1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many PCI slots ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Turl, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Turl

Turl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help!......

I'm about to build my first dedicated HTPC and I'm planning on using a Shuttle SB51G as the barebone system. the dillema is that the Shuttle only has one (count it, one) PCI slot :(

The shuttle has firewire, USB, SPDIF in and out and ethernet onboard so if I add a Radeon 9700 to the AGP slot plus a DVD-ROM (obviously proc and memory) I should have the basis for my HTPC. However my question is.....will I need the PCI slot for a soundcard (Audigy 2) or video capture device if I want to improve the sound quality and/or add vid capture capability to the machine in the future?

How many slots have you used excluding USB/SCSI cards, etc?.

Cheers,

Turl

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Turl.

I have a Shuttle SS51G, and I love it. I have a Geforce 4 and a TV capture card in mine. I think that the sound quality from the onboard is good, and should be OK to output a digital signal to an external amp. (I dont have a DVD so can't be 100% on that) It has some nice features like controlable fan speed, and looks the dogs. It is the best PC I have ever worked on, it is asthough someone has actualy thought when designing it. The heat pipe technology works great too, I have P4 1.8 Ghz overclocked to 2.24 Ghz and have zero heat build up. The onboard Firewire and USB 2 are great and I use them both regularly with my digital video camera.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

Rob

3. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I dont think you can use a 9700 on the shuttle as the graphics

card needs a lot of power, you need to plug it into the power

supply and 200w is not enough. I dont think the system will boot up.

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think you'll find many people are using 9700pro without any problems. Take a look at Sudhian for more information...

Incidentally, I'm considering the exact same setup (well, maybe the SN41 Athlon box instead... haven't actually decided). Might be worth thinking about the ATI AIW Radeon VE since this does TV capture and has decent DVD playback + svideo output. Think its too new to buy anywhere in the UK at the moment though :(