How many external storage devices can I use

the_Geezer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Xbox series x finally
I have a external 8tb and a external nvme all with games on

now what I’m asking is when I end up getting the 1tb seagate external expansion can I use them all together
Series x internal storage
Seagate series x/s external storage
8tb usb HDD
1tb Nvme USB

I use an expansion card with a 2tb external USB just fine. I would assume plugging another in wouldn't be a problem 🤔

I use an expansion card with a 2tb external USB just fine. I would assume plugging another in wouldn't be a problem 🤔
I’m sure on the previous model you can only have two external drives plugged in at once the 3 would only be used for media
Is it possible you could try and add a 3rd

I’m sure on the previous model you can only have two external drives plugged in at once the 3 would only be used for media
Is it possible you could try and add a 3rd
I think I possibly have another external drive somewhere, leave it with me 👍

you can - I have the expansion card and a 1TB SSD no problems.
sorry what im asking is can u have the expansion card plus two usb drives giving you a total of 4 drives with games on as with the xbox one line up you was only able to have two external drives plus the internal making it a total of 3 and from what ive seen the expansion card is classed as a external drive

thank you so much
Don't thank me just yet...

My other USB drive is only 2.0, and my USB 3.0 stick is only 64gb (needs to be min 128gb)!

So sorry about that! But, does one really need all that space?😅😊

i dont but i have 20years of digital games plus im just curious

i dont but i have 20years of digital games plus im just curious
I'm sure someone would be able to check for you, or try posting on the xbox community forums?

I'm curious now also 😂😂

Yes it should work, you can add Ext HDDs to each usb port. And I'm certain a member on here has all of them used and the expansion card.

I have several drives connected to my Series X.

1TB SSD (connected via a USB 3.0 hub)
2TB SSHD (connected via USB 3.0 hub)
8TB HDD (connected via USB 3.0 hub)
1TB Xbox Expansion Card

All work fine together. I use a powered USB hub to save on cables running up to the console but I don't think that would make a difference.

I remember reading many years ago the Xbox One only supported a maximum of 3 drives so I wasn't sure adding the 1TB Expansion Card would work without unplugging a drive but it did (I guess MS either upped the limit or the fact that the Expansion Cards go via the PCI-E lanes like the internal drive instead of USB makes a difference).

Last edited:
Can you play games from them all?

Can you play games from them all?

Yes. All the games show up in my game library and I can play them as normal.

It's great being able to go from playing 1st generation Xbox games all the way to current generation Series S|X games without having to plug any extra consoles or having to find old discs/DVDs. :thumbsup:

Great thanks for confirming!

I have several drives connected to my Series X.

1TB SSD (connected via a USB 3.0 hub)
2TB SSHD (connected via USB 3.0 hub)
8TB HDD (connected via USB 3.0 hub)
1TB Xbox Expansion Card

All work fine together. I use a powered USB hub to save on cables running up to the console but I don't think that would make a difference.

I remember reading many years ago the Xbox One only supported a maximum of 3 drives so I wasn't sure adding the 1TB Expansion Card would work without unplugging a drive but it did (I guess MS either upped the limit or the fact that the Expansion Cards go via the PCI-E lanes like the internal drive instead of USB makes a difference).

That's a lot of storage...are you some kind of storage fetishist? :p

I seem to be having a problem with one of my drives, its a 1TB SSD connected to one of the USB ports, I occasionally get a message that ‘the Xbox can see the device, but there isn’t enough to power to power it up’ or words to that effect. It then locks up the Xbox until I un-connect it.

I have a 5TB HDD, and a 1TB Expansion Card also connected

I seem to be having a problem with one of my drives, its a 1TB SSD connected to one of the USB ports, I occasionally get a message that ‘the Xbox can see the device, but there isn’t enough to power to power it up’ or words to that effect. It then locks up the Xbox until I un-connect it.

I have a 5TB HDD, and a 1TB Expansion Card also connected
Does it do it in all of the USB ports?

Guess it works OK on something else? Hard to say if xbox at fault without trying a different one on it.

My external will sometimes drop out and reconnect, but it did that on my One X also.

Guess it works OK on something else? Hard to say if xbox at fault without trying a different one on it.

My external will sometimes drop out and reconnect, but it did that on my One X also.
Yeah, I must try it on my Mac….it does work if I connected back in after a while the Xbox has been running though…and I can see it in my storage devices in the settings

Edit: Maybe a powered hub might work?

Yeah, I must try it on my Mac….it does work if I connected back in after a while the Xbox has been running though…and I can see it in my storage devices in the settings

Edit: Maybe a powered hub might work?
Certainly sounds like it need a bit of extra juice.

Well today I tried with a powered USB hub, but I’m sorry to say it didn’t work.

I’ll just have to make sure the external SDD is unplugged when first booting the Series X up.

Very strange :thumbsdow
What SSD and controller/adaptor are you using?

I've no issues with my Crucial 2TB SATA SSD via the StarTech SATA to USB 3.1 adaptor (Cable SATA to USB with UASP - SATA 2.5' - Drive Adapters and Drive Converters | United Kingdom).
Before the above, I also had no issue using a SanDisk Ultra II SATA SSD via the StarTech 3.0 adaptor.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom