How many mins on a 4.7GB DVD-R disc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawklord, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Sorry for such a basic question but can someone enlighten me. If I want to back up any of my dvd's what is the longest a film can run to fit on one disc.

When will dual layer blank dvd discs be available and what will be the likely cost?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    The question of how much video you can record onto a DVD-R (or any optical media for that matter) is determined by:
    - the disk capacity
    - the bitrate
    - the resolution
    The fact that 4.7GB disks have acquired a '120 minutes' tag is a source of great annoyance to me! No such tag should be put on disks IMHO because it is rubbish!

If you are recording on a set-top DVD recorder then you will have various Recording Modes, e.g. XP for 1hr per disk, SP for 2hrs per disk, LP for 4hrs per disk etc etc. If your recording on a PC it entirely depends on how you encode your video.

Have a look here for a very basic description:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_playtimes.htm
    ...do note that the '133 minutes' is rubbish as well now - commercial MPEG2 encoders are much better than that these days.

A number of companies have started 'mass' production already so they will start filtering into the UK quite soon now. Initial prices are likely to be around £10 per piece (yes, ten times the price of single layer disks!). There won't be a sudden drop either as, due to the complexities of making DVD+R DL, no cheap Chinese producers are making any. But I think we can probably expect the price to slide to closer to £6 per disk by September.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The reason I ask is that on using dvdshrink I managed to make a back up of twilight samurai which is over 130mins which is longer than the 2hrs (120 mins) I was led to believe wasn't possible. The quality of the copy is also comparable to the original so I don't think it's been compressed to fit on the disc but I could be wrong as I'm a complete noob with recordable media:(

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    It is perfectly possible - as your own recording proved ;) You can fit much more than 130mins on a DVD-R before you run into any problems!

5. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only 4.36gb of media data can be written to a 4.7gb dvd-/+ disc.upto 2hrs of sp quality on same disc and best (hq) 1hr using stand alone dvd recorders like panasonic/liteon5001/05

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    The resolution drop is really the marker for the maximum amount of high quality footage you can get on one disk. As this happens at different times with different recorders then applying a time specification is wrong IMHO. For example the LG recorder can record upto 4hrs in high resolution.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    What is SP quality?

please excuse my ignorance :blush:

I've not had any problems fitting any dvd's on a 4.7 GB disc as yet with the longest film so far being 170mins :clap:

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The main problem I've found is that my friends toshiba player appears to have a limit of approx 2hrs on the TV programs I loan him. I've found no problems playing longer ones back on my Arcam DVD player.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    The term used by some DVD recorders to describe the TWO HOUR mode.