How Many Current Hollywood Black Actresses Can You Name?

Kevo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title says.

I brought this up in our xmas pub lunch today and everyone said the obvious Halle Berry (who is actually half caste or even 'quarter caste' on screen after make up), after that just a few blank, guilty expressions.

There are several black Hollwood actors/stars at the moment, but how many current black actresses can you name off the top of your head (not half caste or 'latino' and without looking up imdb)?

Not many.
Pretty sad really isn't it?

Hi there

Could only think of two myslef, Halle Berry and Whoopi Goldberg. There was also the one who married Tyson but her names gone from me, did see make any films:confused:

Cheers Holo :smashin: :smashin:

Hi there

Could only think of two myslef, Halle Berry and Whoopi Goldberg. There was also the one who married Tyson but her names gone from me, did see make any films:confused:

Cheers Holo :smashin: :smashin:

Robin Givens? Im sure she was in a film with Eddy Murphy.:confused:
Jada Pinkett Smith.
Not current so much but what about Pam Grier, Oprah Winfrey?

I brought this up in our xmas pub lunch today and everyone said the obvious Halle Berry (who is actually half caste or even 'quarter caste' on screen after make up), after that just a few blank, guilty expressions.

Some people may take offence with using caste :blush:

Some people may take offence with using caste :blush:

My apologies, no offence intended. It's a term that I still hear used often. What is the correct 'PC term'?

thandie newton:thumbsup:

My apologies, no offence intended. It's a term that I still hear used often. What is the correct 'PC term'?

Half caste is a term used in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking parts of the world. An example is a child of black African and white European parentage. The term mulatto has also been used for this particular mixture. Both terms are considered impolite and potentially offensive by some, as the words have been used pejoratively in the past to ostracize and isolate the offspring of such unions. For example, "children of the plantation" (the children of African-American slaves and their European-American masters in the U.S. Southern states) were not accepted as heirs, and in most cases, the relationship was never acknowledged, and "half-caste" conveyed the deliberate exclusion.

The coloureds of South Africa and the half-breeds of North America are further examples. The term was commonly used in Australia to describe children of mixed Australian Aboriginal and European descent, as were the terms quarter-caste and quadroon in the 19th century. Today, they are generally deemed offensive, particularly by Australian Aborigines [citation needed].

The current politically correct way to describe a person of multiple ethnicities is "mixed race" or - particularly in the United States - multiracial.

Merry Xmas.

I went into PC World the other day...blimey you have to be careful what you say in there!!!!!

Jada Pinkett Smith
Santha Lantern (spelling?) AvP

Gabrielle Union

thandie newton:thumbsup:
beaten to it:)

Since you're talking cinematically how about other ethnic groups like Asian women that appear in big screen movies ... how many can you think of?

Michelle Yeoh, Lucy Liu, Zhang Zi Yi , Maggie Q(MI:3), Sho Qui(spelling??)(Transporter)

don' know her name, but the one in crash. I'm sure I've seen her in other films aswell. she was the first to spring to mind.

guilty expressions.

why should they feel guilty about it? :confused:, unless some of them were casting directors.

And of course, as touched upon in this thread, it depends what is meant as a 'black' actress (no offence intentioned)

Whitney Houston (Bodyguard), Nia Long (Boiler Room), Marion Ramsey (Police Academy), Nona Gaye (Crash/Matrix Revolutions)... and I is not black.

Excuding Halle Berry (who is 'mixed race', which imo doesn't sound much 'politer' than other terms used, but anyway), then there aren't really many 'household names' like their male counterparts, other than the 'novelty pop singer/cross over' actresses who come with a 'ready made fan base.
Not sure you're average joe would know many of the names mentioned in this thread (even myself), although having looked them up, the faces and films they are in are quite familiar.

Here's an interesting article from 2002!...

http://www.mahoganycafe.com/blackactresses10.html

don' know her name, but the one in crash. I'm sure I've seen her in other films aswell. she was the first to spring to mind.

That's Thandie Newton mentioned a few times above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom