How many stations do you get on DAB?

How many stations can you pick up on DAB?

• Total voters
From My Bedroom on my Denon D-M37 DAB, I get 4 or 5 multiplexes which is over 40 stations.

BBC
Digital 1
MXR North East
Bauer Teesside
MXR Yorkshire (sometimes vpoor reception)

The other question is, How many of the DAB stations do you actually listen to?

For me, about 7 or 8. R1, R4, R5L-Extra, BBC6M ClassicFM, Madgic1170, LBC, Amazing Radio and occasionally Traffic info. So only 4 or 5 that is not on FM.

P.S. Nick, You do know that this is a 3 and a Half year old thread.

Last edited:
69 for me in SW19. Haven't done an autotune for quite some time though so there may be some newer ones I'm not currently picking up.

Of these I probably listen to less than 10 on any sort of regular basis.

Never had any reception issues (don't even need to extend the aerials on either my Roberts or Vita sets).

Still at about 53 it seems.

Last edited:
After a retune last night 65. I think the weather is particularly good, or a new transmitter perhaps.

I find the logic behind this thread hard to understand. Some areas are served by more DAB stations than others. Some people evidently live on the fringes of several transmitters and are receiving the same radio stations from different sources. To be getting 60+ radio stations does not mean a greater variety of entertainment. A lot of commercial stations are owned by the same companies.

There are some that are limited to playing from the same 'play lists' so identical records are being transmitted in between localised advertising. Often stations are being run from by computer with the occasional local 'ident' being broadcast to create the impression that it is a 'live' transmission. I'm afraid that quantity does not equal quality when it comes to a lot of DAB broadcasting. You may as well listen to your own compilation of music on a MP3 player. At least the quality of the sound will be better.

For comparison I only get about 16 on FM. For both FM and DAB I have aerials in the loft. Perhaps I should list all the truly unique ones?

Just done an autotune and it found 30 stations.

I have a Pure Siesta Flow alarm clock, and having recently moved to the PO15 area, I no get no DAB stations at all! It's not the alarm clock at fault, just a very bad reception area. I get a limited number of FM stations too :(

I get 75 on my bedroom portable (BBC on 12B, D1 on 11D, London 1 on 12C,2 on 12A,3 on 11B & Essex on 12D), and another 9 from Kent on 11C on my (long in the tooth) Videologic 601ES which is attached to an external Band III antenna. The Kent stations are however subject to breakup as I am well outside their protected area.

This must surely be getting on for the maximum possible. May get more when the Herts mux (eventually) makes it to air.

I get about 20+ stations but half of them have a question mark against them and when i choose them my radio says not available:confused:

What's that all about:thumbsdow

Yes, many dab sets collect the station info even if the signal is too weak to play it. It lets you know what you're missing. :rotfl:

Just bought my wife a Pure Evoke 1S for Christmas, and can only get 14 DAB and a surprisingly limited amount of FM stations (in the centre of Ipswich.) Oooh arrrr, bu’we dusn’t need all them fangled stations, as moy woife she do onla lissen to Radio 4 an 5 Loive wen she do be a milkin’ the cows.
“Yes, many dab sets collect the station info even if the signal is too weak to play it” So I’ve found out!!
What we do get though, is very clear and I can certainly recommend the Pure Evoke for value for money.

Just bought my wife a Pure Evoke 1S for Christmas, and can only get 14 DAB ......What we do get though, is very clear and I can certainly recommend the Pure Evoke for value for money.[/COLOR]

Yes I have no complaints about dab - certainly in the city - but it is not better than fm and they should not switch fm off until all dab transmitters start broadcasting a good [and full] selection of stations. :hiya:

Amen to that.........surely "they" must see there will be an FM requirement for many years to come, for many, many reasons.

Here's wavin' back at yer :hiya:

You get far better sound from s good FM signal than a DAB one. Some adverts claim DAB give CD quality. IMHO it does not, it gives a compressed MP3 quality of sound.

I hope FM is not switched off, as I listed to stations in FM if I can, rather than DAB.

No adverts claim CD sound quality. They might claim digital sound quality or similar.

You get far better sound from a good FM signal than a DAB one. Some adverts claim DAB give CD quality. ...........

I think that is meant as a warning :rotfl: And it should be read as "DAB can only give CD quality" :hiya:

As we know, fm 'can' supply far more, though many DJs now just use an MP3 player. :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom