• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

How many post codes ?

Jaymog

Standard Member
:) Hi all, I'm starting a new job soon which involves a lot of driving. I have never owned a sat nav and would like to know a few things. :lease:

Can you add more than one post code or address. Say I had to find 10 address's, can I input the whole ten and would the sat nav put them in some kind of order? if they do this that would be great.

I'm not really interested in fancy features like being able to give voice commands or the ability to phone or mp3 players. I just want a cheap simple clear system that will guide me because the area's I will be visiting are completely unknown to me and time is important, so I have no time to look at an A to Z.

If my question seem obvious then I'm sorry, but like I said I haven't owned one before and if I'm to spend £130-£170 Ineed some idea of what they can do.

Many Thanks :smashin:

lynx

Senior Moderator
Can you add more than one post code or address. Say I had to find 10 address's, can I input the whole ten and would the sat nav put them in some kind of order? if they do this that would be great.

For this, your looking for a multi drop facility such as found on the Garmin Nuvi 760 (though check to confirm).

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
i used to deliver multidrop for comet, and found at the time (2-3yrs ago) that nothin beat the TOMTOM, never lost a signal and helped me over the mid-welsh hills and thru the baron outback of hereford, with nothin more than a postcode to go from. at that time it didnot have a facility to put the drops in order, but they may do now.

belive me theres more to the tomtom than just getting from a-b. if u need any other POI's that arnt included, u can get em from a GPS website

Jaymog

Standard Member
Thanks lad's. After searching I found this

Q. Can I set up a multi-drop itinerary and get TomTom One to calculate the best/shortest/fastest route to encompass all drops? - The TomTom One supports itinerary planning where you can set up multiple points to navigate to. The list of stops can be saved and manually reordered. The TomTom One does not support optimising the itinerary to reorder in the most efficient way.

Cheers :hiya:

KeithO

:) Hi all, I'm starting a new job soon which involves a lot of driving. I have never owned a sat nav and would like to know a few things. :lease:

I'm not really interested in fancy features like being able to give voice commands or the ability to phone or mp3 players. I just want a cheap simple clear system that will guide me because the area's I will be visiting are completely unknown to me and time is important, so I have no time to look at an A to Z.

If my question seem obvious then I'm sorry, but like I said I haven't owned one before and if I'm to spend £130-£170 Ineed some idea of what they can do.

Many Thanks :smashin:
This is commonly known as "The Travelling Salesman" problem. It generally needs quite a bit of processing power and last time I looked no SatNavs offered that kind of functionality. However things might have changed since I looked (about a year ago).

I doubt that TomTom offer this (I have a TT920). The itinerary function is very limited (basically allows you to put in a series of waypoints to be visited on the way to your destination). Unless it's changed functionality radically due to a recent update (I have not checked recently I must admit) then it will not calculate the most efficient route for you, it just directs you to the waypoints in the order you entered them.

According to the Garmin website the 760 will
Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route)
so lynx might have pointed you at exactly what you need :thumbsup:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
CoPilot will do this for you & is available as software for a PDA/SmartPhone or preinstalled on Acer hardware. I think O2 bundle it with the XDA Orbit II.

Multiple stop trips. Unlike many navigation systems, CoPilot Live lets you enter-in multiple stops in a complex itinerary. You can even work out the most efficient route to take using the unique 'Optimize' feature

Jaymog

Standard Member
I decided to buy the TomTom 520. It won't sort post codes but you can save up to 48 routes and add waypoints/destinations, which I'm sure will be ok for what I need. It's a super piece of kit and so far I’m very pleased with it. Proof of the pudding will be on Monday when I start my new job. Cheers all for your help.:smashin:

superbike999

Itinery planning will put the calls in order, but you need to give it a little help. You build up the list by clicking on the "add" button, after selecting itinery planning. You can add by post codes or address.

If you then find that one or more calls is in the wrong order, simply select that item in the list. It then takes you to another screen where you can move the item up or down, mark it as visited, or delete it. It sounds more complicated than it is, if you try it out you'll find it's quite easy.

I think that TomTom have had this feature for quite a while. I don't know anything about other manufacturers, I have only ever used TT. (TT Navigator with a PDA and now a TT730 - will be used for first time tomorrow).

Cheers, Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom