How many miles for £20?

...There is just too many variables involved to use it as a comparative measure. Other than a bit of fun I would not deduct any meaning from it.
It's useful in that, once you've used your obligatory miles, you can budget what's left for recreational journeys.
Or know whether you can afford to drive the kids to school or make them walk ;)

With a few conversions of exchange rates and distances and fuel being a fair bit cheaper here - 177 miles. Skoda Superb Estate 2.0L 162kW around town. On a motorway that would rise to about 220-230 miles.

edit - adjusting to your fuel prices I suspect my numbers would be a touch more than half so around 100 miles and 140 :)

Last edited:
Drove 75 miles to my parents this morning. Range when we left: 505 miles. Range when we got there: 510 miles. :D

The fuel consumption at a steady, sensible, cruising speed is truly amazing :thumbsup:

285-350 miles using Electric Mini Hybrid charging at home

To be honest, I've never worried about my fuel consumption and my 22/23 miles to the gallon.
I've a reasonably sized comfortable "soft roader" which can easily accomodate my electric trolley, golf clubs and sports bag in the boot and I'm only doing about four to five thousand miles a year at most and I can afford it.

I get about 60mpg in my 2010 Audi A3 1.9 TDi. Best car I’ve ever had. A full tank currently costs about £70, and I’ll get 700 to 800 miles from it, so 200 miles for £20.

It’s done 160000 miles, 100000 of which I put on it. On its last MOT it went through with no advisories.

I used to keep a spreadsheet that calculated the mpg and then price per mile based on the amount I was paying per full tank, and I wouldn’t brim it on each filling to give a true MPG figure.

I did consider getting an A4 but this car has been an absolute dream and costs so little to keep I just can’t justify getting another car, even if it means driving around in an admittedly basic model. I do 20k miles a year.

I treat MPG like a constant target wheee I’m always trying to beat my personal best. I don’t drive that slowly either. My best friend is the cruise control, I use it 90% of the time even during urban driving, I find it as easy to use as the accelerator and it helps with fuel efficiency.

I noticed MPG decreased by about 8 to 10 mpg when I brought new tyres which weren’t low resistance. Will be getting low resistance next time. The last set of Dunlops lasted for 60k miles on the front.

Depends on if its town driving or motorway driving. Around town 20quid would get around 120 miles, where as on the motorway that would be closer to 170 miles.

The car is a Renault Clio mk3 1.4

Current fuel price £1.209 for diesel at Asda so £20 gets me 3.64 gallons. Car (2019 1.5 TDCi Focus) is averaging 63MPG daily use, 72MPG on a run so anywhere between roughly 230 and 260 miles.

I get around 65 miles from £20 in my 90 year old pick up ;)
She doesn’t go over 65 mph though...

630 mile round trip, on tank of fuel 46Ltrs. Skoda Yeti 2lt Diesel
Got to, Blackpool & home with 20 miles left of fuel. (according to dash computer)

Assuming diesel costs £1.28 a litre, 46 litres costs £58.88 :D. So £20 got you about 210 miles.

100-150 miles depending on type of driving

Jaguar XF Porfolio.

It’s Petrol and locally it is £1.55 a litre 😬

630 mile round trip, on tank of fuel 46Ltrs. Skoda Yeti 2lt Diesel
Got to, Blackpool & home with 20 miles left of fuel. (according to dash computer)

I beg to differ... :D

Or are you distracted by how much it will cost to drive your new car home? :laugh:

Toyota Prius. short trips, 160 miles per £20 in Winter, 230 miles per £20 in Summer and on long trips in Winter, 250 miles on long trips in Summer.

Assuming diesel costs £1.28 a litre, 46 litres costs £58.88 :D. So £20 got you about 210 miles.
£1.257 fuel cost was £58.
46.14Ltrs.

Diesel now @ £.120 per Ltr. (Morrison's).

I'll leave it to you to work out............................

Last edited:
SO... HOW... MANY... MILES... DID... £20... GET... YOU...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

round town driving in the wifes BMW 220d get about 120 mile to 20 quid, the 2.2d civic would manage around 130 miles doing the same journeys and the 2.0d x type jag does about 120 miles too
on a run the civic and BMW would manage around 170 miles to 20 quid
no idea what the x type will be doing not been any distance in it yet but the average MPG readout manages 50 to the gallon taking it easy over a reasonable distance

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom