1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many channels is pl2 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Suki, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Suki

Suki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3802 and currently have it set up with 5 speakers and a sub - I am about to invest in a single rear channel speaker and reconfigure the amp accordingly.
    As I watch a lot of sky in pl2 will I get anything out of the centre rear channel or not ?
    If not how about if I use the dts neo6 instead - I think so ,yes ?

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pl2 = Dolby Pro Logic 2, yes?

If this is the case then no, DPLII or will not give you back-surround material. Neo:6 will, but tends to suffer more surround channel audio bleeding.

Adam

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    DTS Neo 6.1 will give you something out of the Surround Back channel.

PL2, dont know as I havent got it yet.

4. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use PLII extensively for all broadcasts received via my SKY box, , including music mode on the music channels, and from VHS VCR. PLII will give you a near(ish) 5.1 experience, and uses both rear channels (unlike PL which just gives you 'mono' rear'). Thoroughly recommend it - in fact, I'm struggling to find a good all-in-one bedroom system since so few have PLII, and I consider it a MUST HAVE for everybody other than those who use DVD as their main source...

5. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The short answer is YES you will get somthing from the rear centre channel when using DPLII.

What you will actually get is a matrixed version of the two rear surround channels created by the Denon (I think) . i.e. A similar thing that you will get from the rear centre when watching a 5.1 movie.

6. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why the 'surround back ch output' indicator is on the front panel... As soon as this lights up 'something' is sent to the SB-speaker(s).
    As to what this 'something' may be for PLII, I think it's some sort of downmix of the left and right surrounds.

- Tom -