1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many LV halogens do I need?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by brains, Feb 15, 2005.

1. brains

brains

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having an extension built...
    En suite bathroom (bath, shower, 2 handbasins, toilet) 3.2 X 2.3 m. How many 12V halogen downlighters should I have? And what wattage? (Plan to have them on a dimmer).

Is there a general rule for how many LV halogens are needed? There will be new ceilings in our hall, kitchen, utility room and bedroom and we plan halogens in all these but don't know how many.

Does anyone know a good web site for such advice?

2. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Simply decide where you would like the light and then layout accordingly note that you have the option of 20w,35w and 50w bulbs and also with different angles of beam, but be sure to try not to create a shadow area.
    Normally 1-2 over the bath depends on wattage, either one each over the basins or one between the two, one over the shower and then follow from there but please beware that these will have to be sealed units due to condensation, hope this helps.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also check dimming systems ratings first should use 2-3 circuits for mood lighting for romantic evenings in the bath...... and make sure the mirror are well illuminated for applying make up. but do not reflect light driectly from the halogens

4. brains

brains

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. A bathroom design company had nine downlighters and said it was to avoid shadows - perhaps they are right.