1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many do you Buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by General Skanky, Jul 28, 2000.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    How many R1 discs do you buy compared to R2?
    Personally, at every opportunity, I buy R1. No contest.

------------------
    Guy
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

[​IMG]

I have around 250 Region 1s (or Region 0s NTSC) and 12 Region 2s.

Region 2 will never catch up because of the censorship thang and the fact that our tabloids don't like Video Nasties™The Sun

It's not all bad news though, because there's a few great Region 2s and we'll always get more. Plus the Americans are just starting to click that they can't play 'our' DVDs...heh heh.

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

© 2000 Carol Vorderman™. All right reserved.

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 01-08-2000).]

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I think people are giving R2 titles a bit of a hard time.

Yes they get censored but many people were happy with videos and some people are content with just R2 software.

I got my first R1 player back in 97 and am coming up to just over 200 R1 DVDs and about 50 or 60 R2s. I can get most of them for 11.99 so its not bad

4. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I think people are giving R2 titles a bit of a hard time.

Yes they get censored but many people were happy with videos and some people are content with just R2 software.

I got my first R1 player back in 97 and am coming up to just over 200 R1 DVDs and about 50 or 60 R2s. I can get most of them for 11.99 so its not bad

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    R1 is the original thing. R2 seem like poor seconds and will always annoy me. For example:- in Cuthroat Island, Mad Dog shoots his first mate/sailor bloke which is edited quite obviously on PAL LD (assume same on DVD), and yet go to any other point of the film, and you will see many a person get blasted, skewered and killed regular as clockwork, Why?
    R1 at least won't offend my viewing tastes.
    Sorry R2, but I'm a big boy now.

------------------
    Guy

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 R0 (3 of they Criterion from US)
    2 R1 Canadian version
    65 R1 US
    111 R2 UK

I always go for the best version available and I plan to replace any when a much better version comes out.

Preorders:
    0 R0
    30 R1 US
    12 R2

I have started to get in to all the classic horror films etc since I collecting DVDs but as most of the films I want will be cut in the UK I will be ordering a lot more R1/R0 titles, especially unrated films from Anchor Bay (all the LE tins) And for Fox (with DTS)and Buena Vista R1 seems the only way to go.

[This message has been edited by CW2000 (edited 29-07-2000).]

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    The censorship issue is one which will never go away, but also one which even the biggest film fan will agree is nescersary in some way or another.

Take Eraser, how badly was this cut, even for a UK cinema release, which i think was 18. I got it on NTSC LD and it had lots of little bits that had been cut, but to be honest that did not make much difference and again majority of poeple will never know. Now its video release was terrible, but we all know that most arnie fans are kids so you can kinda see the point.

At the end of the day proabbly 80 % or more will not even realise a film has been cut, and many are happy with there off the shelf at Dixons player and there R2 software. We should be thankful of these people each one helps support DVD in a small way.

Also R2 releases are improving, look at Sleepy Hollow, Stigmata and host of other new releases, even the time dealy for new releases is getting better.

My one main criticism of DVD is the number of poor quality back issue titles that there are, and also that older releases are still retailing the same as newer ones.

What we need now is for the companies to reduce the price of titles 12 months or more old to the 9.99 mark. This would really boodt the market

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The censor thing can also 'go the other way', it depends on the type of film. Generally, if it's violence the R2 will have more cuts, but anything to do with sex, & it'll be the R1 which has the most cuts.
    (Eyes Wide Shut being a prime example)

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 30-07-2000).]

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm just kicking past the 45 R1 mark with about 5 R2, 3 I won in a competition. And about 50 approx. NTSC LD, 20 approx. PAL LD when Encore had their 'get rid' sale.
    All future DVD will be R1.

------------------
    Guy

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of my 600 or so only 10% are R2. Rest are R1, R0 or R4.

And to be blunt a lot of the R2 have been impulse buys for the kids like Labyrinth, Rugrats etc.

------------------
    neil@dvd-debate.com