years and it turns out we owe them £600. Crazy thing is I've left numerous meter reading cards and readings via telephone :confused:. It turns out the private company who take utility readings aren't obliged to pass them on to the utility company :suicide:..Anyway our Direct debit has gone up to £120, and we have 6 months to pay off the balance

:confused:
can they do that tell them to :censored: off is there no regulatory body you could go to i wouldnt be paying them for 2 years:confused: worth when its there fault dick :censored: turpins these lot

£86 direct debit for both gas and electricity. Yep I'm a happy bunny :)
They'll even reduce it to £50 a month on DD if I ask them, but I don't mind being in credit.

That reminds me

Less than £300 for quarter just gone for 3 students, and that's with electric heaters on 24/7 since November (albeit the timer only switches the system on at night. Old fashioned, no central heating). Happy and expect it to be much cheaper in the spring + summer. And I was worried the 360, TV and laptops are on virtually 24/7...

Scottish Power G+E = £52 monthly DD, am very slightly in credit (quarterly readings submitted online)
- three bed mid terrace .. just me

Me too i am with Scottish Power too and pay £45 a month DD for both and submit quarterly readings online.. and am in credit.. and i live in a mid terrace house too a 5 years old one

I'm with EDF and they recently sent me a letter saying they were putting my monthly payment up to £69 (I think) from £37, so I called them up and they recalculated and decided £53 would be OK. At this point I was in credit by over £100.

The next quarterly bill showed I'd actually used less gas than the same quarter last year meaning I'd gone even further in credit. So I called them again as there was obviously something wrong and it turns out that the calculation they do to set the level of your payments doesn't take into account any credit balance and is just based on a predicition of your usage, and they use the current gas price, so if the prices are going down their calculation will be even further out.

In the end I told them how I will be paying £20 each month and this was readily accepted. I sugggest anyone else who finds themselves in the same situation also takes this approach.

I get a bill for the gas quarterly and it is usually 60-80 pound in winter and about 30-40 summertime (that's for the quarter!!!)
Use a card meter for eleccy which has gone from £5 per week for about 10 years upto last year early on and is now taking around 10-15 a week
British Gas and Scottish power for lec.. I know there are other suppliers but BG and SP (formerley Manweb) have been around for years and get the job done no hassle if there's a problem
I get no end of sexy babes and spotty oiks knocking to ask for business :D

Last edited:
Received my Bills yesturday. My Supplier is Npower Gas £250 Electrics £250 ( per 1/4). When i went to pay it i felt sorry for my wallet. :mad:

We pay £133 a month combined direct debit but they've grossly overestimated our last two bills. i took meter readings this time and sent them off and our bill was £1.02 CREDIT! This put our account £402.50 in credit which they're refunding into our bank account! We've been so broke this has made my day :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom