1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many times can you re-use a DV tape?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jules, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Just got my first camcorder from Jessops, a Sony TRV33 (£609 internet price match).
    I've been practising with it using the same tape a few times over.

These DVD tapes are pretty expensive so I want to get my moniesworth out of them.
    Do they cause problems with repeated use.
    If so, how many times over can you safely use them.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I tend to only use DV tapes once!
    They are failrly good quality, but they are alsao digital and quality will start to drop if reused several times.
    If you get your tapes from the high street then you will be paying £5-10 per tape which is far too high. take a look at http://www.pricebuster.org.uk/ they sell mini DV tapes from just over £2 each inc VAT (P&P £6.95 per order). At this price it really is better to just use them once. Besides if you record over something it is lost. You may make a VCD for example and then next year get a DVD burner and want to put it to DVD at full quality. If recorded over the DV tape this can not be done.
    Be ware that it is NOT a good idea to use different makes of DV tape. Sticking to one make could extend the life of your camcorder.

Mark.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Already got a DVD burner so I'm not worried about keeping stuff on tape.
    But, at £2 a tape instead of £7, why not.

Thanks

4. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest and realistic, you can use a tapes a few times without noticeable loss of quality and degradation. However, at the end of the day they are tapes and so over time they will stretch and wear, this is when you start to notice degradation to both sound and video.

Like Mark, I tend to only use my tapes once (except one tape which I have as a scratch tape, i.e. test out settings etc). However, I do "stripe" my tapes before use just so I can have a nice continuous timecode on there with no chance of breaks (which causes havoc with my editing suite when I want to batch digitise). So in effect they are used twice.

One important note is to try and stick with the same manufacturer of tape. Companies use different manufacturing processes which don't always coexist well together. For example, Sony's tapes use a "wet" type coating (apparently) which leaves a small residue on the camcorder tape heads. This is fine if you continue to use Sony tapes but has been known to cause problems if you then change to a different vendor (using a 'dry' type tape). Having said that I use Sony Premium tapes in my Canon and am very pleased with the quality (probably no better than any other make though).

5. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    i just bought a new panasonic nv-ds65b for a bargainous price of £317 deliverd :eek:).. and looking on th site i cant see a list of tapes under a miniDV list??? whats are the tapes a miniDV camcorder uses?... is my first camcorder so is all new to me :)).. also if their on the site but i just cant see tham... could someone reccomend a good brand/model? thnx :0)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    On http://www.pricebuster.org.uk/ click on the button on the left hand menu labeled as 'Digital Video'. All the tapes in that section are mini DV.
    As stated already in this thread, stick to the same make of DV tapes that you are already useing (I assume you got a couple of tapes with the cam).

Mark.

7. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31