1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Movies Can Be Put On One DVD?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Suave, May 29, 2005.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to know how much information one dvd disc can hold or how many movies without sacrificing picture or sound quality? The reason I ask is that I want to start my own collection of Bollywood movies and they are on average between 2.5 to 3.0 hours long! Now, I have seen on ebay and other places, folks who are selling DVD's with 2 and even 3 bollywood movies while still claiming that they are full length with excellent picture and sound. Is this possible - or is something being compromised along the way? For example, will the picture be just as good and will the sound still be in Dolby Digital or DTS? How does this work that they can get between 5.5 to 9 hours of movie material on one dvd disc? Also, can someone please tell me what VCD and DIVX are and how they differ from DVD?

Thank you all!

Suave!

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    i;m sure there are many on here who can answer this better than me, But i think the short answer would be ONE film of acceptable quality.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,434
    I believe it is possible to get 6 DIVX quality films on one DVD-R. Quite how you would turn a DVD into a DIVX is beyond me though!!!

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There are programs that can compress a movie down to as little as 128mb but obviously the quality is gonna be crud.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Its all about compression. Mpeg 4 can allow for good quality with twice the compression of Mpeg 2.

Still, I'm no fan of compresion. The more you compress the more you loose in terms of quality. Same as MP3.

I preffer using a bigger format like Blu Ray and adding quality to the movie instead of taking it away.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,551
    1 DVD = 4 layers, and each layer is around 4.7gb. So you're looking at around 240 mins on a disk, depending on the soundtrack options.

Anything more than this, and compression is going to ruin the picture and sound quality.

7. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I think this says it all, the picture quality and sound will be absolute s**t as they will be pirate copies filmes from local cinemas, converted to DIVX format and then crammed onto a CD (not a DVD) to play as a VCD disc.

I wouldn't bother. Go to your local Bollywood supplyer and buy a video instead, the quality will be better. :rolleyes:

8. Muz

Muz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The majority of 2-in-1, 3-in1 and even 5-in-1 :eek: Bollywood discs are illegal rip-offs from a variety of different sources. I have seen these on sale in loads of different shops for about £2.50 to £3.00 for 2 or 3 movies. None of these are very good quality and often the pirate manufacturer puts their logo directly in the centre of the screen making the viewing experience worse. I would recommend steering clear of these ... unless you can't get hold of the original versions of the movies (sometimes finding originals isn't very easy!)

Also - these discs are generally subject to disc rot which will mean that they will probably play for a couple of months before falling apart.

Hope that this helps.