How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

PoochJD said:
Hi,

I tried importing a pack of ten Region 3, 100w lightbulbs, but the :censored: gits at HM Customs And Excise decided they were obscene, and have decided to impound them! :rotfl:

Anyone know how I can avoid this happening in the future?! :clap:

Pooch

You'll just have to get your supplier to send them individually so that they fall under the lower limit for customs siezures. I believe 40 watters are ok as nobody can see a damn thing with them on anyway and are therefore not classified as obscene.

Hi!
some newbie advice needed here, I have been reading the forums for a while and now I am confused as to which light bulb is best. So can some one tell me which light bulb is best for me. In order of importance I am after:

1) Light
2) Clarity
3) Switching (for future use)

I am not prepared to scrimp on quality.

Cheers!!!

PS my budget is 2 pence.

shadowritten said:
I'm telling you, candles are the way forward. Or oil lamps.

Is that because of their extra "warmth"??? :D

lights overrated...whatever happened to working/fumbling your way around in the dark...

I currently use only 2 light bulbs, which are great for day to day use, but I feel I am missing out.

I wish to move up to a 5.1 set up, with a centre bulb, 2 larger bulbs either side, and 2 smaller bulbs behind me. I will use a halogen bulb in a standing lamp to reinforce the light (this will be non-directional and can go anywhere).

My question is can I use pearl bulbs for the surrounds and clear for the front 3 or should I stick to 1 type?

i prefer using a fully digital path to my light bulbs, upscaling the mains current to HD resolutions. this requires heavier cables and sometimes optical cable for long distances, but its worth it in the end. the result is a much whiter light, far less distortion and perfect geometry. i quite often get hit with the rainbow effect though.

I happen to be using DTS light bulbs over here. Much better as far less compression from the light resulting in a lighter light....:)

I cannot understand why every light bulb does not have a DTS option.....!!!

Cap.

Captain Benefit said:
I happen to be using DTS light bulbs over here. Much better as far less compression from the light resulting in a lighter light....:)

Cap.
Do you not just find that the DTS light has just been boosted in the low frequency (red) region and made a bit brighter overall? I think it's really down to the quality of the original noble gas inside rather than the badge on the front. :)

Captain Benefit said:

Cap.

when you turn the light off andv it swirles back into the blub does it go clockwise or counter clockwise? :D

I bought a blub the other dayn that has a SDDS option - first time i've seen it outside of cinema lighting.

Gary

I have just imported some progressive scan light bulbs from china and i must say they are a lot better than the alis ones found in most homes at the moment.

One of the threads in the mod's forum is the "Lazarus Award" thread given to people who raise old and obscure threads from the dead.

Are you making a bid for the award :rotfl:

My current set-up: I decided to use this retro pair from Kef - note, the lack of cables.....yep - they work wirelessly, there is a transmitter in the underside of the shade which receives the signal from the switch. I've not looked back since buying these from the classifieds a few months back now :thumbsup:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

I am using candles currently but am thinking of upgrading to lightbulbs.

Should I buy a setup now or wait for the new range of Panasonic bulbs, available in about 4-5months. Will the improvments be worth the wait?

One of the threads in the mod's forum is the "Lazarus Award" thread given to people who raise old and obscure threads from the dead.

Are you making a bid for the award :rotfl:
I can try harder if you like. :D

Should I buy a setup now or wait for the new range of Panasonic bulbs, available in about 4-5months. Will the improvments be worth the wait?
The contrast ratio and colour balance with the current generation of lightbulbs is very good indeed. I suppose we really need to wait and see if DeepColour is worth the wait in terms of colour reproduction. :)

Yes,I wish I had waited...I bought the HDbulbs awhile back...now i'm worried I may have wasted my money...saying that,I do think it is a good idea to upgrade,don't get me wrong,I think candles were great...but ,I guess all technology has it's day......

Wish you all the best in your decision....:thumbsup:

Thanks. Do you know who John Lewis will pricematch with?

Hi,

I've just gone and bought a job-lot of BluRay Bulbs, (after flogging my old Toshiba HD-Bulbs on e-Bay to this lovely Nigerian fellow. :D ) But I can't seem to find the HDMI connection on these new bulbs. Can anyone tell me where it's hidden please? :confused:

Thanks,

Pooch

How many Country n Western singers does it take to change a light bulb ?

Ten, One to change the bulb, and nine to sing about what a good ole bulb it was..

E'll get me coat....

Q. How many MMGW proponents does it take to change a light bulb?

A. With CFL's it's not the quantity that matters: it's that you just need to do it less frequently.

I'm not sure why people are still buying bulbs, downloading is going to be the future.

I've noticed that my bulbs do differ in brightness, compared to neighbours slightly nearer the end of the road. Do you think that this is because the light bulb exchange, is nearer to them, than me?!

Pooch

I've yet to find a bulb that produces really deep and convincing blacks, does such an item exist?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom