Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

how many fans

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jelly, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    as the title says how many fans should a decent pc tower have , just for moving cool air around i have a mercedes tower with two fans on the sidepanel which i can remove as there quite noisy also is there such a thing as a silent fan

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well none really but only if the temp stays cool enough. If you want to add just one then I'd make it pull air into the box as your PSU extracts air with it's fan. If you go for two then obviously pull/push. Link below for some whisper fans.

http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?section=products&idd=4

:smashin:

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    I find you get better cooling with the two fans working in parallel in a pull configuration next to the PSU..

This way, by working in tandem with the PSU you're creating a big negative pressure at the rear of the case, which removes the hot air more effieciently..

PC cases aren't airtight, and are usually vented anyway, so drawing cool air in at the front isn't really neccesary IMO, also noisier as the fan is closer to you..

For 80mm fans, the Vantec case fans are the quitest I've tried so far.. bit more expensive at £8-9 but worth it..