1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many devices off one socket?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Pezerinno, May 11, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, how many devices would you say was safe to have running off of one socket. Do you think a LCD TV, DVD, PVR, DAC and AMP would be ok all running off from one socket using a Belkin surgemaster 6-way adapter? Could it interfer or hamper the performance of something like the amp (Arcam FMJ A32)?

Thanks. Nick.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Should be just fine, the safe thing to do is add up the total current use from the products and make sure it's not greater than about 9Amps. :)

3. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have 8 devices coming off an Olsen Sound Fantastic. They include 2 big amps, my TV, DVD recorder and various other Hi-Fi bits. Not sure how safe it is but it's been running fine like this for a while now and I still have a home to go to at night [fingers crossed].

4. butchershook

butchershook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The average domestic ring main is rated at 30A and the spur to your six way is rated at 13A. Asuming 230v mains thats up to 3kW of continuous power available. Your equipment will unlikely need even 1/3 of that at an outside estimate so it's perfectly safe. The cause of most electrical fires are arcing connections so periodically examine the pins on your mains plugs and discard any that feel hot to the touch or look blackened or pitted. If any are found also change the extension.