How many lap tops can i put xp on

Status
Not open for further replies.

den9112

H, I have a full retail version of windows xp which i have on the home pc , i have since instaled the same disc on my daughters lap top which registered fine, i have vista on my lap tap top and want to go back to xp so i would like to install the same disc on my lap could i do that . Any help would be apreciated .Thanks

Last edited:

[email protected]

Strictly speaking you can't, as you're already in contravention of the licence. Practically speaking you could try, but when you put in the code to validate online it will probably fail. Then you would have to ring up the MS 00800 number and try to blag your way to getting the other install activated but it's a lot of trouble to go to (well, installing XP and then validating it is) when chances are you might fail again and be left with an unusable installation, and unless you have Vista media or do a dual-boot installation, have no way back to Vista.

So the answer is yes, you could try, but you might not get away with it, and will end up stuffed, with no-one to blame but yourself.

There's not that much wrong with Vista anyhow, especially now it's been properly patched etc, thought it does need more computing power than XP. You ought to consider going for Windows 7, which works well on laptops, and can still be had for a good price if you look around, AFAIK.

den9112

Thanks for the reply, however i am still a little confused as when i put xp on the home pc via a clean hard drive i activated over the phone, when i put the same copy on my daughters home laptop i actvated online and got a reply saying registering went ok . Do i need to buy full retail versions for each home pc i use .

[email protected]

Well, yes, it's one OS per machine. XP was the first to have that online registration/codenumber/phoneline system, and a lot of people grumbled that linking it to one machine meant that if and when the machine died your licence died with it. However I transferred the old licence quite a few times from one machine to the next when older ones died (though I had to phone up and ask).

[Mod Comment - Theydon Bois] Comments removed. Your interpratation of MS copyright rules are not theirs I suspect.

But really, you ought to give W7 a go. It's a reasonable price and it's less prone to viruses, hackers etc than XP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
An OS is strictly one per PC. If you have a boxed copy, then you are entitled to reinstall it on another machine should the original die. If you have an OEM version of an OS, then it lives and dies with that PC and is not transferable.

You are not entitled to install the OS on more than one machine, and you could have repercutions later - validation issues as it possible detects the same external IPs for instance.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom