1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many speakers should i get?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by coolasacucumber, Apr 1, 2005.

1. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    running a yammy dsp-ax750, with tosh sd340 & panny pwd6, i want to know if running 6 or 7 speakers actually makes a difference to 5?

i have never heard a 7.1 system, are they worth the extra?

and if so, what would be a good speaker package to go for around £500?

cheers!

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Cool !

I've just got a Canton CD-1 package which is 5.1 and have my rear speakers directly at my left and right (Can't mount them any further back because they are on the corners of a bay window). Although the system is really good, I find that because the speakers aren't far enough behind me, there is a bit of a hole behind me. Luckily, there is enough room in the bay for another speaker so I think an extra one might be in order, but not until my amp upgrade which will be next year probably.

Anyway, back to your problem. Since most speaker packages come in 5.1, start from here and work upwards. Go and listen to a 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 systems in a shop and see if you can notice the difference.

When cabling for the speakers, run a couple extra if you decide later you want 6.1 or 7.1 for the rears, it'd only cost another tenner and you may as well do it while you've got everything pulled up (That's if you're going to runn the cables under the floor).

Which system depends on you but the Canton CD-1 can be got for £240 in the UK (Previously had to be from Germany at that price) and extra speakers are only £45 for the sats (CD10s). You could also get the CD-1 and 3 CD-50's for the left, right and centre. The other 2 CD10s could be used as the 7.1 with a speaker extra (Mount it on the ceiling for 8.1 !). I think this would be around £500-£550. Check out the Canton in the UK thread for availability and prices and www.canton.de for the CD package.

HTH,

Richie.

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I've got 6.1 and it only makes a "proper" difference on a 6.1 film, otherwise the amp "fakes" it. Two Towers is good for the rear center.

4. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks both. ill take a look at the cantons.

how many films are produced in 6.1 or 7.1 then? is it quite a low proportion?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Very few films take much account of the rear speakers anyway and not every film has spaceships or helicopters in it. I have 5.1 and have never felt that I am missing out by not having the extra rear speakers.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I too was thinking of going the 7.1 route, but my seating is touching the rear wall so i dont think that i would get any benefit due to speaker placements etc. Currently i have 5.1 with my rears to the side of my listening position.

I have been scrutinising the rears over the past few weeks and like Ian i really dont think that i am missing anything in my set up, maybe its just those K4s :D

Also, as has been stated, the proportion of films with 7.1 or 6.1 is very low, i imagine with the advent of HD this may change though.

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    I have heard a few 6.1 systems, and no 7.1 systems (although this is only really splitting the rear channel into 2).

All of the 6.1 systems I have heard did make use of the centre rear (although most of this would be the amp just bunging some bits of noise in there from the other two rears!).
    Whether this improves the movie experience, though, is a debatable point - the whole point of rear channels is not to be able to pinpoint them, and I could clearly hear the rear centre speaker in each of the systems as being set up too loud. Impressive - yes, in a way. As it's supposed to be - no.

Why not try and get to listen to a really good 5.1 system. Maybe way over the price range you can afford, but one that you might want to aspire to one day.
    Then listen to another 5.1 system, at a lower price point but with the price difference being the extra rear speakers.
    If you cannot tell the difference, maybe 6.1 or 7.1 is the way to go. If the more expensive system is clearly better, I doubt that adding extra speakers to the lower priced system will make the difference.

Unfortunately, nearly all home cinema integrated amps come with 7 (or more) channels of amplification. And if you're happy with 5.1, you're not making the most of the money you've spent on the amp.

Phil

8. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies, as stated, i do want to make the most of the amp, but only if im going to find it more enjoyable

9. 2morex

2morex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, tried 7.1 and decided that it was not worth the extra expense of side speakers. Removing these also resulted in better imaging from my fronts. I assume that in my room there was simply too much competition going on. I will never go back to 7.1. Good 5.1 beats "OK" 7.1 everytime. For most systems 7.1 is a maketing ploy to sell speakers. Spend your money on your fronts, you'll never regret the decision.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you have a set budget I would stick with 5 speakers and get better ones than you would have got if you were going to buy 7 (if that makes any sense?). I am in the process of going back to 5 from 7 myself.

Cheers
    Rob