How many spurs can I install?


Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm taking the bank holiday as a great opportunity to wall mount my Pioneer Plasma. However I've got a question on spurs...

I'm wanting to run one from a double socket up to the plasma then fit a fused cable outlet behind the plasma for power. I also want to put all my equipment in the cupboard under the stairs. This doesn't have any power but there's another double socket in close proximity. Initially I wanted to extend the ring main into here but I can't see a way to do so without doing a messy join above the plug outlet and then i'd have to use some kind of cheap cable connection blocks to extend one of the cables. I think it would be safer and easier to run a second spur but I'm not sure what the law and general concensus is to having 2 spurs on a ring? Some places say one only and others suggest you can have as many spurs as sockets!

Also should I be using fused spurs (ie fused face plate next to the original double socket) or is it OK to just run from the original socket as long as i put any mains cable in metal trunking?

Thanks in advance for any replies and I'll get some pics up once the project is nearer completion.


you can have one spur per outlet. So in your case you can have both spurs without a problem. Do not worry about the fused spur outlet unless you want to be able to turn the plasma off from there.


Active Member
but that can only be wired in if you are an electrician! :)

You can install a spur from the CU yourself. It's debateable if this is notifiable under Part P of the Building Regulations as it is an additoinal socket on an existing circuit and no changes are being made to the circuit protection. Phone your local BC and ask them.

If they say it is notifiable, then it's not worth doing it yourself as the BC fee will probably make it more expensive than using the services of an electrician whose company is a member of a Part P Competent Persons scheme (only companies can be members, not individuals).

You can do ANY electrical work yourself if you are competent (ie you know what you are doing), you do NOT have to be formally qualified, but you have to notify some work to LABC in advance for them to inspect and test. Don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to use a qualified electrician, that is nonsense. LABC cannot legally refuse a Building Notice for electrical work if made by an unqualified person, any more than they can refuse any other buliding notice from a DIYer, and they are OBLIGED to inspect and test AT THEIR EXPENSE - you only pay the standard fee.

This is all quite clearly described in Approved Document P April 2006 and the associated statutory instruments. Some LABCs try to duck their repsonsibilties in this area. More details here:


Active Member
And bizarrely many councils don't have the qualified staff to deal with these checks so then appoint companies within the commuity to call out and check your work! The whole system is a mess. They have the right idea but cannot implement it without contraditions.

We should have taken the route of the Oz's and make sure any Elec. work carried out is done so by a Goverment issued card carrying approved electrical engineer.



PS. F*** the JIB. Oppressors to us all. Run by Scammers!


Active Member
No argument there, so long as they make it possible for an individual whose primary occupation is not an electrician to qualify - i.e. they base the qualification on knowlege and ability and not on whether you are a company with PLI, etc.

I see no reason why a DIYer should not be able to become qualified to DIH.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom