How many stations do you get on DAB?

How many stations can you pick up on DAB?

• Total voters

tvdavid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I get 66 where I am.

I get the

BBC , D1 , Now S&C , Now Digital Kent , CE London , DRG London , Switch London

Muxs

Alot of stations are the same like I have Kiss 3 times.

Amount seems to vary slightly. 47 easily, with better weather I can get Coventrys too which takes me to just under 60.

Do an autotune and it should tell you how many it finds.

I just got a Personal Feguson DAB and already had a Technics HiFi Tuner. Both get just 20 stations (none duplicated). I only listen to BBC Radio 1-3, Virgin, Classic FM and Planet Rock anyway.

i got a pure tempus - 1

it has not been updated via software update via usb connector

i can pickup around 35-40 channels where i am in Isleworth London

i mostly listen to lbc 97.3 and planet rock

i hope this helps

i just wonder where you can get the secound speaker from :rolleyes:

:lease: :spam: =:eek: :eek: :eek:

I get 10 BBC channels perfectly and about 7 with poor or unintelligible reception :( Living in IP33.

44 for me but not Radio 1 to 5 :mad: . I can pick them up on another DAB Radio in the same position.

The latter uses a hard metal aerial and first a stupid bit of wire, why do they include these? I do wonder. I think I need a booster.

57 in Derby, assuming Sports Extra and Oneword are both on.
This is using a Pure 1 Evoke as my bedside radio with just its telescopic antenna. Get the BBC and Digital One muxes..plus Now Nottingham, Now Leicester, MXR West Mids, and CE Birmingham. On my car DAB, I get all of these as well in Derby....though CE Birmingham comes through only in the southern fringes of the city, and MXR "comes in and out" in the city centre. Not complaining though!!

Taking this poll as a guide then about 40% of people get less than 20 DAB stations ? When you consider there are 10+ BBC that everyone gets (more if you include local BBC) - that's not a very good or wide choice.

I get exactly 20, 11 of which are BBC.

Depends on how you look at it. A half of those who voted get more than 40. Then about a quarter get more than 50!

Part of it might be down to habit of people buying cheap DAB radios with little better than a piece of wire hanging off the back. Even so this is still some radio stations that you might not otherwise get. Presumably people still have their existing radio equipment. It's also down to where you live. Some areas still don't have much of a DAB service. More transmitters are still being added.

A telling statistic would have been to see who (and where) reception is not possible at all. They key to DAB as a popular format is also down to how many people can't get it. FM won't go until the ratio of folks who can't get it at all is roughly similar.

I get 66 where I am.

I get the

BBC , D1 , Now S&C , Now Digital Kent , CE London , DRG London , Switch London

Muxs

Alot of stations are the same like I have Kiss 3 times.

Same here also in clacton-on-sea (this morning an auto-tune found 70, obveousley more channels have been added) using a single dipole antenna on a pole outside my bedroom window, nice!

39 here i think last time i tuned. ( PURE Evoke-1xt )
quite a lot less than some of you here, must be quite different depending on area.

Depends on how you look at it. A half of those who voted get more than 40. Then about a quarter get more than 50!
Lies and statistics, eh :D
I'm a bit disappointed with DAB tbh - I get exactly 20 stations on DAB, including 11 (or is it 12?) BBC - and I get 20 (on average, some come and go) FM stations, including 5 BBC. Both are from ordinary telescopic aerials. It's not exactly a great increase in choice, is it ?
When you consider that 3 of those DAB channels are R5, Talksport and World Service, which can be found on MW/LW, there's actually less of a choice on DAB versus an old FM/MW/LW radio.
I'm also disappointed nothing new has come in to replace Primetime, it's hardly encouraging.

arthurdentpc, there are plenty of areas with DAB but no BBC Reception.... Digital1 Network has much higher coverage of Great Britain than BBC National DAB does.

Having multiple radios of varying quality (basically the newer the radio the more sensitive it is) I can't give a straight answer - instead I choose what I can listen on all my non-handheld radios at homes - therefore I've voted for "around 30"...

On my HiFi tuner I find 29 stations, they are NOW Nottingham and Digital1 Network, and for most of the time BBC National DAB (I now have a dipole aerial indoors which has improved reliability of BBC National DAB, so I'm hoping it won't be missing for half the summer!)

In the car I get NOW Nottingham and Digital1 Network, with NOW Leicester and BBC National DAB being intermittent, and very occasional availability of MXR Yorkshire.

My handheld set gets 17 stations (Digital1 Network and NOW Nottingham) in usable quality, with some faffing you can get BBC National DAB in a fixed position (i.e. at my desk at work) but someone walking past is enough to knock that out.

The surprise of the bunch is my bathroom radio (Roberts RD-49) which gets solid reception of NOW Leicester most of the time - a feat no other radio manages - alas the vast majority of that multiplex duplicates NOW Nottingham so isn't used anyway.

My parents DAB radio gets around 40 stations in the kitchen, and 50 upstairs (MXR North West, Digital1 Network, EMAP Central Lancashire, BBC National DAB being the core, with EMAP Liverpool upstairs too) - My Pocket DAB gets ~40 stations there.

The difference between a metal telescopic aerial and a 'silly' piece of wire doesn't necessarily correlate as far as the number of stations received. My (very cheap - £79) Sony CD/FM/DAB/Cassette micro system, which has a wire aerial, picks up around 30 DAB stations, yet my more expensive Genus PR1i CD/DAB, with a rod aerial, only gets around 20 and it's only yards away from the Sony. A good example is Classic FM - great on the Sony, no service on the Genus. The only conclusion I can draw is that the Sony has more sensitive DAB receiver circuitry.

I should have added (though not strictly on-message to this thread): check out the Sony CMT-EH20DAB micro system. It's superb value and works disarmingly well for the dosh.

I get about 20+ stations but half of them have a question mark against them and when i choose them my radio says not available:confused:

What's that all about:thumbsdow

I can get 20 stations in Hereford, from a huge aerial!

These stations being; All BBC, BFBS (fizz , crackle), amazingtunes.com, NME, Classic FM, Galaxy (at night/ clear sky/ no wind), LBC (bit messy), Planet Rock, Talk Sport, Christian Radio, Virgin.

No wonder people in these parts make their own entertainment...:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom