1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much and where to replace Ford focus radio cassette

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Jules, May 22, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've just scrapped my 12 year old Vauxhall Cavalier (which had a nice Sony MD player in it) and bought a 2 year old Ford Focus.
    Its a nice specimen but only has a radio cassette and I'd lilke to replace it with a CD or MD player.

But with these new style Ford radios, you can't just go out and buy a new one... it wouldn't fit. So without paying Ford main dealer prices, where can you get a new decent head unit to fit.
    Can you get some kind of adapter to make a 'normal' head unit fit properly?

2. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it one of these "double-size" head units? The same width as a normal head unit but almost twice as tall?

That is what was fitted in my 98 fiesta and it is simple enough to pull out the ford unit and fit a fascia adaptor, then you can have the head-unit of your choice.

The adaptors can be found in most shops but this place is where i ordered mine from with no complaints.

- Kev

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Excellent. Thanks Kev.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    just had a thought though..... if a normal unit is fitted with one of these adapters, doesn't it rattle or move about?
    The adapter just looks like a cosmetic aid and I can't see it providing a solid base on which the top or bottom of the unit can be securely fixed.

5. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to think back... and i'm pretty sure that you get a "cage" of some sort with your head unit (I'm pretty sure mine did but it was nearly 2 years ago sorry), you slide this cage into the top or bottom of the hole where your doublesize headunit was and have to bend back these little tags inside the cage to secure it in place, then the adaptor covers the hole left underneath (or above) where you've fitted it.

I'm pretty sure thats how its done, its the way I went about it and its fixed well enough in place in my fiesta (no rattles or movement).

Hope that helps. You thought about what kind of head unit you're going to go for?

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    The cage would make sense if it too was 'double height' with its own seperate enclosure for the regular sized unit.
    But in order to cater for all cars, the manufacter would have to supply 2 cages. 1 regular and 1 'Ford' with each unit and I can't see that happening.

I guess I'll have to ask the nearest auto electrical fitters (I'd rather fit it myself though).

As for the the type of head unit I'm after, well, nothing too fancy.
    I don't want amps and subwoofers etc, just a nice CD or MD player.
    Probably a Sony unless someone has a better idea.

7. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cage should have bendable tags down all four sides, so if you were fitting it at the top of the hole left by the double-size head unit you bend round all the tags on the top and down the sides. This should be enough to keep the whole thing in place.

You dont need to be paying someone to do a job like installing a new head-unit, there will probably be fitting instructions in the manual of any new head unit aswell. Have a bash yourself.

As for suggestions other than Sony, have a look around here and here, I found these two places to be good on prices and have ordered from both of them in the past. I went for an Alpine CD/Mp3 unit last time which i have been very happy with but I dont really have any experience directly comparing the different manufacturers.

8. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You could always buy a ford cd player from ebay or the like?

Keeps standard look, no wiring issues and steering whell controls will still work with no need for an adaptor.

Just a thought ?

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

You'll have to check but I think that the Focus has space for a double-din unit. These are like standard head units, but are double the size.

Not sure about fitting as I haven't had one, but I assume they use the same power output, thus you'll be able to buy an adapter from Halfords to match the connections in the Focus.

Again, check the spacing though before you buy one!! Double-din units are cool as they have a CD and Tape or (if your really really lucky) a CD and MD unit in one.

Heres a piccy of a Sony one....

Cheers,

Paul.

Attached Files:

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Thanks Paul,
    a double-din CD/MD machine would be ideal, but I've searched the web and not found any for sale.
    Do you have any idea of a price for one of these?

11. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Jules,

CD/MD units are really rare, so you'll have a job getting one. I think they are only available in Japan, but you can get them here as imports.

There is one for sale on Ebay, and as you can see they don't come cheap....

Click Here

Hope this helps! It has some handy links on there as well detailing more information.

Cheers!

Paul.

12. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ford radios will be smaller than that im pretty sure. The dash is the wrong shape to fit one of those.

Also the radio on that stereo will not work in the uk as it is different tuning frequency only going up to 90mhz.

13. zapellia

zapellia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit late on this one i know, but...... Ford focus/mondeo/fiesta etc with double DIN (it's not actually a double DIN more a 3 1/4) dashboards do indeed require a mounting kit. Autoleads do a full kit with or without a wiring harness adaptor (cost about 13 to 19 quid) You will need the original cage from your aftermarket CD (unless you want it to fall out!). A rear support bracket is provided in the kit to support the back of the unit, however it's a perverbial pain to fit it and from experience, provided the head unit is good quality, it's not actually needed.
    On the double DN size units..... Sony used to (had CD and Cassete in one unit) but have discontinued it (in the UK at least) although i believe Pioneer are producing one at this time, fitment will be limited to Double DIN VW's and some Jap models.

14. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    when i had my fiesta i bought the kit from Fords was about a tenner took the ford radio out and put in my JVC one. Had no problems fitting it and actually looks pretty good. I used the back bracket which was a slight pain to fit but was fine after that.

I also found that after fitting my JVC CD Player the speakers sounded much better then when i have the Ford unit in there.

What did u decide on doing??

Dal

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I havea focus... bought the adaptor which reduces the space down to a single din. It just clips into the space. Then I just fitted a kenwood with its cage straight in.. never rattle or anything.. Don;t think the space is enough for a true double din HU though.

Other option to see if you can get a ford replacement secondhand.. mine came with a 6 disc indash cd radio.. which is currently my spare in a cupboard :)

Matt