Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How many Sky+ boxes in one house?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by museumsteve, Jan 20, 2005.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    We currently have 2 Sky+ boxes, one in my movie room and one in front room. They both have their own dishes and are connected to phone line. We pay a mirror sub for second box (took a while to get Sky to do this cos of 2 dishes). The RF feeds from front room to loft where distribution box sends to TVs upstairs but of course can only watch what is on in front room. Installer said 'eye link' wont work with distribution box but there are ways round it.
    My question is, if I got 2 more Sky+ boxes for the kids bedrooms, what options would I have for them to get more than the freeview stuff and to use Sky+ features? We're on the full package if it makes a difference.
    Does anyone have more than 2 Sky+ boxes that have all features enabled?

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crickey?! As far as I'm aware, unless you've asked permission from the council you're already in breach of planning regs for having more than one dish on the house! I reckon sky would charge you the monthtly £10 sub for each box. You'd be better off getting them a freeview tivo type thing if you just want freeview channels.

On another note... are you sure you want the kids to be able to wake up in the middle of the night and watch all the crap they've recorded off the CBBC channel during the day?

3. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Eye link works with certain distribution boxes. Mine is set -up with a distribution box and it works fine. I seem to remember there was a reason why certain ones don't work but I can't remember what it is. This also affects the sockets on the wall if you use them as certain ones won't allow the eye link to work either.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    I guess I'll have to get onto Sky and see what magic numbers they come up with.
    As for planning permission for dishses, I didn't think it applied for dishes to the rear of a house and/or mini dishes. I have 3 (lol) 2 minidishes and a 1m for Euro1080, maybe I better camouflage them ;)

5. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    you could just fit quad lnbs to both dishes and that would feed 4 sky+ boxes.

then surely they'd just charge the £10 mirror sub per box plus £10 sky+ sub(i know it gets waived with more than one premium channel but this situation may be different cos of multiple sky+ boxes)

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm fairly sure that the planning regs don't apply if the dish is not a permanent fixture. So, if you bolt a pedestal mount to a paving slab on the patio, and weight it down with a few bricks, it's not a permanent fixture.