How many hours of VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by zack33, Jan 5, 2007.

1. zack33

zack33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tools Used

M50 Precision Laptop
    Videowave (2000 ed) to capture Raw footage to HD
    Panasonic nv-gs200eb 3CCD
    VHS VCR
    NERO 7 Ultra

1) How many hours of VHS footage can i put onto DVD...is it the same as DVI (2 hrs)

2) I'm capturing RAW footage of VHS...1 hours worth takes up 14gb..(videoWave)...is this right

3) I'm capturing at the sames resoultion as DVI Pal...720 x 576...is this right

4) I have NERO 7 Ultra...will this give me better options to capture raw VHS and Encode to DVD than VideoWave

5) whats the best setting for resoultion and quality for VHS to DVD using NERO 7 Ultra

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I put vhs straight to dvd recorder = either 1hour max quality or 2hours standard play I may be wrong but vhs quality is vhs quality and I would doubt if you can improve much the way you are trying. You do mean Vhs and not DVtape?

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    1) How many hours of VHS footage can i put onto DVD...is it the same as DVI (2 hrs)

It's the same with any source material.... with a single layer DVD, 1 hour at best quality, 2 hours at "standard" quality... 6 hours or more if you drop the quality settings enough (but quality will get worse and worse).

2) I'm capturing RAW footage of VHS...1 hours worth takes up 14gb..(videoWave)...is this right

You are capturing DV-AVI. Your camcorder is converting the analogue signal to DV-AVI. And that is 13 GB or so an hour (depends on how you define a GB).

3) I'm capturing at the sames resoultion as DVI Pal...720 x 576...is this right

Yes

4) I have NERO 7 Ultra...will this give me better options to capture raw VHS and Encode to DVD than VideoWave

5) whats the best setting for resoultion and quality for VHS to DVD using NERO 7 Ultra

I don't use Nero so can't say... I did use VideoWave years ago, I thought it was pretty bad... as jaymac said VHS quality isn't great to start with. I suggest 2 hours per DVD. Using a higher quality setting won't make much/any difference due to the quality of the source. If you try and fit much more than that you can make the quality worse than the original. (You can't improve the original).

You can't capture "raw VHS" - VHS is analogue, it needs to be converted to some digital format. Using your camcorder and converting it to DV is a good way to go.

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Unless you want to edit, I would bypass using the PC and record from VHS to DVD using a settop DVD recorder.

Recorded at "Standard Quality" , you can get 2 hrs worth onto a disc: satisfactory for VHS material: even 3 hrs is probably acceptable.

The settop recorders generally use a variable encoding bitrate, In determining quality, they vary the min-max values to maximise disc space without PQ suffering too much and they all have "flexible " recording modes.

Even with DV you can put more than 2 hrs on a DVD but quality suffers as the output begins to look more different to the source original. With VHS this is less likely

Even if you want to edit, you can still edit footage from the DVD made by
    settop by importing it to the PC: If you just want to do some simple trimming and make a fancy menu Movie Factory is worth trying;
    I sometimes record to DVD settop recorder from an HDV camcorder( outputing SD thru firewire).
    I then import the DVD video footage so recorded to PC ( simply by popping the DVD into the PC and copying) to re author.
    This way I bypass the digitising ( if analogue), capturing and encoding on PC ( saving time and disc space) with little or no PQ penalty.
    I do have 1 or 2 hardware PC capture boxes ( for analogue sources) but find them OTT if no editing is anticipated

Regarding software. Im not sure Videowave is the way to go and certainly not the 2000 ed:Nero 7 may or may not be better it isnt likely to be worse

As hinted above there are very good quality hardware analogue to digital external boxes which can convert VHS to mpeg2 on the fly if you must use the PC.

5. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

What about using one of the combined VHS/DVD players? Apparently you can record from one to the other but I'm not sure what happens about the format change from VHS to, say, MPEG2 (is this automatic or do you have to do arrange for this yourself through some sort of in-built menu?) or what it does about the length of the recording (do you have to stop a tape after, say, 2 hours and put in another disc before restarting or does compression take place automatically?).

Has anyones any experience with this system?

Happy New Year to all.

Richard Jones

6. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If you choose Standard play you can transfer 2 hours of tape to dvd there is nothing you need to do except finalize the disc when it is finished it will then play on most players or the pc. You have to start and stop manually the recording is done in real time.I'm talking about a seperate vcr and dvd recorder would not think there would be any difference with a combi other than poorer quality than most stand alones

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    In some recorders it is called standard quality recording mode

Combined recorders are convenient esp if you don't already have a VCR or its on its last legs: While it is likely that PQ and control will not be as good as separates, there is a space saving and no need for any wiring. If you have a VHS collection it may offer a compromise between PQ and convenience.

If you did want to do a bit of editing and "chaptering " for DVD, a settop recorder with HDD may be handy for trimming before making the DVD all away from a PC:)