How many downloaded games do you own?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Rorifett, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,235
    I've been thinking a bit more about the digital media format of games - in essence I always fear that they'll be removed at a moments notice and potentially could be lost forever if I had to upgrade a console etc however I do tend to buy quite a lot as I love the convenience and the 'small scale' style of the games so I did a wee count the other night.

Looks like I've bought around 70 arcade games and around 20-30 indie games, will need to do a re-count to get proper figures but thought might rank quite highly amongst the AVFers, so I'll ask the question, how many XBLA and XBLIG games have you bought and how do you feel about the digital media?

2. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I've got about 170 XBLA games and about 40 indie games.

I don't really have too many worries about games just disappearing. All of the paid-for content on Live that's been delisted is still available to re-download. If I was that concerned, there are ways to back up a 360 hard drive anyway.

I obviously love downloadable games, given the number I own. I love the big blockbuster AAA titles too, but there are loads of games that you would only ever get via a download as they'd never be released if discs were the only option. The gap between the quality of disc-based games and downloadable XBLA games has closed loads in recent years and "games are games" to me - the format they're on doesn't make one game better than another. I think the Clash of Heroes game released on XBLA last year was better than 90% of the disc-based games I played, for instance.

I see gripes on gaming forums about lack of originality with disc-based games as companies are willing to take fewer risks due to the cost, so you get more FPS titles released in a year than anything else, and that's why I love downloadable titles on Xbox Live - there's more games, more variety, cheaper prices, and free demos of all of them. If someone only wants to buy a 360 to play COD every night, that's fine too, but there does seem to be a bit of a stigma attached to downloadable games for some reason.

3. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Ive got my fair share of arcade games, probably 50ish.

I think my love for them stems from being an old school gamer at heart, so ive got a real soft spot for platformers, side scrolling beat em ups, shooters, etc.

I was now going to list the other reasons i love them, but i think DJSigma summed it up nicely.

4. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    i think ive got about 30 XBLA games. Plus Resi 4 and Crysis that arent available anywhere else.

As poster above, most of the stuff i have bought is either older arcade games i remember from the past, or games from older consoles (i have both Banjo Kazooies, Beyond Good And Evil Etc)

So for things like this im all for digital

As for the Games on demand service, im nowhere near convinced on that. My main problem would be hardware screwing up meaning you lost everything and pricing. Until games are released that offer a considerable discount on there disc based counterparts, im never going to be in for this

5. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534

6. Huskbreacher

Huskbreacher
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got all the classic Sonic games including the excellent Sonic CD, not really seen anything else that catches my eye except Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

7. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I've got about 50 XBLA games and about 15 Indie games (some of which have been bought accidently!)

I love the whole downloadable game scene and think you get some real gems that would never be released otherwise.

8. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    0......I like to own the disc.

9. The New Guy

The New Guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I buy older games from XBLA, recent purchases include the excellent Ghostbusters and Pure. Crysis, Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 and a few others. I don't mind downloading titles, its very convenient. New titles however will only be played from disc as DL media is to expensive for newer games. If they scraped high street disc sales tomorrow and offered downloadable media at a better price I would have no complaints.

10. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Apparently i have 30 XBLA games which is more than I thought. XBLA games have got so good nowadays.

Bastion, Limbo, Braid are fantastic artistic games which I would rank above probably 80% of disc based games.

Super Meat Boy, Spolsion Man & Renegade Ops have great game play which is just downright addictive.

Rex HD, Bomberman Live and Sonic scratch my nostaligia itch.

Plus now we are getting neat titles like Orcs Must Die and Poker Smash (yeah that's right Poker Smash! look it up!) which take tired game play like tower defense and Poker and put a fun spin on it.

Never really got into Indie Games mainly because MS seem to like hiding it away, it wasn't great in the last dash but now i have no idea, i should probably give it a shot...

11. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    For me I am apprehensive about Arcade/Indie downloadable games:

1. Never heard of the games titles
    2. Worried about getting value for money (Play time, longevity)
    3. Are there Add Ons?
    4. Are there Patches and Support?
    5. Games don't look appealing
    6. Download sizes are small
    7. Classic games just have nostalgic value, good for going down memory lane, but would I pay for that privilege?

However, this year I'm willing to give them a try as they all have demos and some of the Arcade titles look pretty good. I know that Super Meat Boy is massively popular maybe it has to do with the gameplay that makes it addictive.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,235
    1. The XBLA and XBLIG sections here showcase most of the good ones, there's not many games that are worthwhile playing that slip under the radar, I would sort the threads by either views or replies to catch up with older ones for a wee read through
    2. Some of the best value and longevity comes from the XBLA games, I'm sure there are millions of painful thumbs out there from Geomoetry Wars or TrialsHD playing, some games are 'cut-down' length games but there are some that put the 5-8hours full-release FPS' games to shame
    3. Like disc-based games there are some with DLC and some without, quite often it depends how well a game has done but there are some games that just have DLC because the developer loves the game and wants to give more to the community (SMB is a prime example!)
    4. Again, like disc-based games some developers patch and update a lot, others not so often but there generally isn't as many issues with the arcade/indie game releases in the first instance as the scope of game is smaller
    5. Games like Shadow Complex, Braid, Limbo all have a fairly unique look to them and I would say they can help showcase the platform :)
    6. Download sizes being small is a good thing surely? Means more games per GB ;) size is creeping up as the scope of games gets larger though, quite a few 2gb games out there on the platform.
    7. Classic games should, in the most, be confined to memory I feel, they're never as good as I remember them... However the XBLA and XBLIG platforms are soooo much more than just Space Raider reboots, there's the odd re-imagining of games but there are lots of new IPs out there too which bring the classic gameplay but in a new shiny skin.

Can't recommend the XBLA and XBLIG format highly enough :thumbsup:

13. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Yeah, it's definitely worth grabbing the demos for a few of the bigger and more popular titles. As for value for money, if you're buying pre-paid MSP cards than the most you'll pay for any of the games on XBLA is about 8 or 9 quid so I think on average they offer at least as good value for money as disc-based games (based on buying them new at release), if not better. There are deals every week where a handful of games are usually reduced by 50% too, so you can grab some real bargains.

You can find plenty of "top 20 XBLA games"-type lists online, so that's a good way to get started. Here's IGN's top 10 best XBLA games of 2011 for example: -

The Best XBLA Games of 2011 - XBL Feature at IGN

I don't agree with the list, but every game on the list is well worth checking out.

14. VivaFathom

VivaFathom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I own 105 Arcades and 5 xbox originals.

I play the arcades just as much as the retail, over the past couple of years the "arcade" games have come along way thanks to Steam and alot of other Indie Studios doing really well in the sector.

I think Microsoft are kicking themselves for putting a size limit on arcades to begin with, didn't leave developers much room to make the games they wanted but now they can an we're seeing the best times for indies ever. The next year looks amazing for small games and HD remasters/remakes.

15. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Super Meat Boy is one of my favourite games from this generation on any format, including retail.
    Its definitely the gameplay that makes the game (although the graphics also have a certain charm to them).
    The big winner for me though is the controls. Its got the tightest and most responsive controls its possible to get, which is good because in the later levels you need pixel perfect movements to get through.
    A lot of people are put off because its hard (and it is), but its never unfair. if theres a section you cant do then you know its your fault and you just need to practice the level a bit more.
    I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Its got that "one more time" factor that games are mostly lacking these days.
    Getting to 100% and full gamerscore is one of my greatest ever achievements in gaming.

16. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    With retail disc based games I am willing to "risk" purchasing some games merely because the price within a couple of months have come down significantly compared to release day prices.

With XBLA you just don't see those price reductions for the AAA XBLA games as the price is controlled by Microsoft. It's a shame as many games will escape the radar for people who just buy games because it's cheap (But this is down to buying habits).

Additionally there is little or no marketing with XBLA titles so people like me are not even aware of what's out or what genre the game falls into. I think MS should start promoting Arcade games more, even if it means an area dedicated to it on the dashboard.

17. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Lots of XBLA games go on sale though to be fair, usually for 33%-50% off.

XBLA is better than retail in some ways, cos there's a guaranteed demo for every single game. There's also a description of the game along with what genre it's in and some screenshots when you look in the Marketplace. Sometimes there's preview videos too. New games are released on Wednesdays, so I usually grab the demos and give them a quick bash.

18. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    What is interesting now is that almost every Indie and Arcade dev is complaining about the new dashboard and I gotta agree with them.

