How much and where for an FM aerial

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
HI,

I'm now fed up of using a bit of wire coming out the back of my Arcam T51 tuner and would like to invest in getting a proper fm aerial fitted so I can simply plug my tuner into a socket in the wall and get a crystal clear stereo sound.

What should I expect to pay ??

Is there ways of buying and fitting it myself ??

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Thanks what would I actually need to do the whole install I'm after a decent fm aerial/wiring and an fm box on the wall so I can just plug my tuner into it and keep things looking nice and neat.

Thanks again.
Mark

Sonic67

Banned
Is the tuner upstairs or down? If upstairs you could stick an aerial in the loft and come down through a corner of the bedroom with co-ax clipped to the wall and straight into the back of the tuner.

If downstairs get the ladders out, mount the aerial to an outside wall (if directional) to the appropriate wall then clip the co-ax to the wall and run round to the outside wall of the room. Drill a hole from inside to out, thread the cable through then put the aerial plug on the end.

There are other ways of doing it. For instance fixing the aerial onto the chimney on a mast, run down through the house, chasing out the plaster and fitting an aerial box on. Or you could feed into the TV co-ax if the TV socket is near the tuner.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
its upstairs and if I could fit one into the loft would be much easier but not keen on having cables running down from the ceiling so might mount it outside on a wall and put a box on the wall should look a little smarter just need to determine where to point the aerial :rolleyes:

Sonic67

Banned
Go up into the loft fit the aerial and a short piece of co-ax. Take up an extension lead and the radio. Plug it all in and then try tuning into far away stations and adjusting the aerial. When you are happy you can get all the stations you want with a good signal then take the radio back out the loft and take off the short co-ax. It's what I did with a DAB aerial.