How many versions of Sagem?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by paulhazell, Nov 2, 2005.

1. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just done a search on Kelkoo for Sagem DLP sets and i have found 4 different model numbers as follows;

HD-D45
    HDD45HG4T
    HDD50H
    HDD56

So the question is which are the most current models?

The Sagem website list the HD-D45 and the HD-D56B so that last one makes 4 different model numbers.

How do i know i am getting a new model and not one thats been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year?

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hd-d50g4t2...

3. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So thats the latest model?...I haven't even seen one with a T2 at the end...just a T.
    If that's the latest 50" model which one is the latest 45"?

4. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Here are the Sagem DLP in order of release

HD-D50
    HD-D45
    HD-D45S
    HD-D56
    HD-D45HG4-T
    HD-D50HG4-T

The one Comet call HD-D50H is HD-D50HG4-T
    The one John Lewis call HD-D45 G4 is HD-D45HG4-T

The "H" after the screen size means its High End so that means it has speakers.
    The "B" after the screen size means its Basic so that means it has no speakers.

The "G4" mean it’s using the HD4 Chipset.
    The "T" means it has a digital tuner.

Comet do use the correct modal numbers

5. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that post sprattgraham, that's really helped me a lot.
    It does get frustrating when some retailers don't list their products using full model numbers but then i guess it's so that if they have old stock hopefully no-one would notice.

6. syouens

syouens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know why in the John Lewis shop they label the HD D45 G4 as a T2. John Lewis online don't event mention the T.

By the way. John Lewis price matched Comet for me.

7. Rubycon

Rubycon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They matched me to Comet as well....

John Lewis say the model they have in their Oxf St. store (HDD45G4) has a freeview tuner but no photo card reader built in.
    AVWow lists the HDD45HG4T with a photo card reader built in.

If correct, this means that John Lewis are mislabelling their TV as it has a freeview tuner and so (abiding by the naming convention lsted above) should have the suffix 'T'. This also means there is at least one other model to be added to the list above...which I would suggest we call (for sanity):

"HDD45HG4T (No cardreader)"..........as stocked by John Lewis
    and rename the other one
    "HDD45HG4T (w/ cardreader)"..........as stocked by AVWow

...meanwhile, I got pricematched to 1616 and a few pence on the basis of Comet's 1599+deliv charge....is that what they matched for you? (I haven't even asked Comet if theirs has a cardreader!)

This is all compunded by the Sagem website giving no info on all these latest models....

8. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all,
    Any one got any idea where I can some prices on the HD-56B version.
    Looking for either the 50 or 56.

Many thanks
    Maidstoneman30s

9. Rubycon

Rubycon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 56 is an older range now....you should look at the HDD50HG4T.... as seen on avwow site....thinks its about £1800....quite a few posters say the G4 range is very good....although there are a few reports of fan hum and some rainbowing effect...

10. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I noticed Comet have just reduced the HD-D50G4T (with card reader!) to £1699.99, and that's also the in-store price. That makes it just £100 more than the 45" equivalent.

Also just noticed in their Christmas catalogue that it's £1999.99! Very confusing....

11. Rubycon

Rubycon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonyl59, what source did you consult to find that comet online price and that it has a card reader? I'm looking at their website and can find no mention of the card reader?

12. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Rubycon, here's the link...

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/648_262064.html

I popped to my local Comet at lunchtime (sad, I know) to oggle at the 45 and 50 Sagems, the 46 Samsung, the 50 Samsung (L7 pedestal) and the Sony 50 (3LCD), all in a line, and the Sagem certainly appeared to have what looked like a card slot. Needless to say, the assistant didn't know much about it. I could also verify the G4 prices.

Cheers,
    Tony

13. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anone know where the card reader is supposed to be located on the set?
    I've just had another demo of both the 50" and the 45" in Comet and i couldn't see a card reader anywhere.
    In case anyone is interested the 45" blew the 50" out of the water. The 50" had a pretty horrendous chicken wire effect all over the screen. No matter what settings i used i couldn't get rid of it. Shame because i would have liked the 50" but that's put me right off it. I am hopefully ordering my 45" soon once i can sort out a decent price or a deal at Comet with a stand and an upscaling DVD player.

14. Rubycon

Rubycon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    paulhazel: Are you saying you compared the 45" and 50" G4 models??? Are you sure the 50" was the new G4?

This cardreader thingy is driving me crazy....JLewis confirm its not there, bt Sagem site does have a historical news release talking about the new models with photoreader...

I've been chasing a "best of" dlp screen for so long, its putting me right off the whole thing, so I took the plunge in the hope that JLewis don't know their A from their elbow and made a mistake....

Still, I'm surprised the diff between the 2 screens is so strong...I was heading in the direction of the 50"....I assume the same sources were being played?

15. bobon

bobon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rubycon, Yes the new 50" sagem has a photo card reader located on the right hand side as you look at the tv.

16. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>Rubycon: paulhazel: Are you saying you compared the 45" and 50" G4 models??? Are you sure the 50" was the new G4?........Still, I'm surprised the diff between the 2 screens is so strong...I was heading in the direction of the 50"....I assume the same sources were being played?

Yes they were both G4 models...i checked the labels on the back.....the source and cables were identical as was the DVD and all setting were identical as far as i could see....i checked and double checked everything....i desperately wanted the 50" to be the one but no matter how much i tried to convince myself that it was better i couldn't stop seeing that "chicken wire" effect.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this problem...maybe the set was a duffer....i can't see any other explanation for it. All i know is that at this moment it's the 45" i will be ordering.

17. Rubycon

Rubycon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Paul,

I agree that the 50" would have been very tempting. I think this technology is still very much in flux from rapid development. My personal decision was to go for a John Lewis 5yr guarantee to lock in the value a little, and to give me some protection from future issues.... I suspect this tv will keep me happy for the next year or so before some great mature models appear at which point a guaranteed 45" should still sell for reasonable money. John Lewis also have that 28 day return policy so if there is any disatisfaction it'll go right back.

Thanks for the heads up on the 502 quality though.....there seem to be very variable quality issues between even very similar sets....

18. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can confirm tham my G4 has a crad reader multi adapter that plugs into the right hand side of the TV (as you look at it) and that my Model is a G4 T2.As far as i know there are no variations on the 45" G4.

19. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    For what they're worth, here are my very unscientific observations from gawping at five rear pro sets at Comet (on more than one occasion), fed from either RF (Comet's regular ads, trailers etc) and a Panasonic Viera demo DVD played on an uspcaling Samsung HD850 via HDMI. On the Sony and the Sagems I could compare Freeview through their built-in tuners.

Sony KDF-E50A12 - the sharpest picture, but no matter how configured, duller (poorer contrast) than the others. Looked flatter, particularly next to the Sagem 45.

Sagem HD-D45G4T - great contrast, better blacks and brighter too. Didn't have the Sony sharpness though. Didn't see any rainbows (but then I never have).

Sagem HD-D50G4T - not quite as bright as the 45 (settings were the same) but otherwise almost identical. No evidence of rainbows or chicken-wire. Quite film-like overall.

Samsung SP46L6HX - brighter than the Sony (not as sharp) but not the depth of the Sagems. Not bad though!

Samsung SP50L7HX - the best overall picture. Good sharpness and virtually the same "snap" to the picture as the Sagems.

Overall I think I'm still leaning towards the Sony (price, performance, looks), as the Samsung 50 is not an option due to design (nowhere for centre etc). The Sagems are tempting, but more costly when you add in a stand/rack.

Actually I think I'd be pretty chuffed with any of these, especially when you get them home to normal living room lighting.

Still, the research is all part of the fun, right?

Cheers,
    Tony

20. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony, i'm glad i'm not the only one that likes the research bit!
    My wife is sick to death of me living in Comet and other electrical shops and keeps asking why i haven't just bought the damn TV yet....but it's so much fun doing the research and hassling the staff!!!

