How many subs can you have? Try 18x18" drivers! Yeah baby!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DrGekko, Aug 6, 2013.

1. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
  2. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    That system is an inspiration, although my credit card is currently trembling with fear in the corner lol

3. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    For his particular system, it's obviously not cheap when everything stacks up (literally!!) but the cost comparison isn't bad...

"At $190 per unit, the Stereo Integrity HT 18" driver is relatively affordable for such a large and powerful driver—and the design is claimed to be specifically tailored for home-theater applications. Bass management was handled by a MiniDSP 10x10HD."

The MiniDSP is $500 and the driver is $190 so I guess 1 sub costs around $800 manufactured? So four of these would be the equivalent of a single, good, branded 12-15" sub I'm guessing... so seems like very good value to me.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Thanks

Those who think that having so many sub drivers means being swamped in bass are utterly mistaken.
    You calibrate the subs against your speakers as you would any other subwoofer.
    Though you'd better have some pretty serious speakers to avoid total dynamic eclipse.

What these huge subwoofer/speaker systems bring to the table is effortless power, terrifying dynamics, breathtaking realism and extension into the single digits of Hz. This is a region where strange tactile effects add real drama, autonomic emotional response, greater immersion and suspension of any lingering disbelief.

Such subwoofer/speaker systems are not "Over The Top" but a valid attempt at "real world" realism in sound reproduction.
    Almost nothing we do in HT is truly realistic in representing realistic acoustic power.
    Nor would we ever want to wear ear defenders at home while watching films or listening to music.
    Fortunately the low frequencies allow us to massively increase the sense of realism and scale without risking ear damage.

5. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I think that's a brilliant explanation and it begs us really to go out there and experience multi-sub systems. I know Gecko HQ has the "octosub" system which I'd love to check out later this year... also GeckoDan is a multi-sub man himself and suggested one day, I should seriously consider upgrading to quad-driven system.

Very interesting article and your summary clarifies things very well indeed. Nice one! ;)

6. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    It must be awesome but imagine those drivers must be still seems like overkill, they must be running like 50db each.

7. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I want that set-up.

8. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    True, but that does mean they are not stressed in any way and therefore have all the headroom you could want, as well as playing very cleanly because there is none of the distortion that comes about at each end of the excursion limits :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Other effect begin to come into play as well. In a system like this, the subwoofer stops working like a speaker in the room, and instead the bass is produced as though its emitting from the walls themselves. You get increased boundary gain further improving system headroom, you get cleaner reproduction because there isnt really any reflected waves like a normal box subwoofer would get, and from an eq POV, you essentially get your eq done for you as the system balances out within the room to give the most naturally flat response to ever lower levels.