1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many switch brands?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by manhar, Oct 26, 2005.

1. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are there Sanyo owners who have moved over to the Panny side (and vice versa) when upgrading projectors, or do people stick to their original brands?
    And if you did switch, why?

2. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've had my Sanyo Z2 for nearly two years now and clocked up around 1500 hours at low setting. Nor have I had any dust blobs despite the fact that the town I live in could be twinned with Fallujah or Sadr City after the yanks had done their worse.

It's been a superb machine and I guess I'd be brand loyal and go for a Sanyo 4 or even 5 :) whenever that comes out.

I'm also dealer loyal too and whenever the day comes to purchase a new PJ the quite excellent Ivojo will do for me.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I've had 2 Sanyo's, an Hitachi, and now a Sony. I'll go where ever I think the best technology :)

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'm not really that brand loyal (had an Epson and a Sanyo so far) and will generally go with the best PJ I can get for my cash at the time. I must admit that I do really like my Sanyo so I would probably check out what ever was their current model first, when I come to upgrading again. :smashin:

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I too have a Z2 which i have had for nearly two years now and have clocked up just over 1,000 hours in eco, also purchased from Ivojo who i would use again.

Like CAS Fan my next pj will be the best i can get for my cash when the time comes.

6. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I will definately switch brands. I was totally impressed with the Panasonic AE700 until it failed to start on Sept 7th, it is still being repaired (Oct 27th). I have tried in vain to get some sort of response from their CS department, but they dont give a sh*t. If it ever gets repaired, I think it will wend its way to ebay and Sanyo with their 3 year warantee will get my hard earned. :mad:

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I must say that Sanyo's 3 year warranty will be a big factor when it comes to chosing a replacement to my Z3. PJ's aren't cheap and I guess there are things that can go wrong with them (due to the heat they produce etc) so having the peace of mind of a 3 year warranty is a BIG plus!

8. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I also have a AE700 (and a DMR-E100, thats over 2 grand of kit) but will not buy Panasonic again after hearing of peoples bad experiences on this forum and seeing real customer service from Oppo

I hope someone from Panasonic is reading this.

9. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went with sanyo Z3 due to 3 year warranty and some other reasons like cleaning feature. I went with oppo due to customer service and good feedback from forums.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am up to nearly 3000 hours on my HS10 and was tempted to buy an Optoma H79 earlier this year (as it is so quiet) until I read about the Ruby and now I want another Sony......

11. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had Sony, Panasonic and Sanyo. Most pleased with Sanyo. Would I switch brands or retailers? Hell yes! Whichever product is best is whats important.

With the amount of members having bad panny experiences, they are currently crossed off my list of projector purchases and im seriously re-thinking what to do with my plan to buy a Panasonic plasma. I dont want to be chasing around after a retailer or even suing a retailer because the manufacturer is useless/lazy/inept at providing warranty service. Its a shame as i have been telling friends/family for some time that Panasonic plasmas are some of the best. Now I personally am worried about buying one!!

12. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sainthalo, Like you I was contemplating the Panasonic Plasma which is brilliant but have decided to go for a Pioneer after hearing about the many complaints about Panasonic's shoddy after sales service.

13. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what i was thinking too. I did hear there are some manufacturers that use panny glass. now we may get better support from them. anyone know who they are?

14. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive been a loyal panny owner for my last 3 pj's but will definately be switching to another manufacturer for my next purchase, epson and sanyo are favourite at the moment because of the warranty.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm happy with the Hitachi but I'd change manufacturers no problem. If for example the Z4 was as good as the TX200 I'd go with the Z4 because of the warranty. It's a big assumption at this stage though. :D

16. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The warranty seems to be an important factor to many.
    So why is it that Panny dont have a 3yr warranty like Sanyo?
    Is it because Sanyo are fairly confident that nothing serious is likely to go wrong with their product whilst Panny are not so confident?
    Equally it would be nice to know how many Pannys breakdown vs how many Sanyos. Is such info available? (Which magazine does such an analysis for their annual "Which Car" reviews.)

17. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :D What if both projectors are equally as good, but the Z4 costs £170 more and has a 3 year warranty? If Hitachi gave a 3 year (or even 2 year) warranty, I'd be on the phone to Benji today. As it is, I'm undecided.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good point. I'm assuming they are the same price. If the Z3 / TX100 situation is anything to go by the TX200 will be cheaper. The TX100 was 2 or 3 hundred pounds cheaper than the Z3 and the AE700 when I bought it. On reflection perhaps I shouldn't be so scathing about the Hitachi warranty, I could always go and pay for an extension and still be in pocket!...PJ :)

19. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wyrdness, its not the extra cost for the warranty that is in question. It is the reliability factor that we need to know about. This info could be made available by reviewers. If Which magazine can do it for cars why not expert PJ reviewers do the same? I would rather buy the more reliable of 2 PJs rather than pay extra for a warranty.
    I'd rather not have to send it back to base for repairs at all!

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think because...

- the "business end" of PJs are on a microscopic level and any imperfections are greatly magnified to the viewer....

- they place a very hot lamp next to this "business end"...

- they mitigate this by constantly blowing air through the unit so inviting contamination...

...all add together to make the question of reliability a bit of a gamble. You could buy the more reliable of the two only for it to go "phut" in a short timescale. That's why an extended warranty is desirable...PJ

21. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, you're right. It is reliability that's important. However, how do you measure reliability? Some people will use their projectors a lot more in a year than others. I don't think that reviewers can easily find out how reliable a projector is, without using it continuously for a year or more. If you look at failure graphs for electrical equipment you will find that most failures happen within a few days of purchase. After that time, equipment is usually reliable for several years. What I would like to know is how many projectors break between 2 and 3 years?