With regard to your observations i agree with pretty much all of it. Although you couldn't see the "chicken wire" on the 50" Sagem i also noticed it was duller than the 45".
    I have ruled out the Sony because it just didn't look lively enough compared to the Sagem. One scene i viewed repeatedly from Lord of the Rings was a snow covered scene and the bright blue sky in contrast to the white snow was much more apparent. Also in a shot where the ring is in the foreground on the snow it looked so metallic and real on the Sagem i felt like i could have picked it up, but on the Sony it just wasn't as lifelike.

21. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Paul, the only trouble is I'm not far off first name terms with the poor assistant in Comet; there are only so many times you can keep going back before you get recognised!

At least your other half's telling you to get a TV - I still have that bridge to cross. Still, I've done it loads of times before, so not too worried there.

Good to know you agree with my findings. Reading all these posts can get very confusing with so many different experiences.

Out of interest, AvWow are also selling the "old" Sagem 45, including delivery and two-year warranty, for £1375 (new) and £1150 (reconditioned). Here's the link..

http://www.avwow.com/acatalog/Sagem_Axium-HD-D45_High_Definition_TV.html

22. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    chicken wire effect on a dlp set ????? :eek:
    I thought it was only sets based on lcd that may show chicken wire effect. :confused:

23. syouens

syouens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was price matched to the same (£1616).

I also had a look at the set in John Lewis and the HD D45 G4 T model had a card reader on the right hand side. It only looked that it took a SD memory card though. I couldn't see any other slots.

24. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The slot does take SD but you also get an adapter thats plugs into the SD slot on the TV so you can use Memory stick, Memory Stick Pro, MMC, Smart Media, Compact Flash, XD.

25. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lion wrote: chicken wire effect on a dlp set ?????
    I thought it was only sets based on lcd that may show chicken wire effect.

This is exactly what is bugging me about that set. I've never seen a problem like it on any of the other DLP sets i've viewed in at least 3 different stores.
    I'm going to JL this weekend to see if they have the 50" there so i can have another look.

26. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  27. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, i was a gnats nuts away from buying that yesterday at £1599 but i held on to try and demo another 50" somewhere else. £1399 is SERIOUSLY tempting regardless of the 50".

28. Charlie999

Charlie999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to Comet to check out the Sony KDF-E42A12. I'd already virtually decided to but it on available information. However on seeing it (actually the Sony KDF-E50A12). I immediately ruled it out as the picture just looked so dull compared to everything else on display.

Most of the sets were fed with the most appallingly awful rf feed - making comparisons extremely difficult. However managed to get some sets running with decent High Def feed after asking for assistance.

The Samsung SP46L6HXX was quite impressive at £1499 - except the sound from the speakers was extremely thin and tiny - so I ruled that out too because I don't intend to use a seperate sound system.

The Sagem HDD45H4GT (£1699 in store) looked incredible on a hi def feed - but the set on display had a definite fault with its sound system. There was no sound at all on the high def feed - because it wasn't connected - but on rf the sound was quite simply aweful. The assitant couldn't do anything to improve it. He did however demo the 50 inch Sagem on sound and it seemed pretty good.

I finally decided on the Sagem HDD45H4GT online from Comet for £1399.

29. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Both the HD-D50HG4-T and HD-D45HG4-T that Comet have come with the memory card reader same as the ones AVWOW sell.

30. Charlie999

Charlie999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have the 46 inch Toshiba DLP (bought it nearly a year ago when it was released). I still think this is the best set available - and would buy another one for the front room - except it is too big to fit in an alcove.

If the Sagem turns out to be as good as the Toshiba I will be very pleased indeed.

I take most posts on here with a pinch of salt - particularly ones from 12 year olds who's Mum's work for the competetion.

The latest DLP's are quite simply brilliant - much better than LCD or Plasma providing you don't want to hang them on the wall.