How many miles for £20?

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
So I have always compared my fuel consumption in my current car, at any given point, to my other cars/friends and family members cars etc by looking at how many miles I would get out of £20! (Don’t know why, but always have)

currently I have an old Mitsubishi Lancer estate and it’s become slightly thirstier recently and on a good day I am getting about 80-90 miles out of £20 (no idea what mpg that is!)

I know it’s not an exact science as fuel prices change and vary etc, but in my old Civic Type R I would get 100 or so miles from £20 (when prices weren’t that dissimilar to now).

So, little game - how many miles do you get to £20 in your current car? (Would be helpful to know what your current car is too!)

This might also provide some food for thought as to what I go for with my next car!

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Using the RAC's average fuel price I'd get 170 miles from my 1.2 TSI Polo.

But I do find your benchmark odd. Presumably you only ever put £20 (or multiples) of fuel in your car? Even odder is that your friends & family all do the same!

Last edited:

nvingo

I generally fill up with <50 miles remaining, so about £65 goes around 290 miles.
So about 90 miles per £20
Almost twenty year old Cougar V6 with under 54k miles.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Usually about 100 miles in my A4 3.0 TDI V6, about 130/140 in our Focus 2.0 petrol.

Both cars are always filled to first click on the pump.

IronGiant

200 miles from a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi VRS Estate :D

rousetafarian

100 roughly but if I hoof it, much fewer

Foster

Distinguished Member
200 miles usually suzuki swift 1.2

90 out of my Honda CRV, but then I do mostly short local journeys, so about 22 mpg. I'll get around 27mpg on a run.

I actually put my milage and petrol spend along with every other sort of expenditure on rolling Excel spreadsheets. (It's just something to do)

So for what its worth. Last year I got 4.49 miles for ever pound spent on petrol.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Using the RAC's average fuel price I'd get 170 miles from my 1.2 TSI Polo.

But I do find your benchmark odd. Presumably you only ever put £20 (or multiples) of fuel in your car? Even odder is that your friends & family all do the same!
no not always - what ever I put in I just convert it in my head “£30/40/50 in the tank - that should give me about 130/180/220 miles” etc

mjn

Distinguished Member
I’ve no idea......but if somebody wants to crunch the numbers......feel free.

mjn

Distinguished Member

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
New car 29 November '19.
Up to Saturday morning, when it was last full: 2334 miles for a total unavoidable* fuelling cost of £40.27. Represents 1159 miles per £20.

Previous car over two years
Up to point of trade-in - 18657 miles for a total unavoidable* fuelling cost of £364.68. Represents 1023 miles per £20.

Both cars are Hyundai Ioniq Electric.

===========
* including actual direct costs plus domestic power and including parking charges etc., where unavoidable to access a chargepoint.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
New car 29 November '19.
Up to Saturday morning, when it was last full: 2334 miles for a total unavoidable* fuelling cost of £40.27. Represents 1159 miles per £20.

Previous car over two years
Up to point of trade-in - 18657 miles for a total unavoidable* fuelling cost of £364.68. Represents 1023 miles per £20.

Both cars are Hyundai Ioniq Electric.

===========
* including actual direct costs plus domestic power and including parking charges etc., where unavoidable to access a chargepoint.
Does this include charging at home?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Does this include charging at home?
Yes. (I did include it in the * footnote). A mobile app tells me how many kWh the home charger uses per session and I know my tariff.

As an aside - I also include in my figures the following disproportionate cost:
When we visit the mother-in-law we "rent" a garage from a third party for £5 per night, and we use their 13a power. It's a flat rate and no attempt is made to measure actual power use. Up to press that has been 6 nights (£30) of the £40.27 total cost. We don't in fact use anything like £5-worth of power per night on most occasions; it could be argued that part of this cost is for the use of the garage itself or the convenience of overnight charging rather than separate stops; it could be argued that, if we didn't prefer to have a power outlet for overnight convenience (i.e. if we chose to charge at a nearby rapid instead, at less cost) we could park for nothing. I can't readily estimate what we'd pay for remote charging on these visits, so it's simply easier to write the full £5/night off to "fuel" costs, which is what I do.

Last edited:
I have no idea. £20 worth of RON98+ varies so much in prices. I guess it’s about 13 liters. And at the moment I’m doing about 17mpg. So that is about 47 miles I guess.

There is just too many variables involved to use it as a comparative measure. Other than a bit of fun I would not deduct any meaning from it.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I have no idea. £20 worth of RON98+ varies so much in prices. I guess it’s about 13 liters. And at the moment I’m doing about 17mpg. So that is about 47 miles I guess.

There is just too many variables involved to use it as a comparative measure. Other than a bit of fun I would not deduct any meaning from it.
What car are those figures for?

£20 = 200 miles in our Polo Beats, or about 170 miles in my Volvo V60.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
£20 is about 3.5 Gallons so circa 120 Miles. + or - 20 if on a steady run or bad traffic.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
23MPG at the moment in my Stinger, so £20 gets me about 100 miles, maybe slightly less.