How many of you shoot in RAW?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by imichael, Mar 8, 2005.

1. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new to this part of the forums, and it is good to find a photography forum that isn't focussed ( :eek: bugger a pun on the first 20 words) on 'my camera's better than yours' like dpreview.

I currently have two cameras, a Fuji F810 and a Sigma SD9. I was addicted to the Sigma as, despite the SD9's limitations, it was a huge jump in performance and flexibility compared to my old Fuji 6800Z. Enough waffle, with the Sigma everything is in RAW so white balance, exposure etc can be adjusted to rescue shots or crop and use a specific section (getting rid of blown highlights and bring up dark areas).

With the the F810 I've left it on wife friendly jpeg mode and find I take more pictures, get better candids, but lose the editing that RAW gives - but get much better use of memory so can rattle off shots with bracketing if need be.

Does anyone here use RAW on Canon/Fuji etc DSLRs', is RAW ever used on compacts, or is the Ken Rockwell priniciple of blast away in jpeg and rely on proper set up the way forward?

cheers

Ian

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 20D and i have yet to really use RAW that much, mainly because buying it dinted my savings and i've still got the 128mb card from my canon S1. Once i get a couple of decent cards (very soon) i'm get to grips with it

Only compact i know off hand that uses raw is the canon s60/70

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch - 128Mb on a 20D must be frustrating? Or does it help you think more about when and what to shoot?

4. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you know you can get 512Mb CF cards for under £30 now from danelec, they might not be the fastest cards but should give a bit more time playing when you are out and about.

5. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i shoot raw on my 20D because as mentioned it allows me to tweak images etc.

my only problem at the moment is that im yet to upgrade from photoshop 7 to photoshop8/CS (which will read .cr2 with a plugin) so its a right rigmarole trying to get images sorted

6. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have used raw with my D70, but the software supplied by nikon for converting the raw images is very poor, and takes months to process on my old and dated pc.

having said that, I did use tiff images from my fuji finepix s602z, and they were nuch better than the finest quality jpeg.

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I shoot in raw most of the time - coupled with photoshop CS it give a bit more 'tweakability' to my images. My raw files do require more work to get them up to standard though - as my D30 gives quite dull, uninspiring raw files straight from the camera - but once run through a few actions and tweaked then they are noticably better than the jpegs.

8. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I only shoot RAW...and now do a lot of post processing in RAW that i once did in PS.

9. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    yeh i found that, the only thing i use photoshop for now is to apply an unsharp mask and to crop if required, ocasionally i use it to **** with an image beyond all beliefs

10. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the Sigma you only have RAW, but the supplied SPP software has got to be the best bundled editing software supplied with any camera. I tend to do all my photo tweaking in SPP and then save to Jpeg or TIFF for final cropping and printing from photoshop. I have PS8 and although this reads the Sigma RAW files, I very rarely use it.

I haven't tried the Fuji in RAW mode other than a quick play with the first one we had which was faulty. It is a great little camera BTW if anyone is looking in the £300 region for a compact, I'd highly recommend it.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

looks cool but i dont have $25!

im still after getting CS so i can combine it all together so i dont have to keep swapping files,

13. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Similar here... in fact i've gotten so lazy that for most of my stuff i don't mind using sharpening in RAW! I do use PS to sharpen the odd nice shot i get. Tweaking the shadows i also find is a lot easier in the corrected gamma of PS.

It's my first winter using digital and i've been processing lots of images out of RAW twice... over and underexposing then recombining in PS to artificially increase dynamic range.

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just jpeg for me..................does the job...well so far anyway.. :smashin:

I guess when someone wants to buy one of my aircraft pics for buckets of money for a glossy mag I'm gonna be in bother.. :D :D :D

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,078
    I only use RAW on my D70. The main reason is that I am 'anal' about keeping the original...I can't stand the Nikon supplied software, so my workflow is...

1. Shoot pictures
    2. Import into Photoshop Elements
    3. Create CD from imported pictures - for digital negative storage
    4. Use elements to my hards content in the knowledge that I have got my negatives

At least with RAW I have my full negative, just like with film...No such luck with JPG...And besides NEF RAW is integrated in Windows XP browser...