As a developer for Xbox 360 Indie Games, how do you feel indie games are represented on the Xbox Dashboard/Marketplace?

Ever since the new dashboard, things haven't been looking good. I'm sure everybody knows how hard it is to find the Indie Game channel, and that it's almost impossible to even browse the catalogue! Everything was fine before the most recent update, yet it seems Microsoft have gone out of their way to hide the channel, and don't want people to view it.
    If Microsoft are still serious about keeping the channel alive, they need to completely rehaul it order to be successful. Something new added to Indie Game, like achievements, would breathe new life into them, yet I doubt it's something we are ever going to see.

Interview: Sticky DPad Games | Wethegamerz

19. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
  20. Beximus

Beximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Agree - it should be easier to find the indie games. If you really want to go there, you'll eventually find it which is far from ideal. Casual gamers just won't bother to look.

I've got 4 downloaded games, and a few Rock Band tracks. That's about it. I like having the actualy discs for things.

21. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,235
    I was reading something the other day about someone saying they liked to own the physical CD and that music didn't 'feel' right without having the media on something they could hold... Funnily enough though their child was the polar opposite having grown up with digital music and couldn't think why you'd want a physical disc, I'm sure all these things change with various age groups, unfortunately us olders will have to just go with what's catered for the youngsters are getting though.

22. RandomLee

RandomLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,805
    I'm another one who still prefers physical media... be it games, music, magazines etc.

As such I only have one full downloaded game which Crysis 2. I got the code free from Game because they screwed up my GoW 3 pre-order code. I haven't even played it yet but that's Skyrim's fault :)

I do have a few Arcade games too though:

Bomberman Live
    Small Arms
    Paperboy
    Streetfighter II
    Doom
    Super Meat Boy
    Mad Tracks
    Costume Quest
    Trials HD
    Worms
    Worms 2
    Peggle
    Pinball FX
    Sonic
    WOTB: Commando 3
    Boom Boom Rocket
    Hexic HD

Slightly off topic but when browsing Playstation Store the other day (I'm new to PS3) I noticed that some full games are £45! I wouldn't even pay that much for a brand new game on release day, nevermind a digitial copy! It's all very well having a free network but you can see how they make it back between new game prices and their Playstation Plus service. I only bought it it to catch up on exlcusives anyway, so it's of no real concern as they're all cheap as chips now :)

23. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Paperboy, that brings back memories :D

I can't find it in the Arcade on XBL though :confused:

24. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The prices of games on demand are the same on xbox to be fair.
    Black ops is £45, so is Mortal Kombat (even though the GOTY edition is out in a couple of weeks for £25!!). Halo Reach was £60 until it got a price drop recently.

I just dont understand the reasoning behind why they charge so much for digital downloads when theyre saving money on packaging, distribution, etc. But i guess there must be people out there stupid enough to pay the inflated price just because they cant be bothered getting up and changing discs every now and then :D

25. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    I don't have any because I've not really seen any reason to buy any, simply because I have so many disc still to play that there's no point in me buying more.

Been tempted by Code Veronica though, for some reason I have the odd idea that it won't look the same as it would if I ran it of disc, or it'll stop halfway through the download and balls up.

Going to have to see how many mb (hopefully not gb) it is before I get it, I think if they start putting up humongous full 1080p games (not that there are many of those) then those with download limits could run into problems. I bet with all the new tv/vid services there will already be plenty close to download limit.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  26. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    I regularly flick between games so I'm up and down a bit, I don't mind that bit but it gets annoying putting the disc away in its box when you know your going to want it out again in an hour. It would be so awesome if the next consoles held two disc at once, like those cd things that can take loads, I would pay a good bit of cash for that.

27. RandomLee

RandomLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,805
    I just checked and it was delisted along with all other Midway games back in 09 when they filed for bankruptcy and were then bought over and renamed by Warner Bros.

Shame :(

To be honest I didn't actually realise new releases were that much on the 360! £45 for Black Ops :eek:

Games on Demand or whatever it's called is not a section of XBL I ever really visit though.

You're right too, some people are more than happy to pay over the odds and as long as they are then companies like MS and Sony can get away with charging that much.

28. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    The games are way over priced on live. The only one I have brought so far is Resi Evil 4 because I never managed to complete it before my GC broke