1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many gens. of CRT RPTV do you think are left?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nathan_silly, Sep 16, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba have released the new line which (at least) support Progressive NTSC via Component and possibly de-interlace internally.

However due to the size of UK living rooms large 50"+ RP's can be physically too big. I'm wondering how many years/gens will CRT (and LCD) Rear Projection sets be around?

If/when HDTV comes along do you think RP's will still be around? or will Plasma :thumbsdow :laugh: or LCD screens replace RP's?

2. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody well hope not, Ive yet to discover the joys of tosh's 42wh36p which should be around January and this one will have to last me for a while unless I cash my lotto ticket in:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, RP's will be around for a long time to come, trust me.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that a good indicator of the future of rear projection sets is how commited the major manufacturers are to them in the US market.

When there's a noticeable decline in the range and quality of RP sets over there, I think you can safely say that the writing's on the wall.

Toshiba have just announced their new range of RP tv's for the US, and it consists of:-

Five new sets in their TheaterWide range (available in sizes of 42, 46, 51, 57 and 65 inches).

Four new sets in the Cinema Series (in sizes of 46, 51, 57 and 65 inches).

Best of all, they've announced two new LCoS rear projection sets (in 57 and 65 inches).

Judging by Toshiba's faith in rear projection, then I think it's safe to say that they will be around for a few years yet. It also hammers it home what a poor relation the UK is to the States when it comes to a/v equipment.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely so,fatbob.....I think that no matter what the pundits say about RPTV Vs Plasma,it will be here for a while yet,and as always,the USA will lead the market(not surprising,given the size of that market though),and the Americans do love their RPTV's.