How Many Channels to Feed Built-In B&W 3.1.2 Soundbar

megagold5

I was wondering what people who have a Philips TVs with the built-in B&W soundbars feed it in terms of channels. I have a 65PML9635 TV for reference.

I am no expert, nor any kind of audiophile, but my understanding of the 3.1.2 setup is that it has 3 main speakers, 1 tweeter and 2 upfiring for "atmos". This seems to sit somewhere between 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround, so I have been playing around trying to spot any discernible difference between sending the two types to the soundbar and I haven't really noticed much to be honest, although I do struggle with sound direction sometimes anyway. Regardless of what I send it, the main speakers seem to play everything except voice, the tweeter plays most voices and Im not really sure that the upfiring drivers do anything haha.

Anyone else given this much thought?

Side note: Dont get me wrong, this is the best soundbar/speaker setup I have had for TV watching thanks to the tweeter for voices, makes them much clearer. It isnt as good for music as the previous JBL Bar 5.0 I had though. Not by a long shot.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom