How many people bought a HD-DVD player since the price drops?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BrutalDeluxe, Jan 23, 2008.

?
  1. Yes - This is my first HD DVD player

90 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes - Although I already have a HD DVD player

71 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Yes - Although I already have a Blu-ray player

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. BrutalDeluxe

BrutalDeluxe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pretty much as the topic states really. Hopefully it will also give us an idea if Toshiba's strategy is really working.

2. Madz

Madz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I bought an ep-30, I wanted it when it was £190, but then circumstances changed, but then it became affordable again so brought it, there was never really any doubt about it though, despite all the blu ray fanboys. I was a bit dissapointed when I went to the shops yesterday though, blu ray has much more shelf space and starship troopers :( lol.

3. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    I bought a EP 35 from play for £189. I was going to buy one after reading Whathifi review when it came out but after the announcements thought I'd go blu ray but the player situation is a bit of a mess at the moment.

4. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Its wiered to be honest both formats dont have much publicity of shelf space although sometime one form,at has doubles up on films to make it look more.

5. blaster9999

blaster9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    already had access to a PS3 got an external 360 drive moved up the EP30 I only bought a few blueray films The PS3 has now moved to my sons room The ep30 does what I want it to be a decent upscaler and HD source

6. mbgames1

mbgames1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    unfortunately i bought ep30 at the start of december when it was £189 i guessed the price would come down but not in just over one month like it has.

7. roygbiv6

roygbiv6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Took back my xbox HD DVD & put the money towards an EP 30. Too good a price to miss out on with the 7 free movies.

8. the id

the id

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Sold XBox 360 HD DVD add-on, EP35 coming from Play.
    To be honest had good deal with sale of add-on, therefore paid a pittance for the Toshiba. :smashin:

War

9. Jamz3k

Jamz3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Same here sold my 360 HD-DVD addon an hour ago, ordered EP-35 approx. 5 minutes ago. Hopefully i will get it for the weekend!

10. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Isn't this poll fairly useless without a no option? The only thing it's going to show you is people that bought one.

11. Hovvy

Hovvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Temporarily out of stock on play.com

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Which is the whole point as I understand it, it's not a poll on the format war it's simply to gauge the take up of HD DVD based on the recent price cuts and breaks it down to current and new users of the format.

Start a poll with the question "has the recent price cuts led to a HD DVD purchase" then a "no" option has validity but that would be open to being spoiled by those who would have no intent to buy into the format regardless.

13. BrutalDeluxe

BrutalDeluxe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's exactly it, this poll is only directed at people who have bought a player since the price cuts. It gives us a bit of a gauge whether Toshiba's 'strategy' if that is what it is, is working or not.

14. radriderx

radriderx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yip - just bought an EP30 from Amazon!

Made myself a promise that I would dip my toe once a player broke the £150 barrier and I don't think any blu-ray player will be near that level any time soon.

15. tekmobile

tekmobile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't vote sold mine for £130 5 days before the price drop in light of no warner titles after may I doubt this will help HD DVD at all really but I only had about 40 titles and now since the warner anouncement I also own 17 Blu-ray titles

16. gvers

gvers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I bought an EP30 to go with my PS3 for blu ray. Was going to go HD DVD originally but Sony's bundle of a free PC with the KDL40V3000 sent me the other way. Now the price cuts have made entry to HD DVD affordable I didn't see a reason not to. Watched 300 on HD DVD last night stuck on DD5.1 for the time being though.

17. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,587
    So you want to know how many people haven't bought a HD DVD player recently? :confused:

I haven't because I already have one. How does knowing that help anyone? I don't doubt for a second that some would paint my 'not bought one' vote as a sign of dissatisfaction with the format, which would clearly be nonesense.

I haven't bought a new washing machine either.

Steve W

18. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    But "to give us an idea if Toshibas strategy is really working," is meaningless without a "No, I still decided against it option," surely?

19. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    Hi mate :)
    The OP has clearly stated in his POLL title "If you bought a HD DVD player, what type of buyer are you" i don't thinhk we have to clog up this thread on a debate about what the poll options should have been.
    Cheers. :smashin:

20. systems

systems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I didn't buy my HD player in the very recent price cuts, but I deliberately held out until the "free films" offer in November and wouldn't have bothered without that sweetener.

I continued to buy HD-DVDs until the January news from the studios and then stopped dead. I won't be buying any more unless they're dirt cheap. The missis can't tell the difference anyway and upscaled DVDs are sufficient for pretty much everyone.

Out of my entire collection of friends, family and close work colleagues (probably 100 people I imagine) only I have any HD player at all. About 10 have an HDTV and are blissfully happy with DVD upscaling (and some of those think they "have HD" just by having the telly). Only 4 have any surround sound at all. The rest are all on SD TVs watching Sky-SD with TV speakers.

21. gorge

gorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would go along with 'systems' here. I got my EP35 yesterday :thumbsup::thumbsup: and love it - depsite the long waits for everything - and I bought it because I needed a new DVD player anyway. At 190quid it was a no brainer, especially with 7 HDDVDs. Coincidently, that 190 quid is less than I spent on a Chord analog interconnect to link my CD and amp a couple of years ago! :eek: That, perhaps, puts things into perspective a little bit. But this was before I got married. I doubt I would get away with spending £4.5k on a 2 channel system, indeed any system, today :(. There are now too many other priorities. However, even the 2 channel output from the EP35 is stunning. My system has plenty of grunt as it is. HD makes a big difference to me. But as 'system' found, my wife barely cares. She can tell the difference, which is easy on a 42" screen, but would quite happyly settle for SD. I will now have to explain why I need to buy an AVR to add a centre and later 2 rear speakers. Women care about the content as much as I do about the quality of delivery. I marvel at great sound and image, even if it is a fairly dumb movie (eg: 300) :cool:

22. doylie1984

doylie1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    was going to get the xbox drive this week anyway but then luckly i found out about play's offer on the ep30 for £120 so i went for that instead.

23. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I bought a XE1 even though i already had a A2, with the 5 free HD-DVD's and the XE1's upscaling capabilities, the decision to buy was very easy.

24. lhassall

lhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Need another poll: "If you bought since the price drop, how many discs have you bought?"

I've ordered 3 so far (2 from Warner :devil: in case they go out of print) and currently researching what to "Blu-Ray exclusives" to import from Europe:

http://areahd.dvdtiefpreise.com/?cat=3

25. Welsh Thunderca

Welsh Thunderca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ve just received my new Toshiba HD-EP30 from Play. It cost £ 120. Which in my opinion is well worth it. I am waiting for the other 5 discs to add to my collection of 20. The dvd play back is very good. I would say I almost paid £189 the other week for the same player. :thumbsup:

26. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Another Xbox 360 upgrader here !! That fan noise was bearable at first but it's been getting louder and louder (in my head of course) all the time.

OK the bottom has fallen out the 2nd hand market a little but I should still get a decent amount on fleaby. Another set of free discs will soften the blow but an EP30 for £119 from Amazon is on it way as I type :thumbsup:

27. caleini

caleini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just returned my EP30 to Tesco for a full refund (Less to two free discs oops forgot) which I bought at £199.99 two weeks ago.

Now have re-ordered an EP35 from Amazon at £189.99 :thumbsup: because with Amazon if the price goes down again one can claim the difference back again :)

So in essence I now have the better model and saved a tenner in the process :clap: RESULT yay go me :)

28. SATM

SATM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I have just bought an HD-E1 for £99 inclusive of a 2 year parts and labour guarantee.
    It also qualifies for the 5 free films.

29. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +628
    I bought an EP35 earlier (was toying with an XE1 but need to put funds towards a new TV) and have also convinced 4 others to buy an HD DVD player, though to be honest it didn't take much convincing when they saw the price and the free discs!

30. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Upgrading my XBox add-on, and four other people from work went and bought £114 EP30s from Asda today.

Looks like I'll be lending out some of my discs :rolleyes::D